Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

by 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Some much techincal info youve made me go cross eyed , ive checked my od against the speedcheck things on the road, seems close, engine is running standard ae101 gze ecu, has the gze tacho as well. I'm running 14psi at the moment with a front mount, when i had a top mount i needed to use a FCD because it was peaking at 17psi. The car was dynoed at 10psi with 117kws at the tread with standard exhaust and a cracked charger outlet, would dare to say that the car currently has around 135-140kws at the treads and only weights under 900kg, mabye i need to get my camera and find an even longer straight default_tongue

Wooh! - 17PSI. This on the SC12 or SC14 supercharger? Unless you had the supercharger rebuilt with new seals and beefed up the ends, I would try and keep it under 15PSI maximum. Above that - they are known to leak a lot of pressure, usually with very bad results. Sweet spot seems to be 10-12PSI on those motors, but a couple of 15PSI+ runs will not kill it, atleast not right away. Also, did you hardwire the S/C clutch or just leave it as is? - as I believe the magnetic clutch tends to cut out at 5500-6000RPMs to protect the supercharger assembly from blowing up. Some have run them to higher RPM levels, but a beefed up compressor would be required, unless you want to replace them every couple of months.

Amazing engine, the 4AGZE, that Toyota generously overengineered - many are able to take twice OEM boost (6-8PSI) without additional engine management or even upgrade the injectors. Hopefully, you are running a bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump or have some inline pumps to make sure the thing gets plenty of gas - be a shame to lean out at higher RPMs.

I highly doubt that you could get to 162 MPH. Sure in theory your power to weight ratio and your transmission ratio "could" allow you to go that fast, but that's on paper. Even an XRS has a top speed of 130. There is a reason why Corollas aren't designed to go higher than than that (overheating the engine, overheating and melting the tires, wind resistence, etc). The drag on a car exponentially increases for every 1 MPH over 100. That's why the Bugatti Veyron with 1000 HP can reach 253 MPH while a Supra tuned to 1000 HP could barely break 200 MPH. To reach high performance speeds, your car needs more than just a big engine.

Well on the newer XRS, it was mostly a safety concern - than performance limited (ie. OEM tires are H-speed rated, max sustained 130MPH). There are stock Corolla XRS that got up to an indicated 140MPH (170HP, almost 2700lb car, different tires, on a track - think it was a review in SuperStreet or SportCompactCar) - Poggy's weights around 2000lbs and makes about the same amount of go. Though the aerodynamics favor the newer Corolla over the AE82 - lightweight and more power only gets you to a certain point, then it up to the gearing and chAssis setup. That said, the E-series transaxles have a long 1st and 2nd gear - 3rd and 4th are a little shorter in comparison - a good matchup with the blower power characteristics. good lowrange to midrange pull - but not known for higher speed characteristics. You can get it up to 150MPH, if you had enough HP and could keep it on the ground.

Some much techincal info youve made me go cross eyed , ive checked my od against the speedcheck things on the road, seems close, engine is running standard ae101 gze ecu, has the gze tacho as well. I'm running 14psi at the moment with a front mount, when i had a top mount i needed to use a FCD because it was peaking at 17psi. The car was dynoed at 10psi with 117kws at the tread with standard exhaust and a cracked charger outlet, would dare to say that the car currently has around 135-140kws at the treads and only weights under 900kg, mabye i need to get my camera and find an even longer straight default_tongue

Wooh! - 17PSI. This on the SC12 or SC14 supercharger? Unless you had the supercharger rebuilt with new seals and beefed up the ends, I would try and keep it under 15PSI maximum. Above that - they are known to leak a lot of pressure, usually with very bad results. Sweet spot seems to be 10-12PSI on those motors, but a couple of 15PSI+ runs will not kill it, atleast not right away. Also, did you hardwire the S/C clutch or just leave it as is? - as I believe the magnetic clutch tends to cut out at 5500-6000RPMs to protect the supercharger assembly from blowing up. Some have run them to higher RPM levels, but a beefed up compressor would be required, unless you want to replace them every couple of months.

Amazing engine, the 4AGZE, that Toyota generously overengineered - many are able to take twice OEM boost (6-8PSI) without additional engine management or even upgrade the injectors. Hopefully, you are running a bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump or have some inline pumps to make sure the thing gets plenty of gas - be a shame to lean out at higher RPMs.

Was runnign 17psi with a topmount, with the Frount mount it runs 13-14psi, its not really the amount of boost that the cars making that kills the charger its the speed your spinning it at, top mounts dont cool as well and have less pipe so you get higher boost, doesnt lean out on 13-14psi, supercharger clutch is normal, i'm spinning the charger with a lightweight nevo 175mm crank pulley, the car is mildly modded, i run semi slicks on the car for road use, even with the LSD traction when 14psi coems instantly can be a problem , car also sits about 10cm off teh ground, and yes it has upgraded brakes and suspension its not to bad 200 plus, ive got some vids from the track, will post them up default_smile its me chasing a corvette down the straight from 60-70kmph to around 170-180kmph

now this was legal default_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkP4M5R2RPA

Bikeman982

Looks pretty fast to me.

