Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

• 1,424 posts
was going to but im not worrying about it right now since it is garaged for for the winter, i just had to make a trip in it real quick and wasnt to concered,

Do you have to get it smog checked?

Most of our part of the country doesn't require any emissions testing. Of the 88 counties in Ohio, only 7 require emissions testing. They are the counties that make up Cleveland and the surrounding area. Indiana only requires emissions testing in 4 counties, and Illinois only requires it for certain zip codes in 7 or so counties. Kentucky doesn't emissions test at all because the court held that the Kentucky law that required emissions test was not enforceable. Michigan didn't either the last time I lived there in 2001. Pennsylvania requires testing, but they exempt new cars and cars driven less than 5k per year. Their testing isn't always emissions testing though, some counties only require visual inspections to make sure lights and signals work. West Virginia has never had them at all.

So there you go, pollution isn't a big enough problem in our areas to warrant the stringent controls and inspections that you Cali residents are subjected to every so often.

do you think emission testing will start to spread and be common everywhere soon? should we poll and start a new thread?

• 1,424 posts
do you think emission testing will start to spread and be common everywhere soon? should we poll and start a new thread?

No, especially not in the Midwest and the area between the Mississippi River and the east coast states.

Bikeman982

was going to but im not worrying about it right now since it is garaged for for the winter, i just had to make a trip in it real quick and wasnt to concered,

Do you have to get it smog checked?

Most of our part of the country doesn't require any emissions testing. Of the 88 counties in Ohio, only 7 require emissions testing. They are the counties that make up Cleveland and the surrounding area. Indiana only requires emissions testing in 4 counties, and Illinois only requires it for certain zip codes in 7 or so counties. Kentucky doesn't emissions test at all because the court held that the Kentucky law that required emissions test was not enforceable. Michigan didn't either the last time I lived there in 2001. Pennsylvania requires testing, but they exempt new cars and cars driven less than 5k per year. Their testing isn't always emissions testing though, some counties only require visual inspections to make sure lights and signals work. West Virginia has never had them at all.

So there you go, pollution isn't a big enough problem in our areas to warrant the stringent controls and inspections that you Cali residents are subjected to every so often.

Hence, you can remove all the emission components that restrict your airflow in your car.

That results in slightly greater performance (although poor emissions).

ya well cause like all my rx7 i have owned had no emissions and the corolla has had a few taken off

friendly_jacek

Hence, you can remove all the emission components that restrict your airflow in your car.

Last time I checked, tampering with was illegal. It's also inconsiderate for the drivers behing forced to inhale carbon monoxide from your car.

• 1,424 posts

Last time I checked, tampering with was illegal. It's also inconsiderate for the drivers behing forced to inhale carbon monoxide from your car.

Yeah, while there are no tests required, it is illegal to tamper with or remove emissions equipment. My Uncle has had to put his emissions equipment back on his Jeep after being pulled over on the way to a trail several times (the Jeep is for off-road use, but sometimes he has to drive it to the trail). If you're caught without the equipment they issue you a fix it ticket and then you must put it back on or face a steep fine.

Bikeman982

Yeah, while there are no tests required, it is illegal to tamper with or remove emissions equipment. My Uncle has had to put his emissions equipment back on his Jeep after being pulled over on the way to a trail several times (the Jeep is for off-road use, but sometimes he has to drive it to the trail). If you're caught without the equipment they issue you a fix it ticket and then you must put it back on or face a steep fine.

That's true, but there are more people that don't get stopped that have illegal emissions.

29-31MPG in the city & 36-40MPG on the highway on 91 to 93 pump gas. Even with prices the way they are I still use the good stuff! I used regular 89 pump gas and noticed a loss in MPG, about 2-3MPG. Thats in a 95 DX 7A-FE. With 155k+ miles on it.

Bikeman982

29-31MPG in the city & 36-40MPG on the highway on 91 to 93 pump gas. Even with prices the way they are I still use the good stuff! I used regular 89 pump gas and noticed a loss in MPG, about 2-3MPG. Thats in a 95 DX 7A-FE. With 155k+ miles on it.
Does the higher octane gas make that much of a difference and is it worth the added cost?

