Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

by 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

i went 105 in my 06 corolla...ran outa highway room to go faster lol...

car felt fine..nothing wrong wit handling or bumps or anythin..

I personally have only had my Corolla travel at a speed of 75 mph. Honestly, I do not know why you would want to go much faster than that for the obvious reasons. First of all, you don't want to chance getting caught by a trooper and secondly why would you want to risk engine damage or transmission damage. The engine on a Toyota Corolla is not exactly a high performance engine. It does not have mods that enable it to be healthy at the high speeds you are speaking of.

Also, keep in mind the brakes were not designed to stop you while traveling at these high speeds. You risk overheating and warping your rotors, not to mention blowing out the tires! The tires are not high performance either!

Hello! I have a 95 DX 7A-FE, I was in Atlanta, Ga this past Summer working and on one of my trips back down to FL I topped out @ 115mph. It felt like it would in deed go faster if I pushed a bit more, but with a bad alignment and mismatched tires I quickly slowed it back down to reasonable cruising speeds. I used my GPS to get the most accurate speedo reading, since my speedo is 4mph faster than the actual speed.

Not much on the mods, I modified the stock air box + Fram Airhog filter, Bosch Plat+2 plugs & wires. Everything else...stock.

I personally have only had my Corolla travel at a speed of 75 mph. Honestly, I do not know why you would want to go much faster than that for the obvious reasons. First of all, you don't want to chance getting caught by a trooper and secondly why would you want to risk engine damage or transmission damage. The engine on a Toyota Corolla is not exactly a high performance engine. It does not have mods that enable it to be healthy at the high speeds you are speaking of.

Also, keep in mind the brakes were not designed to stop you while traveling at these high speeds. You risk overheating and warping your rotors, not to mention blowing out the tires! The tires are not high performance either!

I would agree with you about the tires (if they are stock), but I would have to disagree about the engine getting damaged from going fast. As long as the water pump, coolant, and oil and plugs are in good shape, the engine can do what Toyota lets it do. Also, with the stock tires, it's not so much that they are unsafe at speeds, but the side walls are wussy and I wouldn't trust them. The speed limiter is put in place because of the tires that come on the car. A car might have one to keep a car in a class, or for insurance reasons, but they can't let the car leave the factory with a speed limit higher then what the tires are rated for.

I had ours over 100 once cause we were running late for something. That was with XRS tires and rims. I wouldn't have done it on the stock tires. The engine wasn't stressed, the car drove just fine.

Bikeman982

Good points. There really is a lot of risk going that fast in your car on a public road.

The engine and tranny

The engine and tranny will probably not be damaged if it has oil and coolant - as long as it does not rev too hogh for too long.

The braking distance would be greatly increased at the higher speeds and a panic stop will probably result in an accident.

People do like to see what their car can do and maybe just once - push their car a little.

Ive gone 110mph, it takes a little while but its possible with the 4afe. The car starts to get very loud around 80 (3 speed) and then gets quiet again from there, I've had no handling issues at higher speeds, but still plan on lowering it and getting a strut tower brace.

Bikeman982

Ive gone 110mph, it takes a little while but its possible with the 4afe. The car starts to get very loud around 80 (3 speed) and then gets quiet again from there, I've had no handling issues at higher speeds, but still plan on lowering it and getting a strut tower brace.
I could go 110MPH, but it isn't necessary.

125 mph in my '93 Camry Wagon LE ( i miss my wagon ) ( wasn't capped, just ran outa room.... ppl, don't sit in the left lane, and pass w/ the utmost haste )

just got my '03 Corolla LE, had it up to 90+ mph on the interstate with no problems, and didn't seem like it took to much to get her up there either.

Guest DAKMOR

My brother got my family's Corolla up to 106. mild traffic, but they were all doing 90 anyway.

Ridiculously cool feeling.

Bikeman982

125 mph in my '93 Camry Wagon LE ( i miss my wagon ) ( wasn't capped, just ran outa room.... ppl, don't sit in the left lane, and pass w/ the utmost haste )

just got my '03 Corolla LE, had it up to 90+ mph on the interstate with no problems, and didn't seem like it took to much to get her up there either.

I call people in the left lane "Left Laners". I have seen them go directly from the right lane on the freeway to the left lane and never move from there, regardless of who is behind them and how fast they want to go. In CA it seems to be a common ocurrance for people to be "Road Hogs" and never pull over for faster traffic. I find it annoying when I want to go fast.

