Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

by 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

I have an auto 1.8L, I think ive touched 100, and then stopped at that point...

Dont really speed much anymore.

To do 100MPH on public roads is to ask for a ticket.

I did 120mph before back in 2000.. I learned my lesson.. Now I drive more cautious, smoother moderate speed..

Bikeman982

I did 120mph before back in 2000.. I learned my lesson.. Now I drive more cautious, smoother moderate speed..

What was the lesson?? Did you have an accident or get a ticket??

You're right of course. And yet, we all have our stupid moments. default_huh

The fastest I ever drove was 135 in a 1990 fox body mustang (former florida state patrol car). It had a calibrated speedo, so I know it was accurate. I miss that car. default_sad

I've had the dakota to 120-125 range too many times.

I've had the corolla to 100 once, right after I got it and got the new plugs in. The wind never stops blowing here so anything above 80 is risky as hell. I live between the chesapeake bay and atlantic ocean, the wind is always blowing from one to the other.

The chevy c30 has been up to 80 while I've had it. It shakes and rattles and is really scary at that speed. I've been afraid one of the pistons would just hop out and beat me up at that speed though. The low gearing means the engine is running really high RPM and it screams like a banshee.

My parents' new camry seems to want 70-80. You're there before you know it. Thank goodness for cruise. I don't know how fast it can go, it isn't my car.

Usually I try to stay under 9 over the speed limit. I know where most of the speed traps are on my commute and I wave to the cops as I drive by at 60 each day (55mph zone). They're after the excessive speeders, and I've never had a problem. When I'm in the worst speedtrap zone, I stick to 5 over.

Once when I was moving, I borrowed a small uhaul-like enclosed trailer from a friend of mine. The tires were flat, so he wandered around the junk cars in his back yard (about 30 or so vehicled) until he found 2 tires good enough to mount on the wheels for the trailer. I wasn't thinking about the fact that I had this trailer full of my belongings and the bed of my pickup (dakota) full of my belongings. My friends were following in their pickup which also was full of my crap. Anyway, at a stop light a cutless supreme ss pulled up beside me with several hispanic people in it, and they were revving their engine at me. It was all friendly. Anyway, my friends suggested I take them up on the implied invitation to race, and I did. At 95mph, I was 2 car lengths past them when they gave up. At 120mph, I thought "ya know, there's junkyard tires on that trailer I'm pulling, this is stooooooooooooopid" and slowed back down to 65. We all laughed about it later, and I'm thankful that nothing went wrong as that would've been a catastrophe.

This morning we were under a tornado watch until 11am, and on my drive into work I got knocked half a lane over at 70mph. That's a wakeup moment for sure. At the 60 to 65mph range, the corolla handled rather well in the gusts.

One day I'll own something track-worthy again, and I'll spend some time visiting tracks and having fun in a controlled environment. Until then, I have to stay away from the racing habit. It's just too dangerous on the streets these days.

Anyway, enough late-night rambling.

jim

Yeah, like I said I dont really speed that much anymore, there is no need for it. But I can definitely admit to going 145+mph here and there when I was runnin the Probe. That thing was a highway beast, and people constantly wanted a piece of it. Ive gotten 1 speeding ticket so far (75 in a 60), in my 3.5 years of driving, so Im not too bad.. but ive wisened up. The Corolla will help me not speed. default_smile

What was the lesson?? Did you have an accident or get a ticket??

A mean 'ol ticket that cost me almost 3/4 of my paycheck back then...

Bikeman982

Tickets are not cheap. I took a driving course, so I could have one that didn't show up on my record.

ive gone as fast as 110mph on my mom's 2000 mercury villager.

on my 2003 corolla LE, ive gone as fast as 85mph on strong winds just about 2 hours ago coming home from Baltimore, MD.... im not sure if i wanna go any faster than 85mph

Bikeman982

The speed limit on the freeway (highway) for my daily commute is 65 MPH.

The majority of traffic (pretty much everyone) travels at 75-80 MPH.

The only time they slow down is for an accident, or if there is a policeman nearby.

I've driven the Corolla at 90 for a brief few seconds, just to see how it felt in case I ever actually 'needed' to do it. I usually do between 65-75, but the car is still very stable at 80ish as well (I just installed a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires, which grip the road very, very well).

