Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

by 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

JeffG has the best answer. just dont speed! its a corolla, not a porsche.

but in saying that, I know I cant follow the words I preach... so i wont (preach,that its).

I think I got the 02CE upto 95 and rising, when I realized that my exit was coming up.

DyGhst,

I assume that you are talking about the limitter (sp?!). I dont know of any "auto shut-off", which sounds scary.

The short air shouldnt do anything in terms of top speed. I believe it will give you better response though.

BTW, Did you find that your engine sounds louder with it?

That was the only difference I felt since putting one on. Mind you, its some cheap a$$ thing I got on ebay. I do NOT recommend it. The arm is too long and does not fit properly, although the label on the box says "-02 Corolla &..." Should have stayed with genuine HKS (like my other vehicles).

but thats another topic.

my 2bits,

tdk

Bikeman982

You don't have to speed, but if you do - keep it less than 9 MPH over the limit.

I dont know... Ive been hit for like 12 over reduced to 9... I think if the cop want to pull you over he / she will. I know a Co worker that was in Sierra Vista AZ... Major Speed Trap... He got pulled over for 2MPH over !!! No joke... No ticket but he was warned! Lol...

Bikeman982

I dont know... Ive been hit for like 12 over reduced to 9... I think if the cop want to pull you over he / she will. I know a Co worker that was in Sierra Vista AZ... Major Speed Trap... He got pulled over for 2MPH over !!! No joke... No ticket but he was warned! Lol...
I think radar guns have a plus or minus variance of 3 MPH and they can't ticket you for 2 MPH over - you could contest it in court and win easily with that argument.

I took mine up to 100 yesterday coming down I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix. Car felt so-so kinda stable. You can tell a slight difference in handling with different rims. Number one, the alloy rims 15" or 16's will handle better than the stock rims w/caps on them like I have. I got the car like this because I will eventually put on 17's. Number two, the car is slightly top heavy because of the ground clearance. This is why I want to lower mine 2". Number three, The car is probably governed at 110 because of the speed rating on the tires. Most typical car tires are speed rated up to 130mph max unless you get high performance tires. This is done for Federal accident safety compliance as well as to protect Toyota's ###### from liability.

Bikeman982

I took mine up to 100 yesterday coming down I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix. Car felt so-so kinda stable. You can tell a slight difference in handling with different rims. Number one, the alloy rims 15" or 16's will handle better than the stock rims w/caps on them like I have. I got the car like this because I will eventually put on 17's. Number two, the car is slightly top heavy because of the ground clearance. This is why I want to lower mine 2". Number three, The car is probably governed at 110 because of the speed rating on the tires. Most typical car tires are speed rated up to 130mph max unless you get high performance tires. This is done for Federal accident safety compliance as well as to protect Toyota's ###### from liability.
Cars are governed??

Speed Governor - keeps the Corolla on the ground. default_biggrin

Some older cars have a mechanical governer in the transaxle, most newer fuel injected cars are electronic and msot are programmed into the ECM.

Bikeman982

I never knew the cars were governed - I just thought it was a limit to their capability when they topped out.

Very true, some cars are "drag limited" - which is truely the limit of the cars capabilities (ie. the amount of power to overcome all drag forces on the car is exceeded in that case).

The Corolla being a pretty light car - even 100HP to the wheels will get you to up to 125MPH - way beyond what the suspension and brakes are capable of coping with. Most will "govern" the car to the rating of the OEM tires (most are S-speed rated - or 112MPH top speed). Still much faster than what the stock Corolla can handle safely.

Bikeman982

I don't know where (legally) on a public road that you would actually do 125 MPH.

I just like to have good accelleration and a good running feeling to go from 0 to 75.

Anything faster than that and I start to get paranoid about the "law".

I just traded in my 05 Mini Cooper S. It had the sport package and run flat tires, etc. Anyways, I got it up over 100, and I'm sure it wouldn't have a problem going to 120 or 130 but I guess my old age (25) kicked in about the time I hit 100 and I decided to slow down.

In my 04 Corolla LE manual, I notice every bump and dip in the road when going more than 75. It's a much different feel and I do not suggest anyone going faster than 75. These Toyotas do not have run flat tires. Just imagine blowing a tire doing 100+ .... knock on wood.

There's nothing important enough to risk losing your life for.

Everyone stay safe and as the Mini slogan goes "Happy Motoring"

• 1,424 posts
I just traded in my 05 Mini Cooper S. It had the sport package and run flat tires, etc. Anyways, I got it up over 100, and I'm sure it wouldn't have a problem going to 120 or 130 but I guess my old age (25) kicked in about the time I hit 100 and I decided to slow down.In my 04 Corolla LE manual, I notice every bump and dip in the road when going more than 75. It's a much different feel and I do not suggest anyone going faster than 75. These Toyotas do not have run flat tires. Just imagine blowing a tire doing 100+ .... knock on wood.

Comparing a Corolla LE to a Mini Cooper S isn't a valid comparison. One is a race inspired, supercharged, super compact. The other is a barely adequate (power wise) transportation appliance to quote Car and Driver. The cars serve two very different missions in life. What you are doing is like comparing a Monte Carlo to a Corvette and saying the Monte Carlo doesn't feel as capable or safe at speeds over 120 mph. Compare realistically, like a Corolla to a Civic, a base Mazda3, or a Focus.

