Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

ah but when im on E i only put in 9.5-10 gallons so that 3/4 tank is more like 7.5 gal burned or so. i'll get back when i fill up tomorrow and post the numbers on how much i put in to go from 1/4 to full and how many miles it was.

its not doing so bad for city only miles, i run my tires at what gives the best traction, not the best mileage.

Bikeman982

ah but when im on E i only put in 9.5-10 gallons so that 3/4 tank is more like 7.5 gal burned or so. i'll get back when i fill up tomorrow and post the numbers on how much i put in to go from 1/4 to full and how many miles it was.

its not doing so bad for city only miles, i run my tires at what gives the best traction, not the best mileage.

That would be totally different since 233 miles on 7.5 gallons would = 31 MPG. That's not bad at all.

last 3 fillups, I have gotten between 32-35 mpg. my average mileage is 32mpg over the last 3 years.

I'm new here, but have been reading the boards here for a couple years.

I track my fuel mileage in an Excel spreadsheet (I'm an engineer, part of my obsessive-compulsive stuff...LOL)

I have a 2004 Corolla S with a 5 speed. Through 44,293 miles, I'm averaging 32.81 miles per gallon. That's in urban/suburban stop-and-go traffic...metro Atlanta. My trip to work is usually a speed limit ride, but the ride home is often in a traffic jam.

My best for a tank of gas is 40.59 MPG, and that was a highway run, to see my dad, mostly at 75 mph and with the A/C on. Actually, I made 40.06 on the way up, and 40.59 on the way back.

My worst tank of gas was 27.09 mpg.

26.5 MPG with ONLY stop and go city driving and several WOT pulls to 80 (country road, in a hurry), 50, 40, 30 ect. i really had to get the Orings for my AC system so that it could be fixed, it was the last lab day of class.

237.5 miles on 8.94 gallons of fuel

Bikeman982

My gas mileage has improved from 28.5 to 33.0 MPG and the only change is the speed I drove.

When I got 28.5 MPG I was driving 80-85 MPH.

When I got 33.0 MPG I was driving 70-75 MPH.

There were no other significant differences and that is the sole basis for better fuel economy.

• 1,424 posts

I get 35-37 going 80 with AC

I get 38-39 going 65 with no AC

I see no real gain in driving 65 with no AC.

I drive a 2005 LE Auto with cruise, though I never use the cruise control.

Try 55 with no AC... If you survive you should see MPG improvement!

My guess you wont survive to caculate the mpg....

Bikeman982

The speed limit around here is 65 and if you do that speed you are a road obstruction. The majority of traffic is doing 70 - 75.

The speed limit around here is 65 and if you do that speed yo are a road obstruction. The majority of traffic is doing 70 - 75.
so bike, did you ever see an improvement going 65 on the freeway or did you resort back to 95mph? I get 36-38 mpg highway. 98 corolla 192k miles

Bikeman982

The speed limit around here is 65 and if you do that speed yo are a road obstruction. The majority of traffic is doing 70 - 75.

so bike, did you ever see an improvement going 65 on the freeway or did you resort back to 95mph? I get 36-38 mpg highway. 98 corolla 192k miles

If you've seen some of my other posts the story is this; at 80 - 85 I get 28.5 MPG.

At 70 - 75 MPH I get 33.0 MPG. That's the facts - speed is the only difference.

I would probably get better at 60-65 MPH, but that would put me in danger of angry drivers because I would be driving too slow.

Is it worth it? I kind of like to drive fast, but an extra 52 miles per tankful can add up to some good numbers.

• 1,424 posts

If you've seen some of my other posts the story is this; at 80 - 85 I get 28.5 MPG.

I would probably get better at 60-65 MPH, but that would put me in danger of angry drivers because I would be driving too slow.

Is it worth it? I kind of like to drive fast, but an extra 52 miles per tankful can add up to some good numbers.

Your mileage is a testament to the Corolla's efficency Bikeman. If a 1994 Corolla can get 33 MPG going 70-75 MPH, then I'm not as impressed with my 2005 getting 35 MPG at 80 MPH as I was. The small increase in MPG doesn't give you owners of 7th and 8th generation Corollas much of a reason to upgrade from an efficiency standpoint.

My 98 1.8L gets ~30MPG street/Hwy on 87oct.

Last tank, I used 89oct. It went 360 miles! A bit more Hwy driving, but not much! The 98 has O/D. 97 didn't.

On my 97, I would consistantly only get 25-27MPG with a 1.6L ! default_blink

I tried the ol' .4% acetone for a few tanks on the 97 and got it up to 29MPG, but quit doing that..it was a hassle and the acetone is just a pain.

Bigger engine..bigger Corolla...better MPG?! Suites me fine.

