Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

by 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

That doesn't mean that your car would be safe. Your tires won't blow up, but they are very unstable. The stockers were screathing at me going around a wide curve at 45MPH. The side walls give in, they have lousy traction. THEY SUCK!!!!

If you drive fast on your stock tires, stay away from me!

H speed rated tires are capable of running 130MPH all day long. my car wont go 130, and at 100 it feels like its going to fly off the road.

i said NOTHING of me being safe at highspeed because my tires were rated higher than the car, you just assumed. please do not do that.

My car came with S rated tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

The speed rating just rates a tire to not fall apart or blow up due to heat. A good speed rating doesn't say anything about how well a tires corners, stops, ect. As you can see, the stock tires on our car are rated as POSs.

i have yokohama avid H4's with are AA (wet traction) A temp and 500 tread wear. theyre not the best handling tires but are a BIG step up from alot of the stock tires. they track straight and ride well, they are noisy on cement highways tho, very noisy. it has to do with the V shaped directional pattern.

My 2002 Corolla shakes doing 70 MPH. I try it get no faster than 65. Must be a combination of wheel balance and cheap alloy wheels.

H speed rated tires are capable of running 130MPH all day long. my car wont go 130, and at 100 it feels like its going to fly off the road.

i said NOTHING of me being safe at highspeed because my tires were rated higher than the car, you just assumed. please do not do that.

Why did you make the point that your tires can go faster then your car can go? Some people acually belive that a tire rating means that it's acually safe to go that fast.

Stop making troll post that don't mean anything.

because if you're going fast you need a tire speed rated to the conditions. you said something about the tire flying apart due to it being driven over its speed rating.

• 320 posts

In my foolish youth...

pegged speedo on Valiant many many times (107 mph?)

About 125 on 1976 Camaro a few times - according to speedo - might have been 110 in reality

135 mph in Thunderbird SC - for about five minutes - pressing gas further made it downshift which redlined it...

Ticketed for doing 120 in a 1977 Fury...

Now I don't go that fast - other drivers aren't smart enough and half the time they're on the phone while they weave from lane to lane.

PS> "My 2002 Corolla shakes doing 70 MPH. I try it get no faster than 65. Must be a combination of wheel balance and cheap alloy wheels. " Or it's just its vibration zone. Try taking it to 80 and see if it stops.

the so called vibration zone is 100% a balance or wheel trueness issue. it could be as simple as adding hubcentric rings to the aftermarket wheels.

Bikeman982

My daily commute is about 80MPH for an hour, each way. My car feels fine and there is no shaking or instability. I have gone faster, but I don't need to draw extra attention to myself, or get any speeding ticket. I have no vibration and am comfortable driving it that way. I am sure my fuel economy would be better if the speed was less, but the ride would take longer.

• 1,424 posts

This isn't in a Corolla and I wasn't driving, but a while back I got the ride of my life. After work one day, one of my Dad's guys took me for a ride in his 1970 Chery Nova 396 SS. The car is heavily modified for track use and has NOS. We took off on this long straight stretch of a road and then he hammered it. Then kicked in the NOS. Man was that fast. By the time he backed off the throttle we were at 160 MPH. Incredible feeling that is.

You want to know what was really scary about the ride though, one is that it was on a city street with traffic, two is that his car has 4 wheel drum brakes that aren't power Assisted. They can only stop the car from speeds of less than 100 mph. So he had to go off the throttle and wait for the speed to drop to about 80 before he could even start to stop.

Not very smart or safe, but when you're 19 you don't think about such things. You just get in and go along for the ride.

Isn't something I would recommend that anyone do ever, especially not on a city street. It is illegal, it is dangerous to others, and you could easily end up deader than a doornail.

I might as well add my 2 cents worth. Fastest I've gone was on my last three Hondas over 20 years ago...125 mph and only for a few seconds to see if they could do it. I still remember there was no adreneline rush, but only hoping a tire wouldn't blow or something else. As for now..my new bike was up to 85 mph before I chickened out. I don't know if I'm more chicken now or more wiser.

Bikeman982

I got a speeding ticket the other day.

Now I have to do traffic school online, or have it go on my record and increase insurance costs.

