Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
davidkozisek

Driveshaft Bolt

In my 2005 corolla maintenance manual it suggests tightening the driveshaft bolt every couple of oil change intervals. When I asked my mechanic about this, he said that front wheel drive toyotas don't have the drive shaft bolts, and that it was likely for the AWD matrix. Is he correct? I ask is because I'm hearing a strange sound usually in low rpms in both first and second gears when the engine is under load. I'm wondering if it's this bolt, or my cat, or a lose heat shield or something. please help!

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Something that was a carryover from previous manuals/maintenance schedules - most likely left in there as a CYA measure. Also lots of misunderstanding/misinformation out there - some of which is perpetuated by Toyota dealerships and technicians. I have yet to run into any tech that has routinely checked these "bolts" on every service they have done - as most of the time, it is a non-issue (i.e, they never come loose).

You mechanic is correct - this was something leftover and applies to the AWD versions of Corollas and Matrix - they refer to the flange bolts that can sometimes back-off in certain situations. There are some bolts on the two piece driveaxles - depending on the generation of Corolla - but those almost never back out.

You might also run into some info online about the CV axle nuts are what the maintenance service is talking about - probably true as well. But I'm pretty sure those nuts are crimped/staked onto the axle end. They will not come loose on their own, you have to be are trying to remove them to loosen them at all. Older Corollas have a cotter pin and castle nut setup - those may have a chance to loosen, especially if the pin is missing or sloppy.

I would look at other potential sources for the sound you hear. If it only happens under load - there is a good chance it might be belt tensioner related. Some make noise at idle only, some only manifest under a heavy load. Those can sound like a low growl or thumping. Heatshield, loose exhaust piping, loose swaybars / endlinks, axles, mounts, loose struts, etc. are also other common items that might introduce noises under chassis loading.