Bikeman982

Your mileage is a testament to the Corolla's efficency Bikeman. If a 1994 Corolla can get 33 MPG going 70-75 MPH, then I'm not as impressed with my 2005 getting 35 MPG at 80 MPH as I was. The small increase in MPG doesn't give you owners of 7th and 8th generation Corollas much of a reason to upgrade from an efficiency standpoint.

It surprises me that the newer Corollas are not more fuel efficient. Add up the cost of a new car and the lack of better fuel efficiency and there is no incentive to upgrade to a newer model!

friendly_jacek

It surprises me that the newer Corollas are not more fuel efficient. Add up the cost of a new car and the lack of better fuel efficiency and there is no incentive to upgrade to a newer model!

You guys are smoking something.

The new generation corolla is the size of accord from mid 90's and camry from early 90's. It has a bigger engine and much improved driving comfort. The trunk is hudge, bigger than some mid-sized cars.

• 1,424 posts
You guys are smoking something.The new generation corolla is the size of accord from mid 90's and camry from early 90's. It has a bigger engine and much improved driving comfort. The trunk is hudge, bigger than some mid-sized cars.

I'm not smoking anything. I realize that a 2005 Corolla is as big as a 1995 Camry. I realize that my 2005 has a bigger engine and improved driving comfort and an huge trunk when compared to previous models. What I was simply saying was that from a MPG standpoint, not taking anything else into consideration, it doesn't make sense to have to pay a payment on a new car to gain the 1 or 2 MPG my car gets over Bikeman's payed for car.

uhm the corolla has had a 1.8L engine available since 1993, so its not bigger.

Or if you want to get really nitty gritty default_biggrin

7AFE - Bore 81.0mm, Stroke 85.5mm ~ 1762cc displacement

1ZZFE - Bore 79.0mm, Stroke 91.5mm ~ 1794cc displacement

So it "is" slightly bigger.

Non the less - I agree with the size. My Corolla is almost the same size as the 3rd gen Camry, interior wise - trunk, the Camry is bigger.

Bikeman982

My Corollas were bought on e-Bay and that has been cheap enough for me to afford. I have no warranties and do 99% of the work myself.

I get pretty good gas mileage and the cars are very reliable.

I like the style of the 7th generation and don't like the way newer Corollas look. Someday I may change my mind about that.

fish, despite that small increase in size, i'd be willing to run my 93 auto against a 1zzfe corolla on a dyno or the 1320 anyday default_tongue

tune and untuned i'd be willing to run. i do beleive i have a nice tq line going on default_smile i may not make as much peak power as the 1zzfe, but i beleive i have a better powerband, less peaky.

I think the99contour is correct... It doesn't make sense to drop a vehicle and purchase a new one just for the MPG…

Especially the hybrids… People get all caught up in the MPG numbers… You would NEVER make back the cost of the vehicle in MPG savings…

People need to look at the total cost of ownership… Most people buy a vehicle based on a variety of needs… Its true you spend more time selecting your next vehicle then your spouse…

friendly_jacek

I think the99contour is correct... It doesn't make sense to drop a vehicle and purchase a new one just for the MPG…

Especially the hybrids… People get all caught up in the MPG numbers… You would NEVER make back the cost of the vehicle in MPG savings…

People need to look at the total cost of ownership… Most people buy a vehicle based on a variety of needs… Its true you spend more time selecting your next vehicle then your spouse…

I totally agree with the above.

But I will refuse to agree to compare '93 corolla to '05 corolla in terms of MPG.

Apples to oranges.

I bought my used '00 VE specifically to get a reliable, fuel efficient car. I've only had it a month and have only filled the tank twice and am averaging about 38 MPG. This compares to my 99 Ranger 4WD that averaged about 18.5 MPG. I figure I will save about $1200 per year in gas alone, plus I sold my Ranger for more than I paid for the Corolla and the Corolla has 28K fewer miles on it.

Bikeman982

I can understand why you would want to change your vehicle from American made to a Corolla. Better quality, more dependability and reliability. Good on gas and nice to drive. Sell your car and get as much as you can for it, then buy a used Corolla for about the same price.

• 1,424 posts
I can understand why you would want to change your vehicle from American made to a Corolla. Better quality, more dependability and reliability. Good on gas and nice to drive. Sell your car and get as much as you can for it, then buy a used Corolla for about the same price.

Actually Bikeman, a Ranger isn't a Fix Or Repair Daily Ford. I'm fair when it comes to cars, and a Ford Ranger is actually highly competitive to a Toyota Tacoma in terms of features, price and reliability. The Ranger is an excellent truck, and I'd actually buy the Ford over the Toyota. They pratically give Rangers away nowadays.

However, I would not keep a Ranger if I need a fuel efficient vehicle, because for all the things it is, that it is not.

Topic List