Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

mine makes about 22 in the city and about 25-32 depending on the distance. gotta love a 6 speed

Bikeman982

Just made this:

http://s2.supload.com/free/economy.jpg/view/

You might want to change your scale on it to show more emphasis on the MPG range that you get rather than start at zero. Just a suggestion.

Bikeman982

You might want to change your scale on it to show more emphasis on the MPG range that you get rather than start at zero. Just a suggestion.

http://s2.supload.com/free/graph-20060403165658.jpg/view/

That is an excellent improvement in the graphic representation of your mileage. In order to make some conclusions you would have to consider what the major variables are and how they affected your readings on the chart. Factors such as type of driving, both city/highway and passive/aggressive style,temperature, speed, gas octane rating, etc.

Some more cool graphs because I am cool like that.

http://s2.supload.com/free/1-20060403172913.jpg/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/2-20060403172914.jpg/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/3-20060403172914.jpg/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/4-20060403172914.jpg/view/

http://s2.supload.com/free/5-20060403172915.jpg/view/

That is an excellent improvement in the graphic representation of your mileage. In order to make some conclusions you would have to consider what the major variables are and how they affected your readings on the chart. Factors such as type of driving, both city/highway and passive/aggressive style,temperature, speed, gas octane rating, etc.

93 octane on all the readings (manual says 91 or higher . . . pumps usually have 87/89/93 leaving me 93 as only option, compression ratio 9:5.1). Price of gas doesn’t bother me because I usually fill up every 25 – 30 days. From June 04 - May 05 it was mostly city driving, plus the cold winters, short trips, and the hills around town. When I got to college in August 05, my mileage increased because I was doing mostly highway driving (~ 30 miles each way, 65 - 70 MPH going to school, 45 - 55 MPH coming home on the back roads).

Car is 13 years old anyways, performs well, and gets me from A to B fine. And when I want to have a little fun, the five speed manual gearbox grants me that option. default_cool

As you can see the gearing is well done. Peak torque is around 2,800 RPMs so in 5th 2,800 yields ~ 66 - 68 MPH. I normally cruise on the highway at 70 MPH so when I put my foot down to pass there's rarely an occurrence where I'll need to downshift unless I want to have to fun. Double clutching from 5-4, 4-3, at 70 MPH is an instant burst of power. Soon I'll be able to do 5-3, but in the mean time I'll go through all the gears. It requires less of a "blip" going from 4-3. I am working on it.

Nice! Something that I wanted to do myself, but need to find the time to do (need to stop reading and posting so I can do it default_biggrin) .

Bikeman982

Looks like straight-line acceleration!

Looks like straight-line acceleration!

Actually this makes more sense. I wouldn't be cruising at 25 MPH in fifth. . .

http://s2.supload.com/free/1-20060404112052.jpg/view/

Shift to second at ~6,000 RPM going ~ 40 MPH.

http://s2.supload.com/free/2-20060404112052.jpg/view/

Drop to ~ 4,100 RPMs, shift to third at ~ 6,300 RPMs going ~ 65 MPH.

http://s2.supload.com/free/3-20060404112053.jpg/view/

Drop to ~ 4,500 RPMs, shift to fourth at ~5,600 RPMs going ~ 80 MPH.

http://s2.supload.com/free/4-20060404112053.jpg/view/

Drop to ~ 4,700 RPMs, shift to fifth at ~5,600 RPMs going ~ 110 MPH.

http://s2.supload.com/free/5-20060404112053.jpg/view/

First two gears shifted at/near redline to get all the power, rest right at maximum horsepower.

Nice, winter MPG is lower as expected. Why difference between 04 vs 05?

From June 04 - May 05 it was mostly city driving, plus the cold winters, short trips, and the hills around town. When I got to college in August 05, my mileage increased because I was doing mostly highway driving (~ 30 miles each way, 65 - 70 MPH going to school, 45 - 55 MPH coming home on the back roads).

2004 we had a bad winter, very cold -20 degrees Fahrenheit on some occasions, very hilly, short trips about 5 miles each way with lights so the engine could barely warm up. This means it was running rich that whole time while I drove myself and my sister to school everyday.

Oh yeah, and http://s2.supload.com/free/StockCurve.gif/view/

That's the stock 7A-FE engine horse power/torque curves.

Bikeman982

What are the modifications that you have done on your engine??

If that post was intended for me then the answer is no. My engine is completely stock.

Bikeman982

If that post was intended for me then the answer is no. My engine is completely stock.

I imagine my results would look similar to yours. I used to commute a short distance (six miles) to work and back, now it is over fifty and mostly highway miles. Around town my gas mileage is around 26-28 and on highway it is closer to 30. I am trying to get past that into the lower 30's, but I never got 36 MPG.

I imagine my results would look similar to yours. I used to commute a short distance (six miles) to work and back, now it is over fifty and mostly highway miles. Around town my gas mileage is around 26-28 and on highway it is closer to 30. I am trying to get past that into the lower 30's, but I never got 36 MPG.

That's where the manual benefits. With five gears to play with it changes the fuel economy slightly. I am assuming you have a four speed automatic?

Bikeman982

That's where the manual benefits. With five gears to play with it changes the fuel economy slightly. I am assuming you have a four speed automatic?

That is correct. I like the automatic, even though the manual would be better on gas and also more fun to drive. I purchased it that way on e-Bay and don't really have the time or money to change it.

