Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

I have terrible gas milage on my '02 Corolla. Most of my miles are on the highway at 60 mph. Just had platium spark plugs put in 10 ago. The car runs good although the check engine light comes on every 2,000 miles with a 420 code (converter). That wouldn't effect the gas milage ...would it?

oh it could, switch those platinum plugs out for stock ones too.

Especially if you leave the check engine light on. The computer makes up for the fault and may supply more than normal gas to the engine which is not good for the motor.

Bikeman982

I filled up my car today, even though the gas guage is not working and reads below empty all the time. I had 242.8 miles on the trip meter and it took 9.55 gallons. Does that mean I get 242.8/9.55 or 25.4 miles per gallon? I guess that would be good for the way I drive, especially since it is mostly just around town and seldom on the highway? I have a 1.8L engine and I think my 1993 gets better gas mileage with the 1.6L engine, although I like the additional power that the 1994 supplies.

Does anyone know what the fuel tank capacity is for the 1993 - 1997 Corolla? I checked both manuals I have and they do not list it.

I filled up my car today, even though the gas guage is not working and reads below empty all the time. I had 242.8 miles on the trip meter and it took 9.55 gallons. Does that mean I get 242.8/9.55 or 25.4 miles per gallon? I guess that would be good for the way I drive, especially since it is mostly just around town and seldom on the highway? I have a 1.8L engine and I think my 1993 gets better gas mileage with the 1.6L engine, although I like the additional power that the 1994 supplies.

Does anyone know what the fuel tank capacity is for the 1993 - 1997 Corolla? I checked both manuals I have and they do not list it.

13.2 - 14 gallons depending on if you "top off" and fill up the fuel filler tube.

Bikeman982

So if my tank holds 13.2 gallons, at 25.4 miles per gallon, 13.2 X 25.4 = I should get 335 miles per tank? I always top off the filler tube (because I don't like to frequent the gas station), so 14 gallons would yield 242.8/9.55 X 14=355.9 miles? I will have to test it to see for sure. I just filled up today so if I go an average of 14 miles per day for the 355.9 miles, it should take me 355.9/14 = 25.4 days? I guess I will repost then on 11 January plus 25 days = 36.4 - 31 days in January = 5 February? All this sound right?

So if my tank holds 13.2 gallons, at 25.4 miles per gallon, 13.2 X 25.4 = I should get 335 miles per tank? I always top off the filler tube (because I don't like to frequent the gas station), so 14 gallons would yield 242.8/9.55 X 14=355.9 miles? I will have to test it to see for sure. I just filled up today so if I go an average of 14 miles per day for the 355.9 miles, it should take me 355.9/14 = 25.4 days? I guess I will repost then on 11 January plus 25 days = 36.4 - 31 days in January = 5 February? All this sound right?

Yes on paper it seems right, but there are a lot of variables. If you want to see how far you can go, I recommend carrying a gas bin filled with a couple of gallons in case you run out of gas.

Bikeman982

Yes on paper it seems right, but there are a lot of variables. If you want to see how far you can go, I recommend carrying a gas bin filled with a couple of gallons in case you run out of gas.

That's my plan exactly. I plan to drive it until the trip meter hits 300 miles and then put a gas can with a gallon or two in it in the trunk and drive it until it runs out. That way I will know exactly how many miles I can go on a tankfull. I figure I can go about 335-355 miles.

Guest ColoradoCorolla

I have a 99 Corolla CE sedan, automatic (4 speed), standard 1.8L engine, 99,000 miles, well-maintained, recent tune-up, basic all-season tires. Driving mostly highway, 50+ miles each way to work, I get around 36 mpg. Highway speed varies from 50 mph on a two-lane portion to 80 mph on the expressway. Around 7-8 miles of that 50+ mile trip is through stop lights in 25-45 mph zones. In mixed driving where it is at least half city driving, I seem to get 32-34 mpg.

