Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest irvine555

Catalytic Converter

I think generics are also smaller.

They perform just as well as stock and are good if you are going to sell your car and want it to pass a smog test.

I bought a generic cat for my 1992 and also for my 1995.

I sold the 1992 and my daughter eventually replaced the 1995 with a stock one.

Why do you keep calling them generics? Call up some place that sells Magnaflow/Catco cats and ask for generics? Let me know how it goes.

We call them generics because you can get an off-name brand from parts places.

The OEM are designed and made for model specific and are sold by dealerships.

The generics are any brand other than the make of your car or it's cat makers name.

It is not a derogatory term, just a grouping of alternative components.

Magnaflow/Catco brands are not on stock cars and are not available from auto dealerships.

That does not mean that they are inferior or not good - just otherwise available and fit into "generic" category.

So, are you saying that anything but a Toyota part is generic?

That's what I am saying - not that it is a bad thing.

Non factory parts are after market parts. This thread is the only time I have ever heard something after market referred to as generic. It's rather confusing. You might want to just use the term after market. That is standard.

Generics are usually food or drugs. Car stuff is after market, or a replica, OE/OEM or old new.

trap

They perform just as well as stock and are good if you are going to sell your car and want it to pass a smog test.

Why do you keep calling them generics? Call up some place that sells Magnaflow/Catco cats and ask for generics? Let me know how it goes.

The generics are any brand other than the make of your car or it's cat makers name.

Magnaflow/Catco brands are not on stock cars and are not available from auto dealerships.

That does not mean that they are inferior or not good - just otherwise available and fit into "generic" category.

Non factory parts are after market parts. This thread is the only time I have ever heard something after market referred to as generic. It's rather confusing. You might want to just use the term after market. That is standard.

Generics are usually food or drugs. Car stuff is after market, or a replica, OE/OEM or old new.

Then they are synonymous - generic = after market.

Says you. Are you trying to be a pain in the butt? No one says they are going to order some generic parts for the car. Period!

Says you. Are you trying to be a pain in the butt? No one says they are going to order some generic parts for the car. Period!

No - usually they mention the brand - some generic brand.

Bikeman, do you have a personal problem with me? You sure are going out of your way to make pointless post, and if you go back and reread what your wrote, you are going back on your own terms of generic.

What is your malfunction?

Bikeman, do you have a personal problem with me? You sure are going out of your way to make pointless post, and if you go back and reread what your wrote, you are going back on your own terms of generic.

What is your malfunction?

I have not changed a thing - anything not from the factory, whether aftermarket or some other brand is "generic".

That does not mean they are not just as good, only different.