Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

Took a trip to Hopewell Junction, NY to see my aunt. My trip read 66.1 when I left my house and read 223.0 when I arrived in NY. I hit some traffic on I-84 West so the drive took me 2 hours and 54 minutes to travel 156.9 miles so I averaged 54.1 MPH, and my gauge reads over half a tank left.

W00t!

Good chance this tank lasts me 400 miles.

Did you have a good tailwind? Was it mostly downhill?

I had some nice tailwinds and some big hills that I just coasted down in gear for like 3 - 4 miles without my foot on the gas pedal.

default_biggrin

I have started shifting to neutral and using gravity on the little hills I go over -maybe it will help??

Took a trip to Hopewell Junction, NY to see my aunt. My trip read 66.1 when I left my house and read 223.0 when I arrived in NY. I hit some traffic on I-84 West so the drive took me 2 hours and 54 minutes to travel 156.9 miles so I averaged 54.1 MPH, and my gauge reads over half a tank left.

W00t!

I had some nice tailwinds and some big hills that I just coasted down in gear for like 3 - 4 miles without my foot on the gas pedal.

default_biggrin

I have started shifting to neutral and using gravity on the little hills I go over -maybe it will help??

Coasting in gear while your foot is off the gas pedal uses less gas than shifting to neutral and coasting.

Neutral is bad because what happens if you have to make an emergency maneuver? You'll have to get back into gear and by the time it takes to do that it might be too late.

My new 2006 CE with an automatic is getting a touch over 40mpg on the highway with the windows down and a/c off.

Bikeman982

W00t!

default_biggrin

Coasting in gear while your foot is off the gas pedal uses less gas than shifting to neutral and coasting.

Neutral is bad because what happens if you have to make an emergency maneuver? You'll have to get back into gear and by the time it takes to do that it might be too late.

How can you coast in gear, doesn't the transmission slow you down??

When in neutral, the engine is at idle - seems like less gas is burning then.

Emergency maneuvers are - turn left, turn right, (swerve), or stop (use the brakes). Doesn't have anything to do with the engine. If you stop real short when in drive, the car will probably stall. In neutral it does not.

W00t!

default_biggrin

How can you coast in gear, doesn't the transmission slow you down??

When in neutral, the engine is at idle - seems like less gas is burning then.

Emergency maneuvers are - turn left, turn right, (swerve), or stop (use the brakes). Doesn't have anything to do with the engine. If you stop real short when in drive, the car will probably stall. In neutral it does not.

If you have to accelerate out of the way for some reason you'll NEED to be IN GEAR. Events which require emergency maneuvers such as quick acceleration most likely cause the driver to panic a little. That little panic while trying to get back into gear could mean the time difference of moving out of the way or getting smashed.

If I am going fast enough down a hill I'll sustain my speed in gear for quite a while. Most modern engines use practically little to no fuel and may even shut off the injectors when the gas pedal is not depressed.

I’ll test this theory once I get a new car with OBD II and I’ll get a ScanGauge so I’ll see my instantaneous MPG while driving.

during engine braking the injectors shutoff. idling regardless of vehicle speed the injectors are firing.

Bikeman982

during engine braking the injectors shutoff. idling regardless of vehicle speed the injectors are firing.

Don't the injectors have to continue working, in order for the engine to keep running??

Is it like shutting off the fuel when the injectors are off?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't injectors supply the fuel to the engine? If so, once they shut off, the engine will as well. You can't run an engine on pure air.

WOW!

Gallons used: 10.132

Miles driven: 380.4

Miles per gallon: 37.5

Highest yet!

when you're coasting down (engine braking) the injectors are closed since theres no air going to the engine, it becomes a vacuum pump. its literally the friction and vacuum slowing the car. since the engine is still spinning at an operational speed all of your accessories are turning at normal speeds and all of the relays are closed because the car is on. its almost like the engine turns itself off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't injectors supply the fuel to the engine? If so, once they shut off, the engine will as well. You can't run an engine on pure air.
you're not running the engine at all! you're using the engine as a brake to slow the car down, if the engine were running it would be adding to the cars speed.

WOW!

Highest yet!

Not bad at all. Sure you weren't running downhill default_biggrin

WOW!

Highest yet!

Not bad at all. Sure you weren't running downhill default_biggrin

Actually I was climbing a couple hills.

default_laugh

Bikeman982

when you're coasting down (engine braking) the injectors are closed since theres no air going to the engine, it becomes a vacuum pump. its literally the friction and vacuum slowing the car. since the engine is still spinning at an operational speed all of your accessories are turning at normal speeds and all of the relays are closed because the car is on. its almost like the engine turns itself off.

you're not running the engine at all! you're using the engine as a brake to slow the car down, if the engine were running it would be adding to the cars speed.

