Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
twinky64

Serpentine Belt For 1zzfe

Reading this forum I read that it is extremely common for corollas, 8th gen +, to have a belt squeak. I thought it was the belt tensioner myself. But, I didn't want to spend that much money to replace it so I thought I'd give it a shot at replacing the serpentine belt. Its fixed! I wonder if its just toyota's stock serp. belt? Also, you can get some compound to put on the serp. belt to relieve the squeaking. They sell them at any auto shop and they come in a little pouch. Maybe this helps. I have a 98 so perhaps it doesn't pertain to you since you have an 05.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Yeah, I have tried belt dressing in the past and I dont like to use it. I believe that it softens the rubber in the belt and causes it to deteriorate faster than it should.

I'll try a new belt since the shock on the tensioner looks like it is in perfect condition.

Jeremy

Yeah, I have tried belt dressing in the past and I dont like to use it. I believe that it softens the rubber in the belt and causes it to deteriorate faster than it should.

I'll try a new belt since the shock on the tensioner looks like it is in perfect condition.

Jeremy

If the belt is worn - replace it, if it looks fine - try adjusting the tension on it.

If the belt is worn - replace it, if it looks fine - try adjusting the tension on it.

How would the tension be adjusted? Isnt the tension determined by the "shock" on the tensioner apparatus?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but I have driven jeeps all of my life and they have all had the typical bolt style bent tensioner.

I think the S-Belt on my 98 is original..with almost 80K on it. Hehe..I've inspected in numerous times. It has its fair share of cracks, but no squeal or noise. I'm probably just waiting until it breaks until I put a new one in. It's too cold now to put a new one in. Just make sure my AAA card is up to date just in case ;)

great thread and lots of good info being shared!!

my 03 CE would squeak upon intial start and, for me, it turned out to being a pulley rather than the belt itself. i sprayed a little WD-40 on the centers of the pulleys and the squeak went away.

for me, the squeaky one was the alternator pulley.

hope this helps.

regards, mark

My daughter has a 2004 and her car squeeked like crazy - changing the belt did the trick.

Only one belt, self tensioning - no adjustment required.