It's not worth speeding... I did stupid stuff with my 2000 Contour and old 94 Jetta (120mph runs down the Pike), but that was years ago and you won't catch me doing that now if my life depended on it. The Jetta was pretty good at those speeds, and the Contour felt like I was barely doing 80, it was just that smooth.

When I did that stuff, I was alone in the car on wide open roads with no traffic. I would never put someone else's life in danger by driving that fast with other cars around or, god forbid, friends in the car. And to the idiot a couple pages back who decided to do 120mph to get his girl home from the prom... all I ask is, would her parents have been more angry with you for missing her curfew, or getting her killed?

Bikeman982

I've driven the Corolla at 90 for a brief few seconds, just to see how it felt in case I ever actually 'needed' to do it. I usually do between 65-75, but the car is still very stable at 80ish as well (I just installed a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires, which grip the road very, very well).

It's not worth speeding... I did stupid stuff with my 2000 Contour and old 94 Jetta (120mph runs down the Pike), but that was years ago and you won't catch me doing that now if my life depended on it. The Jetta was pretty good at those speeds, and the Contour felt like I was barely doing 80, it was just that smooth.

When I did that stuff, I was alone in the car on wide open roads with no traffic. I would never put someone else's life in danger by driving that fast with other cars around or, god forbid, friends in the car. And to the idiot a couple pages back who decided to do 120mph to get his girl home from the prom... all I ask is, would her parents have been more angry with you for missing her curfew, or getting her killed?

There seems to be way too many accidents from kids driving home from proms and dances than at any other time.

Younger drivers seem to be a higher risk - just ask any auto insurer.

I think the fastest I've ever driven is about 85, not even enough to activate the flux capacitor. I know my Corolla could easily handle 100+ since I had very good stability even at 85. I don't really use the highways though so I've never had a reason to go so fast.

I'll agree that there are more youths who do very dangerous things, but its hardly fair that my insurance should go up because of it. I've been driving for 3 years with not a single accident (at fault or not), and I've never gotten a speeding ticket or moving violation. I've never even gotten a parking fine, yet because I'm part of some biased age bracket (16 to 23), my insurance is significantly higher than it should be. If I was just 1.5 years old, even if I didn't have any extra experience behind the wheel, my insurance rate would be about $1300 per year instead of $2000. Why should I be punished because stupid high school students like to drive their parents' $40,000 Lexus into a tree? This kind of insurance discrimination is no better than racial profiling or affirmative action. Its saying first and foremost that I'm a child before a driver. Insurance rates should be on merit, not age.

Bikeman982

I think the fastest I've ever driven is about 85, not even enough to activate the flux capacitor. I know my Corolla could easily handle 100+ since I had very good stability even at 85. I don't really use the highways though so I've never had a reason to go so fast.

I'll agree that there are more youths who do very dangerous things, but its hardly fair that my insurance should go up because of it. I've been driving for 3 years with not a single accident (at fault or not), and I've never gotten a speeding ticket or moving violation. I've never even gotten a parking fine, yet because I'm part of some biased age bracket (16 to 23), my insurance is significantly higher than it should be. If I was just 1.5 years old, even if I didn't have any extra experience behind the wheel, my insurance rate would be about $1300 per year instead of $2000. Why should I be punished because stupid high school students like to drive their parents' $40,000 Lexus into a tree? This kind of insurance discrimination is no better than racial profiling or affirmative action. Its saying first and foremost that I'm a child before a driver. Insurance rates should be on merit, not age.

In CA the rates go down after the age of 25.

It is a pity that a few bad kids ruin it for all younger drivers.

In CA the rates go down after the age of 25.

It is a pity that a few bad kids ruin it for all younger drivers.

I think higher insurance rates for younger drivers is pretty much a scam. It is true that younger drivers are on a learning curve and they are more prone to mistakes, but most of the time, they are finder benders. I think insurance companies should at least give young drivers a chance to not screw up. Maybe raise their rates more then older drivers when/if they screw up, but at least start them out with a clean slate.

It's yet another legal scam. The 25 age for lowering insurance is BS. If anything, I'm more likely to get an a accident now then I was when I was younger because I'm getting older, I don't see as well as night (light) and my reflexes are not as good as they used to be.

