Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
IrisMG

How Does One Buy A Car On Ebay Motors? (oklahoma)

I noticed one of the forum posters mentioned they buy cars from eBay. I'd like to know how this is done. How do you make sure the seller's on the up-and-up, how do you buy it sight unseen other than a photo, and most importantly, how do you pick it up or have it delivered to you?

If anyone has done this, were you satisfied with the process and with the purchase? Did you get hassle from the bank when they learned what you were buying and how?

Thanks in advance.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

I noticed one of the forum posters mentioned they buy cars from eBay. I'd like to know how this is done. How do you make sure the seller's on the up-and-up, how do you buy it sight unseen other than a photo, and most importantly, how do you pick it up or have it delivered to you?

If anyone has done this, were you satisfied with the process and with the purchase? Did you get hassle from the bank when they learned what you were buying and how?

Thanks in advance.

I have bought 6 (six) cars from e-Bay and have either fixed and sold them, or am driving them (or someone in my family is). The one my daughter drove was crashed on the 15th.

I live in California and the car I am driving came from Oklahoma.

I have purchased cars from Florida, New Jersey, New York, Nevada, and Arizona.

I usually read the descriptions carefully, look closely at the photos, and expect the worst.

I have both picked them up and had them picked up and delivered.

I have a motorhome and a Kar Kaddy (trailer) that I can pick up cars with.

You can also use the internet to have auto transporters compete for your business.

I have received 60 quotes for a car to be moved and have used the quotes as a bargaining tool.

I never used a bank (I pay cash - or the equivalent) to pay for the cars.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Edited by Bikeman982

Thanks in advance.

I have bought 6 (six) cars from e-Bay and have either fixed and sold them, or am driving them (or someone in my family is). The one my daughter drove was crashed on the 15th.

I usually read the descriptions carefully, look closely at the photos, and expect the worst.

You can also use the internet to have auto transporters compete for your business.

I have received 60 quotes for a car to be moved and have used the quotes as a bargaining tool.

Wow, then you're an old hand at this! With that car ferry, you come to the auction ready to play! Between that and knowing how to fix them, you have little to fear from eBay. Sorry about your daughter's car, btw. Hope she's relatively OK. [Although, speaking from experience, one never feels the effects of even a minor collision until the day AFTER! In which case, muscle relaxers are GOOD.]

Anyway, I've read about the guy in Alabama who picks you up at the airport, puts you up in a motel and feeds you breakfast if you had the winning bid on one of his cars, but to be sure not everybody's like him. This guy even lets you back out of the deal if you inspect the car and don't want it, but the article says few sellers even do this much.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/selling/arti...86/article.html

Did you ever trade with your seller, Bikeman? Or did you have to turn around and sell any of YOUR cars via eBay? Also, do the transporters drop the car off at your door, or do you have to go to a "depot" of some kind to get your shipment?

Thanks in advance.

Wow, then you're an old hand at this! With that car ferry, you come to the auction ready to play! Between that and knowing how to fix them, you have little to fear from eBay. Sorry about your daughter's car, btw. Hope she's relatively OK. [Although, speaking from experience, one never feels the effects of even a minor collision until the day AFTER! In which case, muscle relaxers are GOOD.]

Anyway, I've read about the guy in Alabama who picks you up at the airport, puts you up in a motel and feeds you breakfast if you had the winning bid on one of his cars, but to be sure not everybody's like him. This guy even lets you back out of the deal if you inspect the car and don't want it, but the article says few sellers even do this much.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/selling/arti...86/article.html

Did you ever trade with your seller, Bikeman? Or did you have to turn around and sell any of YOUR cars via eBay? Also, do the transporters drop the car off at your door, or do you have to go to a "depot" of some kind to get your shipment?

Most people won't do much for you, but some will help.

I have never traded anyone. I did sell two cars on e-Bay (my 6th generation Corollas).

The transporters delivered the cars right to my driveway.

It would have been cheaper to have them drop it off at a depot, but I did not want to have to go get them there.

I used the internet to locate autotransporters and tried to get them to bid against each other for the best deal.

I purchased two cars when I was working out of state and made all the arrangements by phone (and FAX).

They took a while to get delivered and I was there to meet them at my door.

I don't have any qualms about buying a car from e-Bay, but I don't test drive them or even worry about financing.

I think it would be great if they picked me up at an airport and I could drive the car home - I love road trips.

Most of the cars I get need work and that's part of why I get them cheap.

I can fix them and then use or sell them.

You can also find a more local car by using www.craigslist.com, but they cost more.

Two cars I purchased I drove my RV with my Kar Kaddy and picked up.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

P.S. Good article about buying from e-Bay. Some deals are better than others.

Beware of scammers and snipers.

Scammers take your money, but do not really have a car (or whatever) to sell.

Snipers outbid you (maybe using a computer program) at the last few seconds of the auction.

Edited by Bikeman982

I have just purchased a newer car on e-Bay for my wife and will be going to pick it up on Tuesday.

The owner waived the $500 deposit and will take bank check, cashier's check, or cash.

I plan to bring him cash and won't need to finance. I plan on driving the car home.

I was the highest bidder and e-mailed the seller after the auction was over.

I also sold a motorcycle on craigslist last week. It is not hard to do.

I ahve the wife's new car fom e-bay in my garage - paid for with a bank check.

It was delivered to my house today.

I also have another project car I have started working on from craigslist.

My wife's old Corolla goes up for sale soon.