Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Sokudo

98 Recall

I'm the third owner of my 98 Corolla (the first owner bought it from the lot, the second one bought it from a yard and I bought it a few months later), and I saw this recall from one of the other posts: http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/ca...caa/toyota.html How would I go about finding out if I need to have this problem fixed? I don't know if the previous owners knew about it.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

The title would list the original owner - for a recall, the manufacturer would contact them - if you have their contact info, possible they will tell you (long shot). Without that information - you'd have to find a sympathetic dealership that is willing to run the VIN number and see if the recall applies to the car in question. You have some info to go on - you know the build dates of the potentially affected vehicles. Your build date would be on a sticker on the side of the engine (serpentine belt side). EVAP system (vapor canister) also have a manufacture date stamped on the plastic - you would need to get under the car (under the rear seats, infront of the gas tank - look for the large plastic box). Find out if the car applies and go from there - no sense getting worked up for nothing, if your car was manufactured after the specified dates on the EPA site.

Better late than never, but I'm posting to say that I did get the problem fixed, and it was under the warranty. :lol: It wasn't the canister that tripped the CEL; it was a valve cover that was sticking. I'm wondering now though if I shouldn't go back and ask them to just replace the canister as the recall states.