2002 S manual. I used to get about ~37mpg with mixed 50/50 city and highway driving. On long highway trips, I could see a bit over 40mph if I drive sane with a tail wind. The worst was about 32mpg. Lately, my gas milage has been declining steadily and I don't know why. It might be the weather heating up, my oem tires getting worn down, or combination of the two. I haven't really change my driving habbits so I am at a lost.

I don't know what you guys are doing, how you drive, and where you live, but on my 2002 CE I get 37-38 miles/gallon in the city and it goes up to 41 miles/gallon on a good day out on the highway. I have a manual (would not even buy automatic), have new iridium plugs and impeccable maintenence (I do my own maintenence). I do not go over 70 mile/hours. It does not worth the huge jump in gas. On the highway I always use my own cruise control that I built in the car (made almost an S from a CE on the cheap) and keep all filters, fluids, and passages clean with various treatments. I have owned GM cars before my Toyota (how foolish I was!) and I am amazed how well this car is built. It is an engineering delight compared to any current American make. Oh, and I don't buy dirty 87 octane gasoline. It is a complete mistreatment of a Corolla. I would buy 95 or 98 if it was available in the U.S. and I could pay for it.

Zsolt

i have a 01 corolla s and i get crap for mileage idk y i cant go more than 350 on a take of gas with 87 and like 360 on 93 idk what is wrong with my car i am gettin if im lucky in the high 20s the car has 90k miles on it and the i run it kinda hard going around town and like 70-75 on the highway idk what it is but it makes me mad it only cost like 26 to fill up in stupid ct but it doesnt last. i snip between 3k +4k rpm so idk if someone can help me with some pointers maybe tire idk alignment im not really sure. all i know is the trany had probs when i got it the preivous owner an old person drove it with a broken tany shift cable so once i bought it the place fixed it but it still isnt perfect no matter how i drive it. if someone can help that would be great

Big_Beard

On average my 2003 Corolla CE gets about 550Km per 40L of fuel.

I use Husky Premium Plus fuel which contains about 15% ethanol.

Mainly city driving but not too much stop and go – lots of medium speed highways.

I get slightly less in the winter because of the snow and my X-Ice tires.

Was wondering how good everyones corolla did on gas. So far the farthest I have got on one tank is 420 miles.

I live in Maine and bought a 2003/auto last year. I'm very disappointed with my fuel economy and therefore Toyota. I do 30/70 city/highway and get 29 in the winter and as high as 33 in the summer. And I don't lie about it to make myself feel better. With acetone added I get 32 and 37. I check it at every fill up and have tested my odometer against 100 mile marker segments of highway. I did better with my old POS 1.6L 1994 Sentra at 34/42. Oh well, live and learn. I'm looking into running a higher water jacket temperature (192º-195º) and perhaps building a fuel warmer. I use a scanguage and am convinced I can gain from higher overall temperature. Where did they come off OEMing this thing at 180ºF ???

Bikeman982

Was wondering how good everyones corolla did on gas. So far the farthest I have got on one tank is 420 miles.

I live in Maine and bought a 2003/auto last year. I'm very disappointed with my fuel economy and therefore Toyota. I do 30/70 city/highway and get 29 in the winter and as high as 33 in the summer. And I don't lie about it to make myself feel better. With acetone added I get 32 and 37. I check it at every fill up and have tested my odometer against 100 mile marker segments of highway. I did better with my old POS 1.6L 1994 Sentra at 34/42. Oh well, live and learn. I'm looking into running a higher water jacket temperature (192º-195º) and perhaps building a fuel warmer. I use a scanguage and am convinced I can gain from higher overall temperature. Where did they come off OEMing this thing at 180ºF ???

Did you do research on the car before you bought it, or just expected it to be better than the Nissan?

There are cars that get better gas mileage available, but I think you like the 2003 for other reasons as well.

friendly_jacek

I also have 03 auto and average 27 city (heavy trafic) and 31 hwy (driving loaded at 75-80 mpg). People why boast about 40+ mpg drive manual tranny, empty car and very slow speeds. It's hard to compare MPG as it's driver dependant.

