Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
twinky64

Fuel Injectors

I have a 98 corolla and would like to change the fuel injectors but I don't want to go to a shop. Is this a easy DIY project? What will I need to take out the fuel injectors for the 1zzfe engine? Is it simple plug and play or do I have to take some precautions? Any help would be nice because I have no idea how to take them out "properly". Thanks

trap

Pretty easy - basically a few bolts holding down the fuel rail and disconnect the wiring harness for the injectors. Supposed to depressurize it first (but I usually throw a rag around the fitting and let the gas spray out on its own or disconnect the power to the fuel pump and depressurize the rail that way), rail comes off - injectors pop out - new injectors go in (watch for old o-rings stuck in the rail, lube new ones with fuel, and push them in straight or they will leak), fuel rail goes back, connect the harnesses - start the car and check for leaks.

Make sure to get high impedence injectors - if replace the OEM ones with new OEM ones - should have zero problems. Don't go with a bigger injector unless you plan on having some type of engine management. The ECM will not understand larger injectors and the fuel system may not keep up with the flow rate.

Pretty easy - basically a few bolts holding down the fuel rail and disconnect the wiring harness for the injectors. Supposed to depressurize it first (but I usually throw a rag around the fitting and let the gas spray out on its own or disconnect the power to the fuel pump and depressurize the rail that way), rail comes off - injectors pop out - new injectors go in (watch for old o-rings stuck in the rail, lube new ones with fuel, and push them in straight or they will leak), fuel rail goes back, connect the harnesses - start the car and check for leaks.

Make sure to get high impedence injectors - if replace the OEM ones with new OEM ones - should have zero problems. Don't go with a bigger injector unless you plan on having some type of engine management. The ECM will not understand larger injectors and the fuel system may not keep up with the flow rate.

Great!!!!! Thank you soooooooooo much!!! That's gonna save me $$$. If I turn off the car, will that depressurize it? Also, If I take the fuel injectors out, will fuel just spray out and out forever? Sorry, such stupid questions, I kinda know stuff about cars but when it comes to hands on............I know jack.

I replaced the injetors with so called OEM ones that were newer. The person who sold it to me had this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Ever since I installed that with some OBX Iridium plugs, I've been having a really laggy startup, like 5-8 seconds before engine turns on. When I turn it on in a garage, I will smell gasoline fumes. My starter is good; turns hard and true. When I had my old fuel injectors, my engine started up fine, but the reason why I replaced them is because I have 192,000mi on them, so figured I'd replace them. Any ideas or things that I should open the hood of my car to make sure of fish?

The fuel injectors that I have bought from the ebay seller above look EXACTLY the same as my old ones down to the number of holes. On vamp's corolla, his diy says that you should disconnect the battery to reset the ECU otherwise the engine will not run properly.

http://vamp.darkravers.net/TipsInstallingP...elInjectors.cfm

Will I need to do that instead of changing them? Any info is good.

Lastly, how do I take out the sparkplugs out after I take off the spark plug wires connecting them? The look like they are deep in there like 4" or so.

Edited by twinky64

Well it ialways a good idea to reset the ECU - that way, you will redefine a new baseline for the injectors. Otherwise, the ECU would use preset values that may cause problems for you.

Note that fuel injectors generally don't "wear" out, unless you knowingly put in bad gas or somethine, but they can die unexpectantly.

If you smell gas fumes from under the hood - that is a sure fire sign of a leaky injector or onw that has not seated correctly into the fuel rail. As long as the key is out of the ignition and battery cable unplugged - the fuel rail will quickly depressurize. Sometimes it is a good diea to bench test the injector - you can run them outside of the rail (piece of hose for fuel, haness connected, diagnostic tool running, and measure how much fuel is coming out.

A loose or crooked injector to fuel rail fitment would be first guess. Aa bum injector or bad o-ring would be my second guess.

Possible it could be a bad plug or incorrect plug gap causing the problem as well.

