Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lshafter

Unibody Damage

Guest lshafter

I had a 2005 Corolla that was "t-boned" in June of 2005. The repair was about 9,000.00. And the autobody shop said it was as good as new. I'm not a mechanic and "automotively challenged."

Over the years car drove ok, but seemed to use more than it's share of front tires. Today December 2009, I took it in for a front end allingment. They asked me if the car had ever been in an accident?

They said I should take it in to have the frame (unibody) straightened. Other than the obvious, it is a great car and I don't want to get rid of it. My questions are:

1) Would this work and how much would it cost?

2) Would the original body shop be liabile for any warranty work or at least a discounted price?

Any advice or persons having similar experience. I'd love to here from you. Thank

Here's a link to the copy of the alignment report for any experts out there. I have no idea what it all means:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/pantsfiddler/alignmentrpt.jpg

Edited by lshafter

Cost would depend on the extent of the damage. As for the unit body damage - that should have been addressed by the first shop. But past experience has shown me that they never get the frame quite where it needs to be. Many times, you can get the frame pulled to within spec, but over time it will eventually drift off.

This could affect the shop's liability, unless you have some sort of guarantee on workmanship from the shop, you are pretty much SOL. Couldn't hurt to ask the shop that did the initial work. Ask them for paperwork on your car, exactly what was done - see if there is any mention of unitbody straightening.

The spec you have for the alignment shows that the car is way off alignment - probably much more than can be addressed with the available adjustment within the car. We have a Matrix that was hit in the front by an SUV, our numbers look very similar to yours, over the past several months - still have not been able to get the car back in line - damage was in the $8K range.

Best course would be to take the printout to the first shop and reciepts for all the tires you've gone through and see what they say - if they try and brush you off, contact the insurance company that paid for the work and see what they have to say. Almost every shop has some type of warranty work - many offer lifetime warranty on body work. A car will not get frame damage from normal driving conditions, even decently sized potholes will not damage the frame. See if they will put the car on a chassis jig and measure the chassis specs, if they are grossly out of spec - that would point to poor workmanship on the bodyshop's part. All shops live and die by their reputation, if they won't budge, contact the BBB and the insurance company to complain.

Guest lshafter

Hey Fish! Thanks so much for your reply! It was really helpful. I did exactly as you said and the Autobody shop was totally helpful and upfront about everything. It's a family biz here in Decatur called Newells Autobody and they got everything straightened out. It's good to know there are people like you out there and its good to know there are companies like Newells out there. Thanks again.