Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Alzzy

Spark Plugs?

Do performance spark pligs really make a difference. Like they have racing types, performance onces. Could someone tell the best for a 1zzfe engine one a corolla. To increase acceleration etc. Any racing type ones?

trap

I missed what year your car is. If it's 9th gen, there is a performance-oriented site you might want to visit. Check out our own jupiterboy while you're there:

http://9thgencorolla.com/

The Denso IKs are the best Iridium plugs and they do make a difference. They only last about 1/3 as long, but it is an easy swap with a little bump in torque and performance. I think you would look for the Denso IK 16s if you have a 9thGen 1ZZ.

I have a 2006 Corolla Altis 1.8L. We have that in Pakistan. Guess it is equivalent to the USD 03'04 Corolla.

I got myself a pair of NGK Iridium plugs (BKR5EIX-11 ). Here is the link. Are they as good?

Edited by Alzzy

Denso makes NKGs, but they reserve the best technology for the Denso plugs. What you get is a smaller tip, that fires with less voltage, and also burns up more quickly. Because it takes less electricity to fire you get better burn, particularly if the electrical is stressed (ignition/injection). You are talking about very minor differences thoug. Try the Denso next time and tell us what you think.

Considering that you always get a boost when you change plugs it is all going to be very hard to sort out. The Denso web site has the rundown on the welding technology used if you are interested.

Best to suit the plug to the particular ignition system at hand. The OEM plugs are Denso SK16R11 or NGK IFR5A11 - both excellent plugs. Jupiterboy has mentioned the IK series plugs (NGK has the IX series) - both sets are Iridium plugs with a fine wire electrode. Main difference is the size of the electrode - the IK and IX having a finer sized tip compared to the OEM plugs. One likelyhood of a finer tip is increased exposure of the flame kernel to air/fuel mix - makes for a more complete combustion.

But there are many factors and questions that you have to take into account and ask yourself:

- how often do you want to change plugs

- will you sacrifice some low speed driving for high speed performance

- this for N/A application or forced induction

- what do you hope to achieve in the end

Reason I ask - for a supercharged app that you where entertaining - an Iridium plug will make for a poor choice. In the stock engine or N/A app - all the better to get a good plug. Reasons for which can get very lengthy in explaination. But can be summed up in term called flame kernel extinction or "blowout".

As for racing plugs - that is more marketing than anything else. Most have old tricks like clipped electrodes, split or grooved ground electrode, adjustable washers for "indexing" a plug. Most will not be any better than the Denso IK or NGK IX series plugs for a modern F/I engine. ALso - this assumes the OEM coil on plug. Go with a stand alone ECM with an aftermarket ignition system - then all the rules change - there it usually pays to stick with a plain copper plug.

^ Didn't realize he was FI.

The Denso IKs have a .4 mm tip for comparison.

Not quite yet - still trying to find out if it is possible on his particular model.

For me - the IK didn't seem to do anything different on my 1ZZ-FE Corolla - but they did improve the way the 2ZZ-GE Matrix responded. IK20s are what came with my Matrix, so same with me, I'll stick will them as well.

Jupiterboy,

Denso and NGK are 2 sepparate companies and compete with each other for spark plug business.

Denso is the largest japanese OE electronics parts supplier, and currently #2 in the world. Only Bosch is bigger.

NGK is a Japanese spark plug and sensor supplier.

I am with Fish, go with factory plugs.

I run with Denso in all my Toyota vehicles, and NGK in my Nissans. For some reason, they seem to run better. I hated Bosch until I bought a VW, and they ran great (no idea why).

I have also run various "high performance" plugs in the past. In a stock engine, there was little "noticable" change, and I feel that they are not worth the price ($2 for a plain plug, $20 for a racing plug... On my Z, it was $120 just for plugs!)

my 2bits

tdk

I had been told by several people that NKG farms out the manufacture of the some plugs to Denso because they have a patent on the technology for working with the tips. It does make some sense that they would save the best for themselves and not sell the smallest tip to the competitor but rather a similar but less exacting technology.

I'm pretty sure they are separate companies and are competitors. They might contract out to each other - happens all the time in automotive circles. Toyota has contracts with both companies - they promote Denso first then NGK - since Denso corp split off from the parent Toyota. I know with my Honda - NGK was the primary supplier, then Denso as a comparable replacement.

Weird but true - since both companies are contracted for OEM suppilers for Toyota - not unusal to see a V-6 or V-8 powered Toyota or Lexus with NGK in one bank and Denso in the other. I've seen it more than a handful of times on the Tundra and some of the midline Lexus. Since they did that at the factory and no one has really complained about it - the two sets of plugs must be very comperable.

Mine had NKGs stock. NKG's hot plugs have a .6mm or .8mm tip if I remeber right, and the comparable Densos have a .4mm, which makes me tend to believe that Denso does finish the plugs but won't make an equal or better plug for a competitor. But what do I know. :rolleyes: