Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Fast Would You Go?

By 112263, June 27, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

I was able to get a 92 Geo Prism automatic (aka Toyota Corolla) to over 110mph on the speedometer. I estimate I was going around 115mph.

This was on a 2 lane highway, and everyone was in the right lane.

I kept checking the oncoming traffic for cops. I saw one, slowed down, and moved to the right lane.

Two cops pulled up and they pulled over the driver right behind me. I guess they assumed a prism could never reach those speeds.

I feel bad for the guy behind me that got a ticket for 115mph.

I was able to get a 92 Geo Prism automatic (aka Toyota Corolla) to over 110mph on the speedometer. I estimate I was going around 115mph.This was on a 2 lane highway, and everyone was in the right lane.

I kept checking the oncoming traffic for cops. I saw one, slowed down, and moved to the right lane.

Two cops pulled up and they pulled over the driver right behind me. I guess they assumed a prism could never reach those speeds.

I feel bad for the guy behind me that got a ticket for 115mph.

That's funny and a close call. I went out with my car last Saturday on a two lane highway and got my rolla up over 110 again. It is just a fun car to drive default_biggrin . I have a radar detector to help me watch out for cops though.

i have pushed my 04 Corolla S to 110 on highway, it maxes out at that speed...

The guage maxes out at 110, I could feel my prizm pulling hard though, Have pictures on my phone :/ dosent help me much lol, but yeah so all I can brag is 110, but I drove like that for like 40 mins default_tongue, It is the CHEVY prizm though, Equipped with the 1zzfe

JCampini(07S)

I’ve gone 115mph in my '07corolla S and then it stopped going faster it felt like if it has a governor on it the dash says 110 but my GPS said 115

if anyone knows how to remove the '07S type speed restriction please let my know

Yup - there is a speed limiter set to 115MPH on the 9th gen Corollas. There is a way to defeat that - but I will not post that information here as it is way too easy to overdrive the capabilities of the chAssis.

Yup - there is a speed limiter set to 115MPH on the 9th gen Corollas. There is a way to defeat that - but I will not post that information here as it is way too easy to overdrive the capabilities of the chAssis.

How much can the chAssis handle and how easy is it to over ride the limiter?

Depends on the individual car - but there is a reason why the Corolla is speed governed instead of top speed drag limited. Not that the Corolla (1ZZFE) will get much past the governor anyway - the aero drag will increase at the square of speed - takes a huge increase of power to propel the car an incremental amount in top speed. Some say the Corolla is pretty stable at speed - I personally wouldn't push my luck. Smooth jellybean shape tends to get a little light at speed (body lifts up). Having driven cars that are much capable of high speed (Europeans) the Corolla feels insecure at best. Even high powered cars like the Corvette - good example are the C4 Vettes - can get a bit hairy at speeds approaching a buck and a quarter.

Even the Corolla XRS with a more powerful engine, slightly lower stance and better tires OEM - (2ZZ-GE engines - 170HP typically cannot push past 130-135, possibly 140 on a level grade (I believe they are limited to 135-138?) Body-wise, I believe that is the drag limit on the 9th gen - unless you add huge amount of power (hundreds of horsepower). Got to beef up the rest of the car before you can push it up there speed-wise. Brakes, suspension, adequate engine cooling, tire selection, etc. - ****uming you plan on doing this more than a few times. The speed limiter can be lifted a couple different ways - easy depends on your definition of easy (i.e. cost, future plans like EMS, etc.). There are tons of information around the web that can direct you in ways to bypass the limiter.

Depends on the individual car - but there is a reason why the Corolla is speed governed instead of top speed drag limited. Not that the Corolla (1ZZFE) will get much past the governor anyway - the aero drag will increase at the square of speed - takes a huge increase of power to propel the car an incremental amount in top speed. Some say the Corolla is pretty stable at speed - I personally wouldn't push my luck. Smooth jellybean shape tends to get a little light at speed (body lifts up). Having driven cars that are much capable of high speed (Europeans) the Corolla feels insecure at best. Even high powered cars like the Corvette - good example are the C4 Vettes - can get a bit hairy at speeds approaching a buck and a quarter.

Even the Corolla XRS with a more powerful engine, slightly lower stance and better tires OEM - (2ZZ-GE engines - 170HP typically cannot push past 130-135, possibly 140 on a level grade (I believe they are limited to 135-138?) Body-wise, I believe that is the drag limit on the 9th gen - unless you add huge amount of power (hundreds of horsepower). Got to beef up the rest of the car before you can push it up there speed-wise. Brakes, suspension, adequate engine cooling, tire selection, etc. - ****uming you plan on doing this more than a few times. The speed limiter can be lifted a couple different ways - easy depends on your definition of easy (i.e. cost, future plans like EMS, etc.). There are tons of information around the web that can direct you in ways to bypass the limiter.

