Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

by 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

My previous '99 corolla with 29k on it and a fresh oil change saw 127 MPH. This was verified with a GPS navigator to be correct as the speedo topped off at 110. I was on I-29 North of KC on nice open stretch. I let it go until the governor kicked in and slowed me down. I was bummed. What an experience!! Stable at that speed as well, although I did notice a bit of lift i think.

I've had my rolla up to 115mph which is as fast as the ECU will let it go. Probably wouldnt to much more than that anyway with a wimpy 4afe.

I'm surprised the governor didn't kick in earlier on your cars. There's a reason why a car has a listed top speed. My 98' Corolla's top speed is listed as 110 mph. The reason is because the tires wont be able to handle higher speeds. A month ago my sister had to replace her tires on her 03' Acura TL. She HAD to buy a certain type/quality tire because her car has a listed top speed of 144 mph. Liability wise, car companies must ensure their vehicles can be performed to their listed specs, or they would face liability suits if someone ever did drive their TL to 144 mph and the tires blew out.

My previous '99 corolla with 29k on it and a fresh oil change saw 127 MPH. This was verified with a GPS navigator to be correct as the speedo topped off at 110. I was on I-29 North of KC on nice open stretch. I let it go until the governor kicked in and slowed me down. I was bummed. What an experience!! Stable at that speed as well, although I did notice a bit of lift i think.

I've had my rolla up to 115mph which is as fast as the ECU will let it go. Probably wouldnt to much more than that anyway with a wimpy 4afe.

I'm surprised the governor didn't kick in earlier on your cars. There's a reason why a car has a listed top speed. My 98' Corolla's top speed is listed as 110 mph. The reason is because the tires wont be able to handle higher speeds. A month ago my sister had to replace her tires on her 03' Acura TL. She HAD to buy a certain type/quality tire because her car has a listed top speed of 144 mph. Liability wise, car companies must ensure their vehicles can be performed to their listed specs, or they would face liability suits if someone ever did drive their TL to 144 mph and the tires blew out.

A good tire shop will make the owner buy a tire that can handle the speed limiter on the car. That is a price to pay for a performance oriented car. The factory has to match tires to the speed limiter, and the car "should" have tires to match the car.

You can put lesser tires on, if you don't speed. I use Q rated snow tires on my AWD sports sedan that physically go about 155, but I don't go fast in the snow, and the tires are rated at 99MPH.

Guest 100secondrolla

i have a 96 Corolla base model with the 1.6 engine. on the way to vermont i got the needle past the 110 maximum on the speedometer and i got it up to around 120-125 then the speed limiter kicked in or redlined and shrunk down to 100

Guest rdmcdani

i have an 04 corolla and i've taken it up to the 110 limit. i was racing a scion tc once and he couldnt pass me though. so maybe i was going faster.

I sped once in a Corolla when in a hurry. I made it to about 110-115 or so. With XRS tires and rims. Da stock tires shouldn't blow at the speed limiter, but I wouldn't push them. The stock speed limiter can be off a tad.

I usually baby my car. I ran it hard once while late to a important appointment. I only ran it hard once.

I don't recommend it. Not because the engine can't handle it, but if you don't upgrade brakes and tires, it isn't worth it.

Toyota sock stuff isn't all that. Don't push it too hard. Also DON'T speed on busy roads. If ya half ta speed. Do it alone. I speed with a open road, with no one in my way.

Tonight I was driving home from visiting my father's condo. On I90 (the main highway here in massachusetts), I decided to see how fast I could get the car up, since I rarely drive on the highways. There was a straight-away and a momentary break in traffic . I gunned the engine up to 4000+ rpm and was able to reach about 110 mph before traffic began to build up again. What was so amazing is that there was absolutely no shuttering and the car was gripping the road very well. I bet it could easily have pushed it to 120 or more without a problem, unless the ECU decided to kick in. Toyota sure knows how to build a car.

110mph indicated on the speedo (forgot to look at RPM) in 3rd with myself at 135lb, passenger at 160lb, spare/jack, full tank of fuel, and about 70lbs of tools. had plenty of pull, but i think i'll stick to double digit speeding. the addition of the header REALLY gets it to 100 faster.

Bikeman982

Anyone speeding on a public road at 110 MPH is jail bait.

yep, i sure was! but the road was empty and i was curious.

