Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

When my 05 LE was 2 weeks old, I got as far as 650 miles on one tank.

Of course, those days are over...

In Vegas, with 95% city driving, trips shorter than 20 miles, I average about 26 mpg. Highway still good with about 38-40 mpg.

No one gets good city gas mileage in Vegas.

how can you get 650?

I had an 05 LE automatic. the light went on and I had 430 miles. It was about 40 mpg that particular tank--and I only had at most 3 gallons left (120 miles).

So, 550 would be the max--unless you had extended fuel tanks.

^^^ Possible but very difficult to obtain. Some owners were able to get over 600 miles on a single tank, risking your fuel pump life, but doable. One owner on the old 9thgencorolla forums posted a 661 mile tank. Hypermiling techniques, trip planning, etc. Poster on this forum was able to hit 40+ MPG in city driving only.

I don't see them getting that every trip out, but to be able to uncork one from time to time is possible. Best that I've ever got on my 8th gen was 606 miles on a single tank - 47 MPG on 12.9 gallons on a trip from Northeast OH to the Outer Banks NC. I usually shot for 450 miles on a tank (my weekly commute).

^^ That's still some good mileage for an 8th gen about 34 mpg, but is your commute mainly highway or city. I am asking cause I need to find out how to up my mpgs. Bad economy plus crappy job equals even less money, so understandably tips for higher mileage would be great. And I guess mine is an 8.5 gen, technically.

^^ I'd say probably 80/20 - highway/city mix. DC metro traffic, so there are periods where I'm hauling and periods of extensive idling. My 40 mile commute to or from work varies in time from as little as 45 minutes to 2 hours - depending on traffic. So my overall mileage gets me almost exactly a weeks worth of driving on a single tank of gas (5 x 80 miles + weekend travel) - makes it pretty convenient, fill up once a week.

I tend to plump my tires up with air - currently running 42 PSI on the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS PP tires - reduces their rolling resistance quite a bit, but you have to balance that with traction and wear considerations - max cold inflation is 44PSI, so I have plenty of leeway. Run all synthetic fluids, and keep up with maintenance as best as I can.

49-50mpg (Canadian gallons) on the highway. Drops to about 48 with the AC running and a full load of passengers and camping gear. Right now I'm getting 41-43 with the winter gasoline.

Topic List