I don't think older people would be very happy if they had a geriatrics age group for insurance rates that were sky high. Maybe they do and I don't know it, but I highly doubt that the AARP voting folks would have such a thing. I am personally more afraid of silver hairs behind the wheel then I am a young person. As long as they aren't street racing. Young street racers are the worst cause they don't understand a good ol fashion street light race. Now days, they go top end on streets. 100+MPH on non HWY public roads. Scary stuff.

very_high_rolla

I've had my rolla up to 115mph which is as fast as the ECU will let it go. Probably wouldnt do much more than that anyway with a wimpy 4afe.

I've gotten my 2000 Corolla up to 85-90 mph on an open stretch of road with a respectable amount of pedal left. Our '97 Prizm made it to about 90 mph. I'm guessing top speed for these cars would be 110 to 115 mph full out. I'm pretty sure that they are speed (computer) governed at 115 mph.

I don't really believe in speeding thought, especially with a car like the Corolla. At speeds above 75-80 mph. these cars have that "floaty" kind of feel. Besides at speeds above 70 or 80 you really no longer have any kind of real control over your vehicle. Any sudden steering manuever would probably result in some kind of fatal crash.

regards,

timkedz

I've had my rolla up to 115mph which is as fast as the ECU will let it go. Probably wouldnt to much more than that anyway with a wimpy 4afe.

Wow! 115 mph on a little 4afe engine; I'm impressed. I wouldn't even expect my 1zz to be able to get that fast. I figured my car might make 110 mph max.

80mph .

80mph .
weeellllllll, 5 yrs ago in my 78 corolla with 2 3/4 inch straight piped exhaust i did about 140 for 10 minutes straight. "Old Yeller" was a shakin' and a shimmyin' in ways I didnt know a car could. ( Of course I had a pretty good tailwind , but my corolla did 90-95 on a somewhat daily basis commuting to work everyday.) Now my current ride a lowered '92 AE92 with a JDM 4afe (not the crappy american production model), short ram,2 1/4 inch exhaust with 2 1/2 inch cat, and 17inch Konigs. Ive had it up to 120 without a tailwind.

A key to a higher top speed is taller tires. The rinky-dink little 13-15 inch factory size tires are set up to be a specific diameter to set your final drive gearing. An example is these jacked up pickups with 33-40 inch tires. the speedo is usually lower by about 5-15 miles per hour because the taller tires have raised the gear ratio in the rear end. the same goes for a corolla. The stock height of my corollas 13 inch pizza cutters was about 15-16 inches. the 17 inch wheels and 20540r17 tires make the height about 18-19 inches. The taller tires raise the gear ratio which gives me a higher top speed because my engine is not rapping out at its max rpm and power output at 85-90 mph. Anyways if you have a good setup with tires,suspension and some performance mods, " You too can go fast" (sorry about the stupid pun)

Guest sbshetley

My previous '99 corolla with 29k on it and a fresh oil change saw 127 MPH. This was verified with a GPS navigator to be correct as the speedo topped off at 110. I was on I-29 North of KC on nice open stretch. I let it go until the governor kicked in and slowed me down. I was bummed. What an experience!! Stable at that speed as well, although I did notice a bit of lift i think.

after doing the minor bolt ons to my car i find that in 3rd i'll easily hit 90 just pAssing trucks before i really realize im going that fast. i usually cruise around 75-80 on the open road without traffic, otherwise i choose a speed which allows me an appropriate following distance in relation to the cars around me.

i havent tried to top it, but in 3rd i can go from about 70 to 100 fast enough that im sure i could redline 3rd without much problem (112mph is redline in 3rd).

ive hit 97 mph with my 95 automatic 1.8 liter DX with mustang straight pipes on it (don't make fun of me)

although, its nothing compared to when i ride with my cousin and his special edition turbo GTI

tops out at 145 mph

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/pheibo/speed.jpg

90mph on the hwy, i would never take it above with the crappy tires it has on there. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAay tooo dangerous.

K_Watson

Most I've done in the Prizm was about 91 mph on a Saturday afternoon. The engine was revving pretty high by then (3 sp auto) so I didn't push it any farther, plus slow lane traffic was only doing 80. My previous car, a Chevy Corsica, I had up to 107 mph, which is where the governor cuts the fuel off. This was at 2 am on a Sunday, on a straight highway, with absolutely no other traffic in sight.

Cruise control @ 100MPH = 3,600 RPMs (with three people and air conditioning on). Top speed seems to be around 107-108. I drive through Dallas at 105 regularly. Handles like it's at 75. I drive a 2001 Corolla LE with a 4 speed automatic transmission and 60,000 miles. Has any one else gotten air?

Topic List