Bikeman982

yep, i sure was! but the road was empty and i was curious.

You have to watch out for the police - they use the new "cloaking device" on their new cruisers.

You might think the road is clear, but they are invisible until they turn on their blue lights.

I've topped my 98 Corolla out, 110mph before the limiter kicks in. It's kind of scary when the limiter kicks in it sound like the engine dies, it goes from hearing the engine reving at 4500 rpms to almost nothing.

Guest Probly

^^^ default_biggrin hahahaThat reminds me... what's that stuff they pour on the track for the dragsters?

erg.. can't remember.

I thought they just used water mixed with perhaps a little dishsoap. SOmetimes it's just water. But I've only been to the dragway once.

CLOROX is what was used when I used to help with the burnouts

Ive had my rolla to around 146mph

Bikeman982

^^^ default_biggrin hahahaThat reminds me... what's that stuff they pour on the track for the dragsters?

erg.. can't remember.

I thought they just used water mixed with perhaps a little dishsoap. SOmetimes it's just water. But I've only been to the dragway once.

CLOROX is what was used when I used to help with the burnouts

I thought any bleach would work.

Ive had my rolla to around 146mph

Uh, with what engine?

AE101 4agze supercharged in an ae82 corolla

^^ Hopefully not on the streets, better be on the track when you did this.

146MPH?? maybe going downhill or with a stiff tail-wind, 120MPH is probably more likely, given the gearing on the available transmissions mated to the 4AGZE and the body shape of an AE82. Not even modded MK1 MR2's can get it up that fast, nor even MKII MR2s with mildly built 3SGTEs had a tough time getting up there, and they both have a better drivetrain layout to push the car up there.

^^ Hopefully not on the streets, better be on the track when you did this.

146MPH?? maybe going downhill or with a stiff tail-wind, 120MPH is probably more likely, given the gearing on the available transmissions mated to the 4AGZE and the body shape of an AE82. Not even modded MK1 MR2's can get it up that fast, nor even MKII MR2s with mildly built 3SGTEs had a tough time getting up there, and they both have a better drivetrain layout to push the car up there.

I agree. Your speedo had to have been off. No way no how. Unless maybe you had a totally different trans and different gearing.

I'm telling you, i have had my car to 230kph and that wasnt even on limiter yet, i will show you a few vids to sway you none belivers. I can ****ure you i have more then enough power to get me over 200

This 1st one is me accelarating to around 195kph at 7,000rpm in 4th, along a flat road, and i still have a whole gear left un-used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Qp82Ozilc...ated&search=

This one is me doing 0-120kph in 6 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3oDLYSsWc...ated&search=

And heres a few outside shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spwc9LeOY7g...ated&search=

Speedo is KPH not MPH

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7016/speedomf4.jpg

convinced?

convinced?

Not really. I can't see anything in the vids, other then the car is quick. http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

What are your gear ratio's and tire size?

BTW, that is REALLY stupid to be posting vids on youtube of yourself speeding on roads like that. People have gotten arrested for posting proof for the cops.

Grow up and take it to the track.

Check with a GPS (on a private road/race track), cause your speedo is probably WAY off.

Geez, guess i was write.

Std

E58 (4AGZE)

1st - 3.214

2nd - 2.045

3rd - 1.333

4th - 0.972

5th - 0.820

Final-3.944

I found a calculator on the net that works out speeds from wheel size and ratios etc came up with the following results

3rd 100mph

4th 137mph

5th should go 162mph

Something is off here - did you take the cluster of the donor 4AGZE car, or was it sourced from another vehicle? Was it a swap from a half-cut or did you piece it together all separately. Which engine computer did you you - or are you running standalone engine management? Sure you're running the 3.944 gearset - or the 4.74 gearset in the tranny (open or LSD - e85 can be had both ways with both gearsets, depending on where and what donor it was sourced).

Reason I'm asking is the stock 4AGZEs redlines at 7K RPM, though if you started with a 4AGE and swapped the S/C to make your own 4AGZE - then the RPMs in the video would make more sense (pushing against 8K RPMs). Choice of engine computer, piggyback, or standalone management is pretty important. ****uming that you have the stock tire size (~600mm (24.5") tire height) with those gear ratios - you'd have to hit 7500RPM to get those mileage numbers. Just by going by your shift points in the video and the gear ratios posted - either the speedo or tach is linearly shifted off (could also be a combination of the two). Either that or your running a 30" tall truck tire.