I have not had a ticket in many years.

If I had my choice... I would go 5 MPH UNDER the speed limit or 55 max all the time... With gas at the price it is... What does that extra 5 minutes buy you in life... getting to work faster... Ohhh boy so I can work more...

Its not worth it if I crash and seriously injure myself... I just don't get why people have to zoom past me... Slow down... Enjoy life...

Ohhh no Now it seems even going 10 to 15 OVER the limit is not fast enough for people... Ive been on a 35 MPH street with a cop pointing a radar at me and people riding me for going 40! Geeze.....

Bikeman982

If I had my choice... I would go 5 MPH UNDER the speed limit or 55 max all the time... With gas at the price it is... What does that extra 5 minutes buy you in life... getting to work faster... Ohhh boy so I can work more...

Its not worth it if I crash and seriously injure myself... I just don't get why people have to zoom past me... Slow down... Enjoy life...

Ohhh no Now it seems even going 10 to 15 OVER the limit is not fast enough for people... Ive been on a 35 MPH street with a cop pointing a radar at me and people riding me for going 40! Geeze.....

The cop told me they don't usually pull you over if you do 9 MPH over the speed limit or less.

I was doing 63 in a 50 MPH zone. I was late for work. After the ticket I was even later.

Hi. Yesterday I was out driving my Corolla. I was on a stretch of open highway. I decided to see how fast it would go. I put the "pedal to the metal" and the car accelerated to 90. At that point, I chickened out. Why? Because every little bump on the road felt like a giant bump. I felt that I might lose control of the car if I went any faster.

Folks: please tell your stories of how fast you have gone or would go in your Corollas. You may have more courage / foolhardiness than I do. How fast do these things go anyway?

DyGhst here.

i have a 1996 corolla 1.6 vvti engine, and i have held the pedel to the floor untill the auto shutoff killed my engine, and would start back up untill about 115. now my corolla is a five speed with a short ram air intake if that would make any diffrence????

Bikeman982

Hi. Yesterday I was out driving my Corolla. I was on a stretch of open highway. I decided to see how fast it would go. I put the "pedal to the metal" and the car accelerated to 90. At that point, I chickened out. Why? Because every little bump on the road felt like a giant bump. I felt that I might lose control of the car if I went any faster.

Folks: please tell your stories of how fast you have gone or would go in your Corollas. You may have more courage / foolhardiness than I do. How fast do these things go anyway?

DyGhst here.

i have a 1996 corolla 1.6 vvti engine, and i have held the pedel to the floor untill the auto shutoff killed my engine, and would start back up untill about 115. now my corolla is a five speed with a short ram air intake if that would make any diffrence????

What's the "auto shutoff"??

Probably not - since the fuel cutoff should still be the same. Might be faster, since the manual transmissioned car is lighter than the automatic variant. Also, where do you hail from - most Corollas of that vintage, here from the States, did not have VVT-i - until the 2000 model year on a 1.8L engine.

Bikeman982

How fast did you get it to go??

I downshifted going 70 MPH from 5th into 4th, then 3rd. Boy that was a rush! Prizm took off until I had to shift at redline . . . I think I almost got to 90 MPH in 3rd . . .

Bikeman982

I downshifted going 70 MPH from 5th into 4th, then 3rd. Boy that was a rush! Prizm took off until I had to shift at redline . . . I think I almost got to 90 MPH in 3rd . . .
What if you just stepped on the gas for a long time...how fast can you go??

What if you just stepped on the gas for a long time...how fast can you go??

Well technically there is a maximum speed for each gear, but if I just stepped on the gas while going 50 in 5th I am sure it would go to 110 MPH, no problems. Of course it would take a while.

I've went 100 before and there was still room to go, car felt solid as a rock.

i am not really sure if it was an auto shut off or a govener of some sort but i was running about 130, not really sure the speedometer needle went further than 120. but the car just died running down the road. lost all gauge readings except the speedometer. i let the car coast in gear to see if it would jump start up and it did at about 115mph. and i did this on the interstate at about 2 o'clock in the morning.

iirc theres a fuel cut at 6000 rpm which ive bounced off once or twice accidently and atleast on USDM models theres a cutoff at 115mph.

Topic List