Out of curiosity. what would be involved in changing it to standard?

That is correct. I like the automatic, even though the manual would be better on gas and also more fun to drive. I purchased it that way on e-Bay and don't really have the time or money to change it.

If you have the 7A-FE, just find a C52 transmission. I am sure that'll bolt up to the 7A-FE engine nicely. I am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to switching transmissions so you'll have to do more research/figure out if it's really worth it to you. Good luck anyways.

I am just lucky that my dad bought the LSi version of the Prizm back in '93 with the 1.8L 7A-FE 5 SPD manual with anti-sway bars, and whatever came with the optional "sport" package back then.

Bikeman982

If you have the 7A-FE, just find a C52 transmission. I am sure that'll bolt up to the 7A-FE engine nicely. I am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to switching transmissions so you'll have to do more research/figure out if it's really worth it to you. Good luck anyways.

I am just lucky that my dad bought the LSi version of the Prizm back in '93 with the 1.8L 7A-FE 5 SPD manual with anti-sway bars, and whatever came with the optional "sport" package back then.

Thanks. I don't think I will undertake changing the car to a manual due to all the modifications needed. Changing the transmission would not be too difficult, but I would have to put in a clutch pedal and linkages as well as modify the center console area. It is easier to live with an automatic. Maybe the next car I get will be a standard.

*Update*

I just filled up today. default_smile

I drove 380.5 miles using 10.875 gallons of fuel.

35.0 MPG

default_smile

This tank lasted me 28 days (03/11/06 - 04/08/06).

Bikeman982

*Update*

35.0 MPG

default_smile

Were they mostly highway miles? Thanks seems like pretty good MPG. I wish I could get that much! I fill up my tank every theree to four days. If you have the standard size tank (13.2 gallons) at 35.0 MPG you could get about 460 miles per tankful. That is about 80 miles further than what you drove. That's pretty far while on empty.

*Update*

35.0 MPG

default_smile

Were they mostly highway miles? Thanks seems like pretty good MPG. I wish I could get that much! I fill up my tank every theree to four days. If you have the standard size tank (13.2 gallons) at 35.0 MPG you could get about 460 miles per tankful. That is about 80 miles further than what you drove. That's pretty far while on empty.

And if my fuel filler tube was 0.8 gallons then I could potentially get 500 + miles on one tank since I have achieved 36.1 MPG in the past.

From the school to the back roads it's usually 5 - 6 miles of city driving (I take Rt. 12 South to Rt. 2 West to Rt. 31 South to 140 South). It seems like a lot, but it happens fast after I go through the city of Fitchburg, MA. Then once I get on to 140 South its constant driving so no lights. Plus, 140 South is straight and flat with some hills that I'll coast down. I'd say 25 - 30 miles of that. I am going a relatively steady speed of 45 - 55 MPH all the time while in top gear. I feel that this route is more economical than taking 290 East to 190 North back, but who knows.

Going back to school it's about 4 miles of city driving then 30 miles on the major highways 290 West to 190 North towards Fitchburg. I go 70 MPH the whole time.

I am very happy with my economy. I hope once I get a summer job the route is similar to that.

Bikeman982

*Update*

35.0 MPG

default_smile

And if my fuel filler tube was 0.8 gallons then I could potentially get 500 + miles on one tank since I have achieved 36.1 MPG in the past.

From the school to the back roads it's usually 5 - 6 miles of city driving (I take Rt. 12 South to Rt. 2 West to Rt. 31 South to 140 South). It seems like a lot, but it happens fast after I go through the city of Fitchburg, MA. Then once I get on to 140 South its constant driving so no lights. Plus, 140 South is straight and flat with some hills that I'll coast down. I'd say 25 - 30 miles of that. I am going a relatively steady speed of 45 - 55 MPH all the time while in top gear. I feel that this route is more economical than taking 290 East to 190 North back, but who knows.

Going back to school it's about 4 miles of city driving then 30 miles on the major highways 290 West to 190 North towards Fitchburg. I go 70 MPH the whole time.

I am very happy with my economy. I hope once I get a summer job the route is similar to that.

I think the 13.2 gallons also includes the 2-3 gallons of the filler tube.

Filled up today.

This tank lasted me 29 days (04/08/06, 05/07/06).

Went 406.4 miles using 11.438 gallons.

35.5 MPG

Over the last 367 days (16 fill-ups) I've averaged 34 MPG.

Over the last 685 days (34 fill-ups) I've averaged 30.9 MPG.

ive been taking it really easy (except friday night when i had to HURRY to get parts for some work sat morning) and im at 233 miles all city and just on 1/4 tank.

ive been taking it really easy (except friday night when i had to HURRY to get parts for some work sat morning) and im at 233 miles all city and just on 1/4 tank.

Dude is your gauge messed up?

233 miles on 1/4th yields ~70.6 MPG.

Umm you sure you don't mean 133?

Or 1/2 at 233?

Bikeman982

Dude is your gauge messed up?

233 miles on 1/4th yields ~70.6 MPG.

Umm you sure you don't mean 133?

Or 1/2 at 233?

I think he means his guage reads 1/4. That means he got 233 miles on about 3/4 of a tank. That is a little more realistic, it's not great if you figure 233 miles on 3/4 of 13.2 gallons = 23.5 MPG.

Topic List