Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

Filled up on 07/09/06. The tank lasted 35 days. I used 10.592 gallons, and drove 354.6 miles for an economy of 33.5 MPG.

I've averaged 31.1 MPG over 748 days.

Now THAT is good fuel economy.default_biggrin Good job there Slugger.

Now THAT is good fuel economy.default_biggrin Good job there Slugger.

Yup didn't think I would get that good economy.

I drove like an ###### to tell you the truth.

default_ph34r

a tank for 35 days. looks like you don't drive much.

a tank for 35 days. looks like you don't drive much.

Work is only 8 miles away.

default_tongue

Bikeman982

I just got over 30.1 MPG on my last tank. That was driving 75 MPH average, mostly highway. I drive 100 miles per day and get gas very three days.

It is not great gas mileage, but it is better than a truck!

I just filled the tank in my recently purchased '00 Corolla VE 5 Speed for the 3rd time.

I'm averaging 37.6 MPG driving most rural 2 lane highways. My first tank yeilded 40.1 MPG, but it was still cool enough that I did not need air conditioning and I might have had a little more highway driving on that tank. The second 2 tanks were 36.5 and 36.3 MPG when I was using AC most of the time and less highway driving. I generally drive a good bit faster than the speed limit, which probably hurts my fuel economy a little, and I bet if I lost some weight I could improve it a little bit too.

36 MPG is what I expected from a manual Corolla, so I am pleased so far with my results.

Bikeman982

I guess I should be happy that I am getting about 30.5 MPG.

I could probably do better if I coasted downhill, but there are no hills on my daily commute!

With a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in my last tank, I finally registered 9.0L/100km (26.1 MPG US) - best tank year to date.

Something is still not right...

I should be seeing 8.0L/100km!

EDIT: This is with the Corolla. D'oh!

Bikeman982

Yesterday I went the furthest on a tank of gas than I have gone before.

I was driving to work and the light did the usual - came on, went out and came on again.

I drove to work and home to my local gas station - 354.9 miles.

I thought I would run out, but made it with about a gallon of gas to spare.

That would be 354.9 miles on 12.2 gallons of gas = 29.1 MPG.

Not too bad for my car, but I am sure could be better with some mods and easier driving.

1998 Toyota Corolla CE

196,000 miles

380.4 mi/10.536gal = 36mpg

Drove 80% highway and 20% surface

I use 10W40 grade oil (recommended by shere goodyear mechanic) and STP oil treatment. Plus, I got my fuel injectors cleaned and improved hp, lower engine tone (with stock exhaust default_tongue ), and kept same fuel economy.

Before I got a new gas tank I went 162.1 miles using 5.979 gallons.

27.1 MPG, bleh.

MPG dropped 6.4 MPG from my last tank which was 33.5 MPG. I knew something was wrong so that's why I didn't go very far on the tank. Turns out my gas tank was leaking. Fuel Economy records definitely helped my decision, but I smelled gas around my car anyways.

Right now I have almost 110 miles on this brand new tank and the gauge reads 1/4th used.

default_biggrin

35mpg on my last road trip. about 6 hours of driving, 2 hours of it was country roads with some stop and go (stop signs, blinker lights, stop lights, deer, turkeys) and the rest of the 4 hours were spent at about 75-80 mph with some passing and jumping on the gas a few times.

Bikeman982

The majority of owners seem to get 35 Miles per gallon - give or take 5 MPG.

I'm still learning to drive stick but I got a horrible 23 or 24mpg on my first fill up but a better 34mpg on the next fill up with mixed highway/city (about 70%/30%)

2004 Corolla LE

I need to learn to not over rev!

Anyone think fuel injector cleaner will help with gas mileage? I'm going to be driving about 200 miles this week for work. Thanks.

Please email me your response at LPRLyons@yahoo.com

First fill up on the new gas tank:

Filled up on: 08/30/06

Used: 9.748 gallons

Went: 318.9 miles

Fuel Economy: 32.7 MPG

Tank lasted me 39 days because of the time it took to install the new tank (couldn't drive the car), and plus the fact that work is only 8 miles away (I only work three days a week so that is 48 miles a week).

default_smile

Bikeman982

Tank lasted me 39 days because of the time it took to install the new tank (couldn't drive the car), and plus the fact that work is only 8 miles away (I only work three days a week so that is 48 miles a week).

default_smile

Same size tank - 13.2 gallons?

default_smile

Same size tank - 13.2 gallons?

Yeah.

Bikeman982

My tank lasts me about 6 days - I do about 64 miles per day.

I get over 350 miles per tankful.

Took a trip to Hopewell Junction, NY to see my aunt. My trip read 66.1 when I left my house and read 223.0 when I arrived in NY. I hit some traffic on I-84 West so the drive took me 2 hours and 54 minutes to travel 156.9 miles so I averaged 54.1 MPH, and my gauge reads over half a tank left.

W00t!

Good chance this tank lasts me 400 miles.

I don't know what I get and don't really care as long as I don't notice anything drastic. I used to have an old '72 Capri with a 10 gallon (CDN) tank that would only go about 100 miles on a tank. That car went through 2 motors with the same mileage. I guess a 4 cylinder 2 liter must have been too much to ask for in those days.

Bikeman982

Took a trip to Hopewell Junction, NY to see my aunt. My trip read 66.1 when I left my house and read 223.0 when I arrived in NY. I hit some traffic on I-84 West so the drive took me 2 hours and 54 minutes to travel 156.9 miles so I averaged 54.1 MPH, and my gauge reads over half a tank left.

W00t!

Did you have a good tailwind? Was it mostly downhill?

W00t!

Did you have a good tailwind? Was it mostly downhill?

I had some nice tailwinds and some big hills that I just coasted down in gear for like 3 - 4 miles without my foot on the gas pedal.

default_biggrin

Hit the fourth of a tank left mark when I had ~ 360 miles on the trip odometer. My trip currently reads 378.8 miles and the gas gauge is on an eighth of a tank left. The needle bounces back and forth from a fourth of a tank left to an eighth to empty so I think I have a decent amount left. I am curious to see how I did in terms of economy because I've NEVER done one tank on ALL highway miles before.

I am excited default_biggrin

Statistics on going home from my aunt's house:

Distance: 155.8 miles

Time of travel: 2 hours and 38 minutes

Average speed: 59.2 MPH

Totals (coming to my aunt's house and going home):

Total distance: 312.7 miles

Total time of travel: 5 hours and 32 minutes (332 minutes)

Average speed: 56.5 MPH

probably around 38mpg

Topic List