Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bitter

Thinking About Getting One Of These...

Nice progress! Did you get a chance to unmount to tire and take a peek on the inside. I had one tire act out of round, lots of vibration, couldn't get it balanced, etc. - ended up being some water on the inside of the tire.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Bought some goodies
Amazon.com: PIE TOY-AUX2 Toyota - AUX / RCA Input to Factory Radio: Car Electronics
Nothing fancy, just lets me drop audio into the CD changer port. The factory radio uses some kind of special signalling, you can't just drop raw audio into the CD changer audio input. I'm not sure if it's digital or just looking for special turn on signal or what. Press the CD button twice or press and hold to turn the aux-in on. No more stacks of CD's rolling around the car!

Amazon.com: iSimple IS335 Dash Mountable Auxiliary Input Adapter: Car Electronics
Reviews say the aux port doesn't like to stay in the dash, I can just trim the plastic and run a nut up it to make sure it stays wherever I mount it. No random cords snaking from behind my dash! I should do the same in the Mazda, I'll see how it works on the Celica first.

Looks decent - thanks for sharing the links, been looking for reasonally priced TOY-AUX adapters.

Yep, a long time ago I found some ebay store that did a core exchange for a factory radio with an aux-in on the face. They're gone, so this and panel mount is the next best thing.

ce66f027-b1fd-4eee-b1a8-c136a998b8bf_zps

Final ride height is set! I brought the rear up by 1/2 inch to get about 24.5 inches from ground to top of the wheel arch. I didn't realize how much I dropped it until I looked at some old pictures.

3.2 lbs and 410CCA !! That is astounding. Let us know how that battery holds up - charge, starting power, etc. Very interesting in something like that.

It's been holding up fine so far for DD this spring, I did buy a special charger that can float it while I'm gone though.

Lithium battery has been float charging all winter on a CC/CV circuit at 350ma @13.5 volts, I'll see how it holds up through this next year but I expect it to be fine.

I've updated the rear of the car to full LED bulbs from Philips, I'm very very pleased with how these bulbs look and function, as good as the stock filamennt bulbs but faster on/off, with a fraction of the power consumption, and an incredidble life span. The turn signal bulbs I had to source from Japan and they're actually MUCH brighter than stock. The reverse bulbs are nice white light and as bright as stock but focus in the housing for a longer throw. The brake/tail light bulbs cast light the same as the stock bulbs but with the instant on/off of LED. Overall the Philips line of LED bulbs work well in my Celica and I'm very happy with them.

Good to know! Been wanting to swap over to LEDs on the Corolla - all my other current DD have LEDs in the rear. Will have to wait until the Corolla thaws out - didn't move any of the snow on it this winter - looks more like a big pile of snow than a car. Actually surprised one of the neighbor kids, as the car is now starting to peek through the snow/ice, they didn't realize a car was under there.

I drove it a couple days, battery seemed fine. Celica brakes never seem to rust sitting, so a quick drive around and the brakes were back to normal once what little surface rust there was rubbed off. Rotors even looked clean before I drove. Had a blast driving it around, but going from 50W of HID in the winter car to very bright halogen in the Celica was a little off putting. Theyr'e still very good halogen but just not as bright. That may push me to get OEM HID more than I had wanted to before. Steep price tag but stunning results, just not sure I want to drop $1000 on headlights. I can supply the bulbs and already have a pair of Denso slim ballasts to cut costs some but the housings are still very expensive even used.

Yeah, $1K is pretty steep for housings, especially if you can retrofit a suitable projector in there and get very close to the same results - even if you factor in the time is money offset.

Still - hard to beat the light output of HIDs. Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to score some from a group buy or personal sale.

Sadly the projector is cast into a big bracket that holds the high beam bowl so it's impossible to just swap in another projector to the halogen housings in the low beam spot. Potentially you could install one in the high beam bowl (bixenon) and repurpose the low beam to some other function (grind out the shield and make a turn signal or extra high beam light or something). I may do that later to sell but I think it would look too ugly to put on my own car.

Weather has been too poopy lately to drive it again, so it's parked till things warm up and the salt gets washed off. Maybe in a couple weeks I can drive it more again.

Bought OEM HID for $800, complete.

Bought head light protector films from Amazon for $5.77 for the Xpel, long story but bought 2 sets and only one had all the stuff in the package, they sent me another free and it's still missing stuff so I just let that battle go and now have 3 sets of head light and one set of fog.

Bought Night Breaker Unlimited D2S bulbs from TRS, best D2S you can buy.

Bought new 9011 high beam bulbs.

Bought new yellow fog bulbs for $4 each, dichroic yellow glass.

Bought a new OEM passenger side mount, wow what a difference!

Bought Denso Twin Tip Iridium spark plugs, wow what a difference!

Need to:

Detail for what's left of summer.

Install the OEM HID stuff:
Need to install the custom LED turns in the OEM HID lights.

Look at the drivers front caliper, seems to be the last original brake caliper on the car and it seems to be working less than the other side.

Go through and clean/lube all the brake parts.

Add camber to the front.

Replace a slightly bent wheel.