Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Fleck

Kyb Shock/strut Prices

What sort of prices in US or Canadian$ should I be looking at for KYB Shock/Struts on eBay? Will this be less money than if I buy them from a local supplier? Will this be a saving from having the garage that will do the installation order them for me?

Thanks.

If you plan on having a shop install them - most of the time, buying them yourslef will save you money - as they generally charge retail prices for most components. Unless you are good terms on the shop and they get items for cost (very unusual though).

As for pricing - depends on which KYB series you are looking at and for which model year of Corolla. Most of the Corolla OEM struts are KYB - usually black or white in color. KYB GR-2 are a step up from OEM struts, KYB AGX is a step above them. Cost generally start around $60-$70 USD per strut, depending on model year and type of strut. Retail prices can be significantly higher - I've seen some local shops charge $150 each strut, something that I can buy online for about half that.

As for pricing - depends on which KYB series you are looking at and for which model year of Corolla. Most of the Corolla OEM struts are KYB - usually black or white in color. KYB GR-2 are a step up from OEM struts, KYB AGX is a step above them. Cost generally start around $60-$70 USD per strut, depending on model year and type of strut. Retail prices can be significantly higher - I've seen some local shops charge $150 each strut, something that I can buy online for about half that.

I would like to move up to the KYB GR-2. It's for my 1999 Corolla. I have seen set's of four on eBay for about $250.

Why KYB? Would another shock/strut maker(Monroe?) work just as well? I know that the KYB's seem to be heavily endorsed here on the forum.

KYB are popular since they give you a good ride and decent handling for the price. I was a big fan of Monroe some decades ago - but now I wouldn't even give them a glance. Blew two out on some country roads - not a good picture. Never touched them since - but that is my opinion, you can decide for yourself.

Other ones that people have used and recommend, especially, if you plan on upgrading to a performance oriented strut (doesn't always mean a worse ride, some performance struts ride as well as OEM, but have better damping when you start to tear it up a bit). Tokicos, Bilstein, and Konis are also well received - depending on your location, can be easy or hard to locate a distributor and stock for your vehicle.

You can find KYBs pretty much anywhere, Tokicos would probably be the next popular one that you can readily find. Bilsteins and Konis can be found, but takes a bit more research to find and sometimes are harder to locate in quantity.

Thanks.

I see a set of KYB GR2 shocks on ebay for $214. Good deal?

Is there any point to replacing the spring coils at the same time( 178,000K)?

Thanks again.

$214 seems like a decent price. Though I generally don't buy stuff on eBay - given personal experiences with them.

As for springs - depends on how the current ones are doing. Most do tend to replace the springs with struts - as both have finite lifespans. Some prefer to match a performance strut with some performance springs - but keep in mind, most tend to lower the overall ride height of the vehicle. Most a matter of personal preference.

When I did my setup - I installed KYB GR-2s with TRD performance springs. The springs are only slightly stiffer than OEM and dropped the overall ride around an 1"-1.5" all around. With the GR-2s, ride is actually as smooth as stock, but with the higher spring rates, I actually bottom out the suspension LESS than before on big bumps. Brake dive and acceleration squat have virtually been eliminated and the car takes to corners like it was on rails.

More than a year ago I picked up a full Tokico set for US$259. Off ebay, but seller is local and I got to pick it up myself and paypal him right there. Still waiting for my dream gen 8 to materialize for me to put it in. That and source a set of TRD springs. B)

Thanks again. Silly question. Just want to make sure that I have this right. Do I need a set of four struts for each respective wheel or is it a combo of struts/shocks for front/back or vice-versa. Again this is for a 1999 Corolla CE, 4 door.

Generally better to replace them all - if you get to that point. Usually, if one goes bad or the ride seems to have degraded considerably - only a matter of time before the others start acting funny. Most struts are sold individually (left/right/front/back) - but usually advise to replace at least in axle sets (front or rear) at the very minimum with a full set of four for best results.

KYB are popular since they give you a good ride and decent handling for the price. I was a big fan of Monroe some decades ago - but now I wouldn't even give them a glance. Blew two out on some country roads - not a good picture. Never touched them since - but that is my opinion, you can decide for yourself.

I know that the KYB's seem to rule here on this forum. However, the garage where I am most likely going to have the work done is pushing Monroe - they say same quality shock as the KYB GR2, but with a lifetime warranty. I am waiting to hear back from them with a quote.

I have found an online seller in Canada that is selling the KYB GR2's for about $100/strut which seems to be about right.

I know that the KYB's seem to rule here on this forum. However, the garage where I am most likely going to have the work done is pushing Monroe - they say same quality shock as the KYB GR2, but with a lifetime warranty. I am waiting to hear back from them with a quote.

I have found an online seller in Canada that is selling the KYB GR2's for about $100/strut which seems to be about right.

I've had both, and I would choose KYB GR2s over monroe shocks. The GR2s are a upgrade above stock while the monroes are a OEM replacement. The GR2s will be a little stiffer. IMO, it's about as stiff as you can go and still have a fully conferable ride. I love the GR2s because it's a taste of performance for a small price. You can't really go any stiffer without going in to a full street performance shock. For the price, they truly due rock.

Generally items are cheaper on e-Bay.

I personally try and avoid ebay. It's kind of like the scum of shopping sometimes.

You can try http://www.shox.com/ or summitracing. Between the both, you should be able to find a great deal.

Good luck. If you do choose KYB, but sure to get GR-2 and not gas a shock or whatever it's called. That would pretty much be a stock replacement. If that's what you want, fine, but when something needs to be replaced, it's a great time to upgrade and not just settle for boring old sock stuff. Unless that's all the wallet allows. You gotta do what you gotta do. Been their.

Generally items are cheaper on e-Bay.

I personally try and avoid ebay. It's kind of like the scum of shopping sometimes.

You can try http://www.shox.com/ or summitracing. Between the both, you should be able to find a great deal.

Good luck. If you do choose KYB, but sure to get GR-2 and not gas a shock or whatever it's called. That would pretty much be a stock replacement. If that's what you want, fine, but when something needs to be replaced, it's a great time to upgrade and not just settle for boring old sock stuff. Unless that's all the wallet allows. You gotta do what you gotta do. Been their.

That website carries a lot of different brands. Free shipping.

For my car the KYB would be $309 for a set of 4.

KYB GR-2 are a step up from OEM struts, KYB AGX is a step above them. .

I'm not sure where you guys are getting this info but GR-2 are the OEM replacements and have no upgrade over stock. AGX is the step up which adds adjustablility.

I bought mine from http://1motormart.com for less than $70 (usd) each with free shipping. Avoid ebay unless you're getting a great deal, you'll just wait longer for shipping and have less insurance that you'll recieve the correct part.

Is there any point to replacing the spring coils at the same time

Yes, springs are the #1 influence on body roll and handling. All struts do is controll the dampening and rebound of the springs. If you're going to replace struts, then DEFINATELY do the springs as well or you'll be dissapointed with the results. For cost; Eibach Pro-Kit + KYB GR-2/AGX is the way to go. If you want something better get Tokico or Koni. They are the only better option.