Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
beyondx4

8th Gen - Replacing Cracked Manifold

:unsure: I finally bought the instrument cluster with tach for my 1998 Corolla (supposedly came from 1998 auto). Hopefully there won't be any compatibility problems when it arrives.

Anyways, my next issue to deal with is a cracked exhaust manifold. There's a weird rattling/leaking sound coming from somewhere under the engine at higher RPMS when shifting. I'll have to go down there to do some more diagnosing work before purchasing anything; however, I have very little experience on engine/exhaust work. I hope no special tools are required. If you've got some experience on exhaust replacement, I'd appreciate any tips you can give me on this topic. Thank you.

-Dennis

Edited by beyondx4

If you know for sure it is defintely a cracked exhaust manifold - then you probably need some flex extentions and pretty of penetrating solvent. Fortunantely, you should not have to worry about the upstream O2 sensor - as it installed on the front pipe and not on the manifold. Probably the toughest part is getting to the mainfold and heatshield - as these are clost to the firewall. Not much room to work around. Some may have some better luck putting the car on a lift and coming at it from underneath. You could do it at home, but would have to find a way to securely fix the car, ie. multiple jackstands, extra set of hands.

If you know for sure it is defintely a cracked exhaust manifold - then you probably need some flex extentions and pretty of penetrating solvent. Fortunantely, you should not have to worry about the upstream O2 sensor - as it installed on the front pipe and not on the manifold. Probably the toughest part is getting to the mainfold and heatshield - as these are clost to the firewall. Not much room to work around. Some may have some better luck putting the car on a lift and coming at it from underneath. You could do it at home, but would have to find a way to securely fix the car, ie. multiple jackstands, extra set of hands.

FishExpo. Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna go down there this weekend and try to find out exactly what is causing this engine noise. I hope it is something as simple as a leaking manifold gasket. If it's a crack...I hope it's something easily identifiable; then I may just get a new exhaust manifold from ebay and replace it myself on the driveway. I do have a four jackstands and a big jack and standard tools. Hopefully that'll be good enough. Good nite!

-Dennis

when you get the new one buy a dremel and ask fish about porting it ;) its free and supposedly gives a little more zip to the stock engine.