Get some extensions - a 3-pack of 4" - 6" - 8" or bigger is pretty cheap at a hardware store or retailer like Sears or Home Depot.

Well it ialways a good idea to reset the ECU - that way, you will redefine a new baseline for the injectors. Otherwise, the ECU would use preset values that may cause problems for you.

Note that fuel injectors generally don't "wear" out, unless you knowingly put in bad gas or somethine, but they can die unexpectantly.

If you smell gas fumes from under the hood - that is a sure fire sign of a leaky injector or onw that has not seated correctly into the fuel rail. As long as the key is out of the ignition and battery cable unplugged - the fuel rail will quickly depressurize. Sometimes it is a good diea to bench test the injector - you can run them outside of the rail (piece of hose for fuel, haness connected, diagnostic tool running, and measure how much fuel is coming out.

A loose or crooked injector to fuel rail fitment would be first guess. Aa bum injector or bad o-ring would be my second guess.

Possible it could be a bad plug or incorrect plug gap causing the problem as well.

Get some extensions - a 3-pack of 4" - 6" - 8" or bigger is pretty cheap at a hardware store or retailer like Sears or Home Depot.

For a mechanically DEclined person, the extension goes on the automatic wrench/torque wrench right? The spark plug tips are round. So, how do you use an extension, which I think has a square/hexagon tip for addons, to get a pice of semi-global piece out? How do I put them back in? Will I have to unscrew them 1/4 ways and pull out or is gravity the only thing holding them in? I guess what I mean is, how are the sparkplugs fastened in there?

Need ratchet or torquewrench (though I recommend removing them with a plain ratchet - using a torquewrench for general use will eventually throw its calibration off), long extension, and sparkplug socket. There are two standard sizes for sparkplug sockets - ours takes the smaller of the two (16mm socket (5/8" socket should work)). TIP: Always work with a cool engine - reduces the chance of stripping the threads on the head.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Most sparkplug sockets have a rubber insert to hold the plug in while you lower it into the sparkplug well. If not - then use a length of 5/16" I.D. rubber hose to get the plug started. TIP: Always start the plug by hand first - then use the ratchet/torquewrench to tighten them down (~13ftlb). Sometimes it is a good idea to use some anti-sieze thread compound (makes that a whole lot easier to remove next time). Just don't go too overboard with the stuff - just a little on the threads is good enough. Careful not to get any on the electrode, or it may ruin the plug (some plugs), and most definitely cause a hot spot for pre-ignition issues.

There is also a socket meant for spark plugs. It has a rubber insert that grips the top of the plug and holds it until you pull it up and off.

Here's a decent site with pictures:

http://www.techguys.ca/howto/spark_plugs.html

Also good general DIY project instructions w/pics:

http://www.techguys.ca/howto/index.html

I figured out why my stupid crappy corolla was taking forever to start, it was the injectors. When my car is running with the new injectors, I got more power and a lower more powerful sounding engine. However, I think I was running too rich. I looked at the part number for the old injectors with the new ones. They are indeed identical..................except for 1of3 sets of numbers. The first set of numbers contains only two digits. My original injectors read "05" and the new ones read "10". Other than that, the rest of the numbers, company and color all matched.

BTW, are injectors different for california due to super low emission standards than the rest of the states?

I figured out why my stupid crappy corolla was taking forever to start, it was the injectors. When my car is running with the new injectors, I got more power and a lower more powerful sounding engine. However, I think I was running too rich. I looked at the part number for the old injectors with the new ones. They are indeed identical..................except for 1of3 sets of numbers. The first set of numbers contains only two digits. My original injectors read "05" and the new ones read "10". Other than that, the rest of the numbers, company and color all matched.

BTW, are injectors different for california due to super low emission standards than the rest of the states?

I live in CA and would like to know if they are different also.

I have never had to change injectors but maybe if I did I could get better fuel efficiency.