Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
ptlamb

Catalyst Efficiency Low

Guest soparky
I have a 2003 corolla ,140,000mi, at 123000 check engine light came on and went off after a few hundred miles.( I was on A long trip)Thought it was a dealer plug. it came on again right after 130.000( 2 weeks after inspection,New Jersey,strict emissions testing) 1st mechanic said replace cat, 2nd said clear it out see what happens.now at 139000 it came on again,cleared it out 7 days ago, came on again. I detect a sluggishness in cars accelaration. code was PO#420 catalyst efficiency low bank #1..Any suggestions about approaching this problem?

What was the outcome/solution? I have an 03 with about the same mileage. CEL has come on three times within the past 3 months. I cleared it the second time and replaced the gas cap, but no help there. Dealer said cat was bad for a $95 diagnosis. $1200 estimate on new cat and gaskets from dealer.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

I have a 2003 corolla ,140,000mi, at 123000 check engine light came on and went off after a few hundred miles.( I was on A long trip)Thought it was a dealer plug. it came on again right after 130.000( 2 weeks after inspection,New Jersey,strict emissions testing) 1st mechanic said replace cat, 2nd said clear it out see what happens.now at 139000 it came on again,cleared it out 7 days ago, came on again. I detect a sluggishness in cars accelaration. code was PO#420 catalyst efficiency low bank #1..Any suggestions about approaching this problem?

What was the outcome/solution? I have an 03 with about the same mileage. CEL has come on three times within the past 3 months. I cleared it the second time and replaced the gas cap, but no help there. Dealer said cat was bad for a $95 diagnosis. $1200 estimate on new cat and gaskets from dealer.

Seems to be a common fault.

Usually O2 sensor change or catalytic converter.

Edited by Bikeman982

Its been awhile. Im at 89k now and I havent been able to get around to changing the o2 sensors yet. The cat converter shouldnt be clogged and the o2 sensors shouldnt be bad if the cel isnt on should they? Its about time to change the o2 sensors anyway so Im wondering are they easy to replace to where I can just clip them on or do I have to cut wires to attach them? Im still getting around 26-28mpg with the occassional 30mpg but I used to consistently get 33mpg year round so I hope replacing the o2 sensors will do the trick so I dont have to mess with the cat converter.

Its been awhile. Im at 89k now and I havent been able to get around to changing the o2 sensors yet. The cat converter shouldnt be clogged and the o2 sensors shouldnt be bad if the cel isnt on should they? Its about time to change the o2 sensors anyway so Im wondering are they easy to replace to where I can just clip them on or do I have to cut wires to attach them? Im still getting around 26-28mpg with the occassional 30mpg but I used to consistently get 33mpg year round so I hope replacing the o2 sensors will do the trick so I dont have to mess with the cat converter.

The sensors are usually a plug-in connector and bolted into the exhaust (with a gasket between).

No wire cutting/splicing should be necessary.

Ok thanks. You have any idea what the torque should be when tightening the new o2 or is the exhaust sturdy enough to where I dont have to worry about it?

Should say on the sensor box, when you get it - ones that I have do not list a torque figure but tell you something like giving it an additional 1/16 to 1/8 turn after making contact with the sensor flange.

Also, if you stick with OEM sensors and not the universal type - then they would be a straight plug in affair. If you pick up a universal O2 sensor (ie. cheaper one) then you have to canniblize the old connectors, as the new universal one will only have bare leads.

Make sure you hose them down with some decent penetrating lube - like PB Blaster or similar. They do make special O2 sensor tools, but you should be able to get at the upstream one if you have some u-joints and a couple of long extensions (two bolts hold this one down). The downstream one is screwed directly into the exhaust bung - should be able to get an open wrench on it. Both connectors are on the front passenger floor. Upstream one is almost under the dash, by the center dash stack. The downstream sensor is right by the seat it self. Might be easier to pull the seat out to give yourself some room - or you can just peel back the carpet to get at the connectors.

Ok thanks for telling me. If my body lets me I'll try it but with the problems Ive been having I may need to let the dealer replace them this go around. Appreciate the help guys.

Finally found this thread after 10+ pages of searching using different terms.

Who sells the special tool I'll need to change the front o2? Do any parts stores rent or lend them?

This is a little off topic, but...

Did you search with Google or similar search engine or did you use the Search feature on this forum? I noticed that the search capability of this bulletin board system software is usually not as good as Google's. I usually search this forum using Google by typing in "Corolland" followed by some search terms. For example, type in "corolland catalyst efficiency" and this thread will appear at the top of the Google list.

Did you search with Google or similar search engine or did you use the Search feature on this forum? I noticed that the search capability of this bulletin board system software is usually not as good as Google's. I usually search this forum using Google by typing in "Corolland" followed by some search terms. For example, type in "corolland catalyst efficiency" and this thread will appear at the top of the Google list.

Very good search tip.

Very good search tip.

Google will return Corolland posts.

To change the front O2 sensor you need the oxygen sensor socket. Follow first link below to see an example.

http://www.maxserv1.net/O2Socket.jpg

Fold the oxygen sensor wire down over sensor and then slide the socket over the sensor. The wire will go through the cutaway. The socket in the picture is kind of large and may have clearance issues. So, you may have to use a shorter socket. The second link below will take you to a nice three piece set being sold at Amazon for just $17. It should be able to handle most scenarios.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062ZK5M?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn

If the link does not work for some reason, search Amazon for "OEM 27110 Oxygen Sensor Socket."

I think you'll need to use a 3/8" ratchet for this.

The installation should go something like this (instructions for 99 Civic from Toyotanation):

"Disconnect negative battery terminal, unplug the sensor, loosen sensor with socket, install the new one (add some anti-seize on threads), tightening sensor with socket, plug back in, zip tie wires so they don't rest on header, reattach negative terminal. Make sure you get an OEM sensor so you can use the factory plugins."

Edited by Maxim Schwartz

Yah I just got both oem sensors today. Looks like I could possibily use a open end wrench on the front but that would probably be harder. Either way it sure looks easy to get burned reaching down there. Maybe I could rent the tool from autozone or someplace and get my money back afterwards to where I wouldnt have to buy the tool? Will disconnecting the neg terminal clear the cel or will I have to get autozone to clear it with their scanner?

Thanks for your help max.