I could be wrong, but I think the engine is always running, even while decellerating. I think you acellerate when you have enough gas and air mixed together to overcome the vehicles weight and the resistance to motion. I don't think the injectors turn off until the engine is actually turned off. I think the breaking force of the engine is the compression resistance when there is less combustion due to less gas and air mixture (not totally shut off) when you let off on the gas pedal.

trust me, the injectors turn off more often then you think. dont beleive me?

go underhood with a screwdriver, put the tip against an injector and the handle to your ear. you can hear it ticking open and closed at idle. now grab the throttle and rev the engine up a bit and then let it snap closed. while the engine rpm is dropping with a closed throttle you'll heard the injectors STOP firing. engine braking is the same criteria as snapping the throttle closed to the PCM, it decides that no fuel is needed and closes them.

engine braking is partially the resistance to compression, but mostly its the engine vacuum. its like trying to draw a plunger on a syringe down fast with a very small needle, theres alot of resistance right? when the throttle plate is closed and the engine is spinning at 4000 rpm its trying to move alot of air past a very small hole isnt it? diesel engines do not have engine vacuum (no throttle plate) and do use the compression as a brake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_braking the article focuses more on diesel application

friendly_jacek

I don't think the injectors turn off until the engine is actually turned off.

You are free to think what you want, but the truth is gas is not delivered to engine during decelerations, a way to save some gas. Easy to see if one monitors O2 sensor with OBD2 scanner.

Bikeman982

So more gas is saved by taking your foot off the gas pedal than putting it in neutral and coasting with the engine at idle?

Depends on the situation - if you use engine braking down a hill and you come up short on the bottom vs coasting in nuetral and maybe making it up a good portion of the next hill - that's getting dicey there.

Think of it this way - most cars roughly burn about a pint to a quart a gas every 15 minutes of idling, about a half gallon to a gallon per hour. Calculating how and when to coast down a bunch of hills or engine braking to save a little bit of gas seems too much trouble to really worry about - at least in more traffic congested areas. I could see this only paying off in some quieter towns and areas where you have more time to plan ahead.

Bikeman982

Depends on the situation - if you use engine braking down a hill and you come up short on the bottom vs coasting in nuetral and maybe making it up a good portion of the next hill - that's getting dicey there.

Think of it this way - most cars roughly burn about a pint to a quart a gas every 15 minutes of idling, about a half gallon to a gallon per hour. Calculating how and when to coast down a bunch of hills or engine braking to save a little bit of gas seems too much trouble to really worry about - at least in more traffic congested areas. I could see this only paying off in some quieter towns and areas where you have more time to plan ahead.

I don't have a bunch of hills in my area, just a couple that I can coast down. I thought if I coasted down them everyday, I might show a long-term gas improvement, versus keeping it in gear as I go down the hills.

I have always shifted into neutral and coasted down hills on side roads and highways (long long downhills)ever since I started driving (this car) little more than three years ago. I also neutral and coast while on off-ramps. When I need to get into gear, I rev up to 2K or 2.5K depending on speed and shift to 5th.

Bikeman982

I have always shifted into neutral and coasted down hills on side roads and highways (long long downhills)ever since I started driving (this car) little more than three years ago. I also neutral and coast while on off-ramps. When I need to get into gear, I rev up to 2K or 2.5K depending on speed and shift to 5th.
Is that because you consider it fun, or because you think it helps get better gas mileage??

When my 05 LE was 2 weeks old, I got as far as 650 miles on one tank.

Of course, those days are over...

In Vegas, with 95% city driving, trips shorter than 20 miles, I average about 26 mpg. Highway still good with about 38-40 mpg.

No one gets good city gas mileage in Vegas.

In Vegas, with 95% city driving, trips shorter than 20 miles, I average about 26 mpg. Highway still good with about 38-40 mpg.

Except the people driving Hybrids.

default_tongue

Bikeman982

Except the people driving Hybrids.

default_tongue

I have driven in Vegas and there are too many stop lights there

Gallons Used: 10.782

Miles Driven: 308.4

MPG: 28.6

All city, typically 6 mile drives, 9 stop lights. Not bad.

I have yet to do any freeway driving, but I'm expecting it to get up to 40 MPG.

I'm also going to get gas from a different location next time. I just learned today that the gas from the gas station I normally go to is "like water." I'll fill up at Chevron just to see if it makes any difference.

Bikeman982

Gallons Used: 10.782Miles Driven: 308.4

MPG: 28.6

All city, typically 6 mile drives, 9 stop lights. Not bad.

I have yet to do any freeway driving, but I'm expecting it to get up to 40 MPG.

I'm also going to get gas from a different location next time. I just learned today that the gas from the gas station I normally go to is "like water." I'll fill up at Chevron just to see if it makes any difference.

It probably won't reach 40 MPG but it can get better than 30MPG.

Highway mileage would be much better.

The gas will be more expensive, although it should slightly improve the running performance.

Topic List