Interesting comment on acetone. I tried in my cars with no result. Sometimes I think acetone fools scanguage to display higher MPG.

My 5-spd. DX got 415 miles from one tank, filled to the neck, driving 60-65 mph on freeway, doing a daily route of about 35 miles round trip and I haven't even driven to the gas light coming on.....yet, little scared too, don't even know if it works.

Did you do research on the car before you bought it, or just expected it to be better than the Nissan?

There are cars that get better gas mileage available, but I think you like the 2003 for other reasons as well.

No, I didn't research it. My Bad. I had previously owned a 1996 Avalon and a 2000 Camry, both V6's, both outstanding vehicles, and I was comfortable buying another Toyota. I just expected more in terms of fuel economy. I'm sure if it was a 1.6L and not a 1.8L I wouldn't be squawking. I have to admit I don't regret the purchase. BTW, the 192º thermostat mentioned above for the Corolla was very hard to find. Struck out at six auto parts retailers. Went to an international parts wholesaler and found a MotoRad for that application. I hope to install it along with a system flush and new coolant next weekend.

I have the 95 AE101 I get about 29 mpg around town. I used to drive a crown victoria 12mpg, im happy with the 29

I also have 03 auto and average 27 city (heavy trafic) and 31 hwy (driving loaded at 75-80 mpg). People why boast about 40+ mpg drive manual tranny, empty car and very slow speeds. It's hard to compare MPG as it's driver dependant.

Interesting comment on acetone. I tried in my cars with no result. Sometimes I think acetone fools scanguage to display higher MPG.

I don't use my ScanGuage to determine mpg. I drive until nearly empty and refuel at a handful of stations, parking on level ground and filling to the neck each time... Miles driven divided by gallons used - very simple. The ScanGuage uses the engine instrumentation to calculate mileage. It's close but not as good as repeated distance/usage. My mileage calculations have nothing to do with the ScanGauge.

Regarding my acetone comment, my mileage is on average 13% better with acetone, carefully added at 3 ounces/10 gallons of 87 octane. Too much gives the same results as not using it at all. And don't waste your money on higher octane, the 2003's 10:1 compression ratio can't utilize it. 87 octane isn't dirty, it just has less octane in it.

Bikeman982

Gas mileage is very related to driving style. Aggressive rabbit style driving will yield worse results than someone who is very conservative on the gas pedal pressure and speed.

Gas mileage is very related to driving style. Aggressive rabbit style driving will yield worse results than someone who is very conservative on the gas pedal pressure and speed.

Absolutely true. Unfortunately there are many who think those two pedals belong on the floor. In addition to driving style, there are many other variables as well. Many of them often get missed.

On another note, I'm replacing my two rear-deck speakers this morning. The stock ones where blown when I bought the car. Shame on Toyota for all the work that will require!

just got my 03' Corolla LE/auto. Been through one tank of gas so far. Always reset trip meter and calculate from fill up. So far for mixed highway/city driving i'm getting about 33 mpg. For my daily commute, I spend about 20 minutes on the interstate going about 80 mph and 40 minutes through city traffic. Empty car and all that jazz. Its hella lot better than the 23 mpg my '93 Camry (V6) was getting.

So gas, anyone have any better overall performance with high octane over 87?

When I'm at home I get about 35mpg mixed on highway and city driving, but when I come to college I get about 22mpg mixed city and highway driving. I have a 99 corolla and I go to college in a town with a lot of hills, I'm not a crazy driver but there is a lot of starting and stopping around here because of all the traffic. Should this make the MPG drop this much?

Could - though I've never got my Corolla lower than 28MPG in just plain city driving. Make sure you check the usual items - make sure the plugs are in good shape, plug wires and coil packs are good, make sure tire pressures are even and correct (I usually run tire pressues around 40-44PSI vs the factory 30-32PSI - usually gives you another 10%-20% better fuel economy), good oil and air filter, clean PCV valve and make sure throttle body is clean, depending on mileage - O2 sensor(s) could be going on you - need to backprobe sensor to figure out if its working correctly.

Topic List