Sign in to follow this  
Braddale

Throttle Body Cleaning

Which would be more performance enhancing - a larger throttle body, or a K&N intake set-up?

for a larger throttle body to work, the intake (where the tb bolts) would have to be bigger also, or it will actually hurt performance. as matrix tech stated earlier, clean it on the car, using an old toothbrush and carb. cleaner. not brake clean. as he stated, 30k is most likely often enough. BTW, those of you who may have a ford, DO NOT CLEAN THEM!!! some have a coating on them to prevent the deposits, and cleaning them removes the coating. also, ford was not thinking well, and some of their trucks (unsure on the cars) have the TPS on the bottom of the TB. so when you clean it, all the gunk runs down into the TPS, and guess what? off you go to buy a new TPS.

aaro

trap
Which would be more performance enhancing - a larger throttle body, or a K&N intake set-up?

for a larger throttle body to work, the intake (where the tb bolts) would have to be bigger also, or it will actually hurt performance. as matrix tech stated earlier, clean it on the car, using an old toothbrush and carb. cleaner. not brake clean. as he stated, 30k is most likely often enough. BTW, those of you who may have a ford, DO NOT CLEAN THEM!!! some have a coating on them to prevent the deposits, and cleaning them removes the coating. also, ford was not thinking well, and some of their trucks (unsure on the cars) have the TPS on the bottom of the TB. so when you clean it, all the gunk runs down into the TPS, and guess what? off you go to buy a new TPS.

aaro

What's a Ford?

At 58K miles, I decided to clean the throttle body on 2005 CE. Man, it was filthy. I did use Throttle Body cleaner and a lot of paper towels. A rag would have worked also, but you'll be throwing it away. I sprayed TB cleaner on the towels, held the butterfly open, and scrubbed away. There was a lot of buildup on the butterfly and the body itself. I probably should have removed the entire unit (Next time I will). There appears to be a sensor directly behind the butterfly valve. I hope the TB cleaner won't damage it. Idle was a little rough at first, but appears to be smoothing out as I drive it some. I think this car has drive-by-wire (DBW) throttle body, so having a clean throttle body is necessary.

At 58K miles, I decided to clean the throttle body on 2005 CE. Man, it was filthy. I did use Throttle Body cleaner and a lot of paper towels. A rag would have worked also, but you'll be throwing it away. I sprayed TB cleaner on the towels, held the butterfly open, and scrubbed away. There was a lot of buildup on the butterfly and the body itself. I probably should have removed the entire unit (Next time I will). There appears to be a sensor directly behind the butterfly valve. I hope the TB cleaner won't damage it. Idle was a little rough at first, but appears to be smoothing out as I drive it some. I think this car has drive-by-wire (DBW) throttle body, so having a clean throttle body is necessary.

Sounds like it really needed the cleaning.

I have sprayed cleaner into the throttle as the car was running to help clean it out.

I wouldn't use carb cleaner. Only use throttle body cleaners that are both sensor and TB safe.

The CRC product will not remove the teflon coating on the Fords. They also sell a MAF cleaning product.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/...N=05078&S=Y

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/label/lb05078.pdf

Jay in MA

aaro

I wouldn't use carb cleaner. Only use throttle body cleaners that are both sensor and TB safe.

The CRC product will not remove the teflon coating on the Fords. They also sell a MAF cleaning product.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/...N=05078&S=Y

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/label/lb05078.pdf

Jay in MA

aaro

Looks like a good product - how well does it work?

Is it available in stores?

It works very well. CRC manufactures good products.

Yes they sell it at all of the major chains.

Looks like a good product - how well does it work?

Is it available in stores?

Edited by TRCar54