Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
corollamike

My Conversation With Toyota Hq

Last evening, at approximately 7:30pm EST, after a one-and-a-half-hour wait on hold with Toyota USA Customer Service, I spoke with a representative concerning the accelerator pedal shim fix on my '09 Corolla.

In a nutshell, I was informed that it was imperative I have the shim installed in my Corolla's accelerator pedal module. If I am unsatisfied with the performance of the pedal in any way whatsoever, I may call Toyota HQ again, explain my dissatisfaction, and receive the newly-revamped CTS-made pedal module at no cost to me. I was guaranteed the new pedal, which has a single-groove friction mechanism, and higher-grade plastics.

I specifically asked if this was a guarantee. I was told it was.

They would not give me the part number of the new pedal module. I was told they were "unable" to give me the number.

Now, look at this video from an ABC News investigation, aired 22Feb10: http://abcnews.go.co...ar-flaw-9916379

Have a look at this awful situation: http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=9903455. I cannot imagine how the fellow involved is able to retain his sanity.

Ladies and gentlemen, discern what you will, and Godspeed, everyone.

Edited by corollamike

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Good info - thanks for posting on the forum. Kind of makes you wonder why they just don't replace the pedal outright instead of the preschool hackjob fix (I take that back, preschooler's will probably do a better job on trimming that pedal). That way it is a one time trip and not a multiple trip fix. I guess they have their reasons, some dealerships feel for the end customer and may offer more assistence than Toyota Corp - might be worth a call to the local dealership and see what they can do.

Good info - thanks for posting on the forum. Kind of makes you wonder why they just don't replace the pedal outright instead of the preschool hackjob fix (I take that back, preschooler's will probably do a better job on trimming that pedal). That way it is a one time trip and not a multiple trip fix. I guess they have their reasons, some dealerships feel for the end customer and may offer more assistence than Toyota Corp - might be worth a call to the local dealership and see what they can do.

My experience with the dealer has been one of slight frustration: while I know they are busting their keesters with the recalls, they simply fail to engage my queries with enthusiasm. Adding to my tempered angst is a feeling that they have little or no ability to act on their own, meaning, that they don't move until given the go-ahead from Japan.

I'm scheduled to have the shim installed this coming Monday. After reading other posts and opinions, here and elsewhere, it may be a good idea to inquire first whether or not they plan to trim my accelerator pedal as well. If so, I will insist they not trim it, and only add the shim. If they insist on trimming it, then the shim they planned for me will remain in its bin at their shop, and I will cancel my appointment.

I've posted my feelings in many places over the last few weeks. I was hopeful at first, then confused, then angry -- but now, I'm mostly disgusted with the whole affair. I've a mind to go to my salesman, ask him to let me have a peek at the new pedal in a new Corolla, and get the numbers from it. How I will accomplish this without looking too suspicious -- and in turn, getting my salesman in trouble -- will have to be worked out.

I want the new pedal!!! Who wouldn't?

Edited by corollamike