BTW I'm ****uming from your comments that you don't think its safe to drive above 75 in a Corolla. That just isn't the case. I have routinely driven mine at 80 and 90 for many of the 18k I have on my 2005 LE auto and this car doesn't feel any less safe at those speeds than did the Contour, Lebaron convertible, Mystique, Rav4 or Lincoln Continental I used to drive, or the Camry or Mazda3 I now drive on ocAssion.

Bikeman982

I just traded in my 05 Mini Cooper S. It had the sport package and run flat tires, etc. Anyways, I got it up over 100, and I'm sure it wouldn't have a problem going to 120 or 130 but I guess my old age (25) kicked in about the time I hit 100 and I decided to slow down.

In my 04 Corolla LE manual, I notice every bump and dip in the road when going more than 75. It's a much different feel and I do not suggest anyone going faster than 75. These Toyotas do not have run flat tires. Just imagine blowing a tire doing 100+ .... knock on wood.

Comparing a Corolla LE to a Mini Cooper S isn't a valid comparison. One is a race inspired, supercharged, super compact. The other is a barely adequate (power wise) transportation appliance to quote Car and Driver. The cars serve two very different missions in life. What you are doing is like comparing a Monte Carlo to a Corvette and saying the Monte Carlo doesn't feel as capable or safe at speeds over 120 mph. Compare realistically, like a Corolla to a Civic, a base Mazda3, or a Focus.

BTW I'm ****uming from your comments that you don't think its safe to drive above 75 in a Corolla. That just isn't the case. I have routinely driven mine at 80 and 90 for many of the 18k I have on my 2005 LE auto and this car doesn't feel any less safe at those speeds than did the Contour, Lebaron convertible, Mystique, Rav4 or Lincoln Continental I used to drive, or the Camry or Mazda3 I now drive on ocAssion.

My car feels safe driven at 80 MPH but it exceeds the legal speed limit and makes me subject to a moving traffic violation.

Guest morrobaybum

I have a 05 XRS and I have gotten it up to 135 once or twice. It was really scarey and I dont recomend doing it.

I have a 2001 Corolla LE with brand new Michelin tires that I've gotten up to 107mph twice, both times with two people in the car, and the air conditioner running, which I've noticed raises the RPMs by about 200. Not sure how much difference an extra 200 RPMs would make at 107... I've never had any problems with bumpiness, or felt like I was going to lose control. The tires help A LOT, because with the Goodyears I had before, I'd usually chicken out around 90.

Bikeman982

I have a 2001 Corolla LE with brand new Michelin tires that I've gotten up to 107mph twice, both times with two people in the car, and the air conditioner running, which I've noticed raises the RPMs by about 200. Not sure how much difference an extra 200 RPMs would make at 107... I've never had any problems with bumpiness, or felt like I was going to lose control. The tires help A LOT, because with the Goodyears I had before, I'd usually chicken out around 90.

It would probably go faster if you got rid of the extra weight.

My 2001 Corolla CE 1.8L manual has a few mods done to it like 17" rims, Aircraft aluminum spoiler, Coil-over suspension,bolt on turbo, blah blah blah and a bunch of other stuff...In the near future if someone tells me how i will post some pics of my baby.But i had my corolla at 210 Km per hour(Canada) on an open stretch going to B.C. The 17 inch rims were my best investment in my corolla.Exact stats are 205/40/17R Yokohama xr . They STICK to the pavement and i can take offramps at 100km per hour. But thats the fastest ive had my baby going.

Bikeman982

My 2001 Corolla CE 1.8L manual has a few mods done to it like 17" rims, Aircraft aluminum spoiler, Coil-over suspension,bolt on turbo, blah blah blah and a bunch of other stuff...In the near future if someone tells me how i will post some pics of my baby.But i had my corolla at 210 Km per hour(Canada) on an open stretch going to B.C. The 17 inch rims were my best investment in my corolla.Exact stats are 205/40/17R Yokohama xr . They STICK to the pavement and i can take offramps at 100km per hour. But thats the fastest ive had my baby going.

To post pictures sign up for https://www.photobucket.com/ and upload from a digital source. Then convert (using the website). I finally figured out how to do it.

PIX POSTED

To post pictures sign up for https://www.photobucket.com/ and upload from a digital source. Then convert (using the website). I finally figured out how to do it.

Bikeman982

PIX POSTED

Not exactly. You have to click on the square by the picture name, go to the bottom and select generate HTML and IMG code, then copy and paste here, such as ,

or

What you have posted is the link to the photobucket website.

i hit 100 a couple times today when i had long clear road. i found that with OD off 105 is alot faster to get to.

i just wanted to see what kind of a difference the header made for high rpm acceleration.

I can get my 06 corolla up to 135. I have the HKS speed limit defencer to get rid of the 110 cap. I dont have any handling problems at high speeds. I do alot of grip racing in windy canyon roads at around 80 to 90 mph.

Bikeman982

I did over a hundred but saw my gas gage going down as I did and backed off to conserve fuel.

Topic List