Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

by 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

as fast as the car will go without breaking into pieces default_smile

I think I've had my '05 S up to 90 or 95 on the San Juan - Costa Mesa toll road, going downhill towards Laguna Canyon. I know it's at least 90. Don't want to go much faster, since I've seen multiple fatalities on that stretch of road right there.

have a 01 LE with around 48000 miles.

I usually cruise around 75-85 on highways. On open stretched, I easily go around 90 very often. I must say it is a drag at times especially on those days when engine sounds really rough (Does anyone have that issue?). However I have maxed out just over 100. This however needs favorable conditions, less cross winds, straight road or downward slope etc.

I don't think i had issues with handling, nor was I too afraid or anything. If its windy, I could feel my adrenaline up and my hands perspiring. But thats just some days. Its probably more to do with me than the car itself.

Hmm...i got my 93 1.8L corolla dx to around 120 before....i frequently go 100 in it....you just need to be calm and not freak out if the steering wheel shakes a little, or alot default_tongue oversteering=BAD

Hmm...i got my 93 1.8L corolla dx to around 120 before....i frequently go 100 in it....you just need to be calm and not freak out if the steering wheel shakes a little, or alot default_tongue oversteering=BAD

That high?

The speedo on my '97 (same gen as your '93) only goes to 180km/h which is about 112mph. So US Corolla speedos go to 120mph.

Either that or you timed yourself.

Guest hanijamal

same here... my corolla would only go upto 180km's as well.. did that this morning going to work default_biggrin ...

i did not know it went up to 120 Miles on the american models..

On my '05 the speedo goes all the way to 240 kph/150 mph. Magazines have had the current generation corolla with the 1ZZ-FE motor with manual transmission up to 200 kph at which it was restricted by gearing.

Since the top gear gearing is 35% longer in the auto 200 clicks shouldn't be out of the question. I shall try that only if I go to the Northern Territory, the only place outside of germany where it is leagal to go as fast as you wish.

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

after a well reputed member of UCP advised me to "open it up" on the highway to try to blast off any carbon deposits on the fuel injectors i had a few runs full accel, let it coast, full accel again, the fastest i got was 150 kph about 86 mph

2001 corolla ce auto 4 speed btw, and if anyone has advice for bad fuel economy please post on my thread "Bad Fuel economy"

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1
On my '05 the speedo goes all the way to 240 kph/150 mph. Magazines have had the current generation corolla with the 1ZZ-FE motor with manual transmission up to 200 kph at which it was restricted by gearing.

Since the top gear gearing is 35% longer in the auto 200 clicks shouldn't be out of the question. I shall try that only if I go to the Northern Territory, the only place outside of germany where it is leagal to go as fast as you wish.

um ... autobahn

On my '05 the speedo goes all the way to 240 kph/150 mph.

Same engine but your speedo goes to 150 mph? I assume this is why the speedo only goes up to this... What tires and speed rating do Australian Corollas have? Oh well, guess I can at least have fun trying to 'bury the needle' default_tongue

On my '05 the speedo goes all the way to 240 kph/150 mph.

Same engine but your speedo goes to 150 mph? I assume this is why the speedo only goes up to this... What tires and speed rating do Australian Corollas have? Oh well, guess I can at least have fun trying to 'bury the needle' default_tongue

Corolla XRS has a speedo going to 240.

The fastest I have gone is 145km/h. Over that I pull back.

Guest hanijamal

so this Corolla that goes up to 240 Kms..is that German ??

i dont think the candian or the american corolla's go up to that unless the limitor has been custom removed..

Hit 105 mph yesterday and it seemed very stable and very quiet with more in reserve.

I have H rated Falken 512's on so not worried about the tires not being able to cope thought to be honest I couldn't keep it at 100 as I was approaching heavier traffic.

I am sure she would cruise at 100 if the conditions were right.

The Car and Driver August 2004 review of the XRS says its top speed is 130 mph governor limited... But with peak power at 7600 rpm, I'd think it could go faster default_wink

so this Corolla that goes up to 240 Kms..is that German ??i dont think the candian or the american corolla's go up to that unless the limitor has been custom removed..

What is the limitor you mentioned?!? Any idea on how we could get it out? Not that I plan to .. jus curious.

Guest hanijamal

i believe you can take it into a shop and get it removed.. but that voids your warranty and insurance goes up..plus im not quite sure if its legal to do it too..

but yes.. it is possible.. i have know some ppl with standard trannies that have gotten it off.. none in auto though default_sad

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

a stock corolla cant go that fast, hell the xrs cant go that fast, even tho the gearing theoretically lets it go 150mph it doesnt have the grunt to haul at that speed, maybe if you altered the Cd to like 0.1 then you can but i dont see any other way you can do it

Hit 175 kph this past weekend (108.5 mph) coming home from a weekend trip (behind a white Camaro that I could not keep up with).

This was the peak speed, on a slight downhill, but the car was still pulling quite nicely.

All was calm, smooth and stable at that speed. New car, tires less than a week old..good roads, cool conditions.

I don't know if it is governed, but judging on 'feel' the car was on it's way to 190 + kph for sure if not (118 mph).

Cruised for some time in the 140-150 kph range....no sweat.

Guest scorpionzx1

well, so far i've only gotten mine up to 80 or so, but that was in a race, I haven't really tried a high speed run yet (2000 carolla le, manual, with plugs and an intake) its a work in progress.

Guest newbie

05' XRS 120mph, had to slow down from there cuz I would have pAssed my off-ramp.

Dai_Shan

Made it to 89-91 a couple times on my 2hr road trip this past weekend...handled like normal...heck i accelerated up a hill like it was nuthin from 75-90. very nice.

slowed down......strong fear of radars haha

Guest Bruno_XRS

Guest Bruno_XRS

I have driven my parents 05 CE 110 Miles an hour. cruising, maxxing out the speedometer, and I found it to be quite stable and smooth. just couldn't go any faster, probably limited. that's the record, at least until I get my XRS next week!!!

i've hit 93. the cam really comes on around 75 in 5th gear.

didn't feel too bad. was a nice smooth roade though. I wouldn't trust a little sedan on econo tires over 110 or so.

I once held my old 92 civic si at 115 for 2-3 minutes. that was nuts. i had to apex turns on the thruway. default_unsure

didn't buy the 'rolla for speed though. it's a nice reliable ride.

I've probably gone 85-90 in our 05. I've been in a fast line of traffic that was moving. Usually, I don't care to go over 72sh. The fuel economy really starts to drop after that.

The corolla is not a performance car, so I don't see the point in trying to go fast. The fastest I have ever driven in any car is about 135MPH. I did it once with a new set of Z rated tires and I don't really need to do it again. While I'm not afraid of driving fast, I sure as hell am afraid of a cop catching me going that fast default_smile Every now and then, I like to goose it above 100 when I have the road to myself in my project car. Other then that, I driver slower every year when I have a b-day.....

105; stock 93 7afe.

Topic List