Bikeman982

My car has reached almost 250 miles on the trip meter and will be time to fill it up soon. My gas guage is working correctly (as far as I can tell) and indicates the gas is getting low. I expect to make at least 300 miles on the tank, doing around town type of driving. After I refuel, I will calculate the gas mileage and hope it will be good.

I bought a 2006 LE in January. Initial MPG was about 31-32 with 60% city/40% hwy. After 5000 miles, I am currently getting about 33.5 MPG with the same driving conditions. I did some easy modifications though:

1) Filled tires to 34PSI (cold)

2) Removed secondary "air filter" in the cover of the air filter housing (improved throttle response)

3) Switched to 5w30 SuperTech Synthetic with Toyota filter at 4700 miles (1st oil change)

4) Disabled defroster linked A/C

I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic in central NJ to work and drive about 70-75MPH on the highway. I took a trip to Boston in February and I was dissapointed with the 34MPG for 90% highway travel (75-80MPH). My 2002 got roughly the same MPG but the 2006 is WAY better in every aspect. I expect the MPG to rise 1 or 2 miles more in the summer and when the engine fully breaks in. Overall, not bad though!

Ti-Jean

I bought a 2006 LE in January. Initial MPG was about 31-32 with 60% city/40% hwy. After 5000 miles, I am currently getting about 33.5 MPG with the same driving conditions. I did some easy modifications though:

2) Removed secondary "air filter" in the cover of the air filter housing (improved throttle response)

-For #2, I'd be weary to let more dirt in the engine over the long haul. Do you intend to replace the air filter more often to compensate?

-#4, How did you do?

Txs

Filled up on 03/11/06 (tank lasted me twenty days).

I used 10.486 gallons to drive 345.2 miles.

32.9 MPG; 7.1 litres per 100 km

Counting this one my last 15 tanks have averaged above 31 MPG.

From 05/05/05 - 03/11/06.

5,198.7 miles divided by 154.065 gallons.

33.7 MPG.

default_smile

Bikeman982

I have started a new job and now I drive over 100 miles per day. I am trying to stretch the gas so I can get three days of driving back and forth between fill-ups. I will also calculate my mileage to see what highway driving gets.

-For #2, I'd be weary to let more dirt in the engine over the long haul. Do you intend to replace the air filter more often to compensate?

-#4, How did you do?

Txs

#2...I have an air filter on the car. For this car at least, there was another filter (more mesh plastic type) that I removed. I would not run a car without a filter. I just dont see the point in having 2 filters to constrict the airflow into the engine. If I see any noticable issues, I will just reinstall it.

#4... I also did this on my 2002 corolla. I understand that A/C helps clear fog drastically, but there are times I do not want A/C on. Using fresh air keeps the glass cleared nicely without A/C in most conditions. Anyway, I removed the HVAC controls (kind of a pain with the cables for the dampers but not too bad) and took out the plastic levers that engaged the A/C whenever you select defrost. Now, the A/C goes on whenever I press in the button, not by default with defrost. If you need more guidance, feel free to email me. default_smile

Bikeman982

I am trying to compute my gas mileage after traveling the furthest I have ever gone on a tank of gas. Unfortunately my wife filled it up for me and neglected to write down how many gallons she put in the tank. I did get 325.6 miles before it was filled and with a 13.2 gallon tank, that works out to 325.6/13.2=24.7 miles per gallon. It was probably more like 12 gallons and that works out to 325.6/12=27.1 MPG. That is mostly highway miles at about 75-80 MPH for two hours a day.

clarkemode, the mileage will be much better once the summer blend of gas moves into the gas pumps.

I am trying to compute my gas mileage after traveling the furthest I have ever gone on a tank of gas. Unfortunately my wife filled it up for me and neglected to write down how many gallons she put in the tank. I did get 325.6 miles before it was filled and with a 13.2 gallon tank, that works out to 325.6/13.2=24.7 miles per gallon. It was probably more like 12 gallons and that works out to 325.6/12=27.1 MPG. That is mostly highway miles at about 75-80 MPH for two hours a day.