Thanks!

230k in my 94 sentra

230k in my 94 sentra
230,000 mph in a Sentra??!!? default_blink

[note thread title]

Got a '97 Prizm up to 95 MPH with quite a bit of pedal left. Didn't try for any more because the tires were kind of old at the time and truthfully, I really don't care for the floaty feeling a 2,600 pound car feels at speeds above 80 MPH.

But, that's just me..................

I got my 1988 corolla with the 4-AF to about 95 but it wont go anyfaster no matter hown long you hold the peddle down

230k in my 94 sentra

230,000 mph in a Sentra??!!? default_blink

[note thread title]

That must be the Sentra with the Warp-Drive option. default_laugh

105 ish in 1998 corolla (all stock at the time). Did not feel like the car should be going that fast; engine, suspension, and chases were making noises that were not comforting

Bikeman982

I saw a motorcycle cop hiding behind some bushes today - between the highway, just waiting to come out and chase someone.

They are out there!!

I've taken mine to 110mph and i ran out of highway before i could see if i could push it a bit more.....then again, i've got a standard 4A-FE into my AE111, so i guess it's just not worth the risk to push it beyond that......

Not bad for a 8yr old standard engine right??? default_cool

i have a 99 corolla and i took it way pass 110 the needle kept going on it

Had my '09 up to 110 on a long flat section of highway (with little roadside cover for LEOs). It sure didn't get there quick, but that WOT 3-4 shift was nice and solid default_biggrin I don't think it locked the converter. 115 may have been possible, but there is definitely no electronic limiter as with the folks' '05 Echo, it's all wind resistance. The car definitely isn't meant to sustain that speed, but it felt decently stable for an economy car.

A bit more frightening was taking my then-unmodified '76 Ford Thunderbird up to 90mph with a worn-out rubber isolator at the steering box. My word was that thing floating around when I let off the gas....but a 460 big block is music to the ears at that speed!

For any OPP officers on the board: above is fictional for entertainment purposes only.

a 460 big block is music to the ears at that speed!

It even sounds good idling. A friend put one in his 74 mustang and we had to pretty much yell to hear eachother talk inside when it was just idling. Boy was that little mustang fun when that 460 opened up. You could watch the gas gauge go down as he gunned it too but that was back when gas was around $.89.

Guest madhatter

Hi. Yesterday I was out driving my Corolla. I was on a stretch of open highway. I decided to see how fast it would go. I put the "pedal to the metal" and the car accelerated to 90. At that point, I chickened out. Why? Because every little bump on the road felt like a giant bump. I felt that I might lose control of the car if I went any faster.

Folks: please tell your stories of how fast you have gone or would go in your Corollas. You may have more courage / foolhardiness than I do. How fast do these things go anyway?

My 2009 Rolla hits 125MPH pretty quick but when it gets to that point the govonor kicks the RPMs from 6100 down to about 3200!!!

My 2009 Rolla hits 125MPH pretty quick .....

My '85 corolla with 150K miles on it would only do 90 and I drove it pegged like that for like 30 minutes at a time. Never had an engine prob, just oil leek at the bell housing which I hear is common for an engine with a lot of miles. I did 100 in my '99. Haven't tried the '02 yet and I don't really feel I need to. My bike does over 100 in second gear and there's 4 more after that. 100mph is sorta an every day thing almost.

• 54 posts

I had an old Ford P71... buried it after 140. No idea how fast it would go. 147?

Buried speedo on a '91 grand marquis... I think that was 113.

Neon would go 127, buried speedo and hit the limiter... I assume that was 127?

'03 mustang... limited to 115 (v6) saw that.

old truck ('71 ford F100 with the 302 v-8 and a 4-speed on the floor)... speedo went up to 100, buried that speedo too.

'83 cougar... went to 85, buried that speedo. No guts, I'm guessing maybe 92, tops.

Fastest ever? ... North of ??? in a Supra. 14xx rwhp will do that.

The 'izm has seen 110. Pretty shaky and floaty. Junk Sumitomo's and a crappy balance job.

Guest CPCorolla

well guys i have a Corolla 2007 1.6L i took it around ~124 of course in a straight empty highway however no handling problems arise at that speed. default_biggrin

Topic List