Does look like a fun little ride. If people are getting arresting for posting vids like that then you should pull them before you get plugged too though.

What times/speeds does it run in the quarter mile?

With the stock gze running 6psi it ran a 14.2

It now has a mandrel bent 2.5inch exhaust with headers, 175mm light-weight overdrive pulley boosted up to 14ish psi, Front mount cooler, Larger Throttle body, cold air intake

Bikeman982

I took my project car out to the highway today, to see if the transaxle would explode if the car went too fast.

I got it up to 90MPH before I decided it was fast enough and would not have exploded.

The sound was very loud it has a 3-speed with no overdrive.

I didn't have a tachometer, but it sounded like it was rev'ing high.

Does anyone else have a similar car?

Guest Tochi

my 07 corolla so far is 116 still had 3k rpms to go

my 07 corolla so far is 116 still had 3k rpms to go

Is this a US spec corolla? They are limited to 115. Your speedo is probably a tad off.

i was trying to see how long it took the car to top out one night on the highway here locally, its a 10 mile stretch of highway that has a VERY straight bridge in the middle. All I know is the speedo went past the 115 mph marker on the speedo but it kept going...........a guy in a camaro that saw me and started to tag along to run his beast a bit said he was doing 145 when he finally caught me and pAssed me, and I was at about 4500 rpms in 5th gear, its a stock 7a-fe with a TRUE cold air intake.

i gotten 110mph on the freeway in my 02 corolla S 5spd took it a good 10sec to get from 85 to 110 though, it was very stable but i hav it on lowering springs shocks and strut brace. felt like i could go faster but my engine said otherwise. lacks alot of torque

Bikeman982

I can get my project car with the small 1.6L 3-speed, no overdrive up to pretty good speed,

but it gets very loud and I never really have to push it that hard.

I was just testing the remanufactured transaxle I installed and also the driveshafts.

It does make some noise, and I can understand why they added an overdrive.

The car rev's like it needs another gear at higher speeds.

Guest CAlightweight

Lets see, i've gotten my corolla up to 108 or 109, had to concentrate on the road. I did this on I-5 stretch to sacramento, any of you who are form California know what i am talking about. It felt alright, not solid that was for sure, sure does lack alot of power to get all the way up their though took forever.

01 Corolla LE

K_Watson

I took my project car out to the highway today, to see if the transaxle would explode if the car went too fast.I got it up to 90MPH before I decided it was fast enough and would not have exploded.

My car with the 1ZZ-FE and 3 speed auto sounds like it's ready to explode around 85-90. So you're not alone.

Bikeman982

I took my project car out to the highway today, to see if the transaxle would explode if the car went too fast.I got it up to 90MPH before I decided it was fast enough and would not have exploded.

My car with the 1ZZ-FE and 3 speed auto sounds like it's ready to explode around 85-90. So you're not alone.

Is it without an overdrive?

What year is it?

K_Watson

Is it without an overdrive?

What year is it?

98 no OD

Bikeman982

The overdrive makes a big difference when it comes to higher speeds.

It keeps it from sounding like the engine is going to explode.

The RPM is lower at top end. It also improves gas mileaqge.

I don't know why they all don't have overdrive.

That was fun.

How fast would my car be going with a tail wind, a 7a-FE, manual transmission, in 5th gear, when its at 5400rpms in 5th gear on a straight flat road? cause the speedometer wasnt able to keep up with it + my speedometer is way off anyways, but the tach is dead on.

The fastest I have every had my Corolla was 95mph. The fastest I've ever driven was 120 in my Opel GT many years ago.

I will drive any car as fast as I feel I can safely take it.

How fast would my car be going with a tail wind, a 7a-FE, manual transmission, in 5th gear, when its at 5400rpms in 5th gear on a straight flat road? cause the speedometer wasnt able to keep up with it + my speedometer is way off anyways, but the tach is dead on.
****uming that you have stock sized tires (same circumference) - and running a C52 tranny - probably around 117-120MPH. Road must have a slightly downward grade or had a tail-wind. Even stock N/A Celicas and MR2 can barely make it over that much on a straight and level track.

The fastest I've ever driven is 150mph on an 06' evo 9. I can go 110mph on my 99 Prizm. The 1zzfe engine is pretty torquey going from 75 to 110.

Bikeman982

****uming that you have stock sized tires (same circumference) - and running a C52 tranny - probably around 117-120MPH. Road must have a slightly downward grade or had a tail-wind. Even stock N/A Celicas and MR2 can barely make it over that much on a straight and level track.

My 7A-FE with an automatic (no tach) in top gear did 100 MPH before I got to too much traffic and had to slow down.

It was on straight, level road. If it was with a strong tailwind and downhill, it would have been faster.

On a straight strech I my girl friend was racing my friends 96 Maxima, and we hit about 118, and we were ahead till about 105 and he creeped past us and when I looked at the spedo it was past 110, and when i talked to justin he said he was doing about 125 when he shut down. we were at his bumper. default_laugh

Topic List