Nooo! This is a common mistake that people make. You never fill up anywhere close to the tank capacity (13.2gal). In a Corolla, the reserve after E and even after the light comes on is about 2.5 gallons!

I would guess that you put in 10.5gal so that works out to 325.6/10.5=31mpg. Big improvement right?

I think a big cause of "my mileage is ****" complaints is that they calculated it wrong! Everyone please calculate your mileage using the actual number of gallons you pumped. You never use the specified 13.2gal anywhere in your calculations!

Bikeman982

Nooo! This is a common mistake that people make. You never fill up anywhere close to the tank capacity (13.2gal). In a Corolla, the reserve after E and even after the light comes on is about 2.5 gallons!

I would guess that you put in 10.5gal so that works out to 325.6/10.5=31mpg. Big improvement right?

I think a big cause of "my mileage is ****" complaints is that they calculated it wrong! Everyone please calculate your mileage using the actual number of gallons you pumped. You never use the specified 13.2gal anywhere in your calculations!

Does that mean you can't fill it up and drive it until empty and it won't be 13.2 Gallons? Doesn't it also burn the reserve portion when you go to totally out?

I got the gas slip from my wife and it turned out to be 10.988 gallons. That works out to 29.6 MPG. Better than I thought. Almost all highway miles usually around 80 MPH for an hour each way.

Does that mean you can't fill it up and drive it until empty and it won't be 13.2 Gallons? Doesn't it also burn the reserve portion when you go to totally out?
Sure you could do that, but then you'll be walking home... default_tongue What I meant was you didn't actually run it dry, therefore the 13.2gal never figures in your mileage calculations. The other point is, there is more reserve than most people think. Up to 2.5gal even after the light comes on.

Bikeman982

Sure you could do that, but then you'll be walking home... default_tongue What I meant was you didn't actually run it dry, therefore the 13.2gal never figures in your mileage calculations. The other point is, there is more reserve than most people think. Up to 2.5gal even after the light comes on.
That is true. I did not run it dry, but I did not know how much further I could have gone, since I was driving past the time that the "Low fuel" light came on. So if I am getting 29.6 miles per gallon and used every drop of the 13.2 gallons in the tank and in the filler neck that would mean 29.6 X 13.2 = 390.72 miles. That seems like it would be a long time before I ran out after the light was on. I usually fill up right after I have gone 300 miles, unless I am trying to see how far I can get on a tank of gas.

People can use 13.2 gallons for the tank if they carry some extra gas in the trunk and drive until they run out. It is not normally done, but it is possible.

I just love my 2001 Corolla 4-speed automatic - I get IMO very good gas mileage, I get between 30-32 mpg city driving - I've had my car almost 5 yrs and have had no problems - last fillup was 32 MPG - LOVE IT!

Bikeman982

I just love my 2001 Corolla 4-speed automatic - I get IMO very good gas mileage, I get between 30-32 mpg city driving - I've had my car almost 5 yrs and have had no problems - last fillup was 32 MPG - LOVE IT!
So how many miles can you get before you fill up and at what mileage does your "Low fuel" light come on?

That mileage is very good, but at 100 miles per day, you would still have to fill up almost as much as me and I get 29.6 MPG.

I just did a test on mine, filled up, set the trip Odom to zero. Drove it 3 days to work, ran it almost to E. Filled it up with 10 gallons, got 323 miles = 32mpg. That's mostly highway at 70/75mph.

Bikeman982

I just did a test on mine, filled up, set the trip Odom to zero. Drove it 3 days to work, ran it almost to E. Filled it up with 10 gallons, got 323 miles = 32mpg. That's mostly highway at 70/75mph.
That's exactly like mine, except I drive closer to 80 MPH and get only 30MPG. If I drove slower - say 70 MPH, it would probably increase to 32 MPG.

Topic List