I call people in the left lane "Left Laners". I have seen them go directly from the right lane on the freeway to the left lane and never move from there, regardless of who is behind them and how fast they want to go. In CA it seems to be a common ocurrance for people to be "Road Hogs" and never pull over for faster traffic. I find it annoying when I want to go fast.

i thought you never speed? default_tongue

Bikeman982

i thought you never speed? default_tongue

Only when I am in a hurry.

Guest thebeard03

Around christmas time, i had to travel about 120 miles from college to home, and I fell in a group that was averaging around 85-90 mph. BMW 3 series, a 8th gen Corolla S, mitsubishi eclipse GSR, and my 07 CE corolla. I was behind the eclipse, which had a big wing spoiler on it. I dont know whether it was the draft from that, or that there were no crosswinds.. at all, or the highway was just smooth, but the car handled VERY well. No bumping, no loss of control. I was listening to NPR at one point ("wait wait dont tell me", they had mo rocca on, hilarious). Anyways, once the bmw and the other corolla disappeared, the eclipse noticed me behind it and started to take off.. and I started with it. I hit my 115 mph limiter and the car stopped accelerating.. his didnt.. but he slowed down to around 85 again. I filled the tank b4 I left, and at the end of the trip, I'd averaged 40 mpg (I'd spent 5 gallons at 200 miles, so some of it was in the city, i just wished i'd taken a picture or something)

I've gone 97 in my '93 Rolla but it shook pretty badly. I went 96 in a family member's '95 Rolla and that felt nice and smooth. Living in CA I fear the CHP though; they're everywhere.

Bikeman982

Around christmas time, i had to travel about 120 miles from college to home, and I fell in a group that was averaging around 85-90 mph. BMW 3 series, a 8th gen Corolla S, mitsubishi eclipse GSR, and my 07 CE corolla. I was behind the eclipse, which had a big wing spoiler on it. I dont know whether it was the draft from that, or that there were no crosswinds.. at all, or the highway was just smooth, but the car handled VERY well. No bumping, no loss of control. I was listening to NPR at one point ("wait wait dont tell me", they had mo rocca on, hilarious). Anyways, once the bmw and the other corolla disappeared, the eclipse noticed me behind it and started to take off.. and I started with it. I hit my 115 mph limiter and the car stopped accelerating.. his didnt.. but he slowed down to around 85 again. I filled the tank b4 I left, and at the end of the trip, I'd averaged 40 mpg (I'd spent 5 gallons at 200 miles, so some of it was in the city, i just wished i'd taken a picture or something)
That's pretty good. It seems like my gas gauge is tied to my speed - the faster I go, the faster the fuel burns.

At 100 MPH I could go thru a tank of gas very quickly.

I've had mine up to about 100MPH or so, still had two gears to go..

I've heard that limit on an XRS is 125MPH... Anyone know if this is true?

I've had mine up to about 100MPH or so, still had two gears to go..

I've heard that limit on an XRS is 125MPH... Anyone know if this is true?

On the 2005-2006 Corolla XRS, it is electronically governed to 130MPH - but I wouldn't take it that high unless you had the right tires and a straight track run on a closed course.

Luckily it came with Michelin Pilot Primacys V-rated @ 149 MPh., however I don't see a need to test the limiter..

Thanks for the info. default_smile

Bikeman982

Luckily it came with Michelin Pilot Primacys V-rated @ 149 MPh., however I don't see a need to test the limiter..

Thanks for the info. default_smile

If you do 125 MPH on a public road, you would probably be creating a recipe for a disaster. You would get the attention of the traffic police and/or be in a very difficult position if you had an accident.

Here in the flatlands, it would be very easy to find a road capable of testing the speed limiting electronics of my car.

Even with the upraded components of the Xrs and the car does feel comfortable at higher speeds, no need to go 130Mph. Guess I'm more responsible these days.. Haha..

If I want to play, well that's what my 69 BB chevelle is for.. Once I get done with the frame off completed..lol...

By far, my favorite thing about the corolla is the fact that the steering wheel will not rattle. Most other cars I have had the wheel will rattle somewhere between 55-75 and only gets worse from there.

Bikeman982

I have no problem with the steering wheel rattling at any speed I do in my car.

Good tires and suspension helps as well as proper alignment.

I normally drive on the highway up to 80mph in my 2000 Corolla LE. Sometimes when I'm not paying attention I get up to 90mph. At >=90mph my Corolla just doesn't feel very safe, not sure if that is the car or me.

Bikeman982

Going faster than 90 MPH is not advisable. One bad driver and there would be a deadly accident.

I have an auto 1.8L, I think ive touched 100, and then stopped at that point...

Dont really speed much anymore.

Topic List