Very possible that the readouts are shifted by the engine management choice - have to run around on a track and time yourself or like gvr4ever mentioned, GPS unit, to calibrate the speedo and other gauges. I've done enough swaps to see a few have sparkingly performanc, via the gauge readouts or with different tire sizes (ECM gets confused, expecting a certain tire size). Or could be the famous Toyota gauge issue (look it up in the FSM, speedo can be optimistic by as much as 12%-17% in the later half of the range).

I'm giving you props for a good swap - 4AGZE into a FWD early gen Corolla - but 230kph on a level grade is a little hard to swallow (just breaking 200kph, probably - I'd believe that). Even guys that run a taller final gear (3.6) in they AE86 chAssis, with a 4AGZE running a 180mm crank pulley to make 13.5PSI over the 8PSI stock - just break 210kph on the straight and level road with no wind.

Something is off here - did you take the cluster of the donor 4AGZE car, or was it sourced from another vehicle? Was it a swap from a half-cut or did you piece it together all separately. Which engine computer did you you - or are you running standalone engine management? Sure you're running the 3.944 gearset - or the 4.74 gearset in the tranny (open or LSD - e85 can be had both ways with both gearsets, depending on where and what donor it was sourced).

Reason I'm asking is the stock 4AGZEs redlines at 7K RPM, though if you started with a 4AGE and swapped the S/C to make your own 4AGZE - then the RPMs in the video would make more sense (pushing against 8K RPMs). Choice of engine computer, piggyback, or standalone management is pretty important. ****uming that you have the stock tire size (~600mm (24.5") tire height) with those gear ratios - you'd have to hit 7500RPM to get those mileage numbers. Just by going by your shift points in the video and the gear ratios posted - either the speedo or tach is linearly shifted off (could also be a combination of the two). Either that or your running a 30" tall truck tire.

Very possible that the readouts are shifted by the engine management choice - have to run around on a track and time yourself or like gvr4ever mentioned, GPS unit, to calibrate the speedo and other gauges. I've done enough swaps to see a few have sparkingly performanc, via the gauge readouts or with different tire sizes (ECM gets confused, expecting a certain tire size). Or could be the famous Toyota gauge issue (look it up in the FSM, speedo can be optimistic by as much as 12%-17% in the later half of the range).

I'm giving you props for a good swap - 4AGZE into a FWD early gen Corolla - but 230kph on a level grade is a little hard to swallow (just breaking 200kph, probably - I'd believe that). Even guys that run a taller final gear (3.6) in they AE86 chAssis, with a 4AGZE running a 180mm crank pulley to make 13.5PSI over the 8PSI stock - just break 210kph on the straight and level road with no wind.

Some much techincal info youve made me go cross eyed , ive checked my od against the speedcheck things on the road, seems close, engine is running standard ae101 gze ecu, has the gze tacho as well. I'm running 14psi at the moment with a front mount, when i had a top mount i needed to use a FCD because it was peaking at 17psi. The car was dynoed at 10psi with 117kws at the tread with standard exhaust and a cracked charger outlet, would dare to say that the car currently has around 135-140kws at the treads and only weights under 900kg, mabye i need to get my camera and find an even longer straight default_tongue

It doesn't seem to be for sale yet, but if I still have my Mustang when it goes on sale, I'll get this.

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/0...ud-speed-meter/

Calculated top speeds limited by gearing and actual top speed are totally different. It does take a good amount of power to hit the 150MPH mark. One of my cars is limited to gears to about 155 and another one at 180+. I'll never find out of they can actually do that tho.

140kws is about 187HP. Even in a light weight car, I just can't see it. You still got to deal with air resistance and the faster you go, the more power you need to go faster.

I don't think anyone here wants to see a video of you topping out your car unless you can find a private road/track to do it. See if you can get access to a air port or something.

Not sure where you live, but your very lucky you haven't been arrested yet for posting on youtube.

Try and get a GPS too. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool if your car could go 150 or close to it, but it would probably be a death trap at 150.

Topic List