Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
BabyBird200

Motor Oil Choice

LOL, everyone thinks that mobil1 is the best, I guess the comercials work well to brainwash.

Go to BITOG, check the UOAs and you will see little difference between different brands. And no, mobil1 doesn't have the lowest wear metal levels.

Often times people do oil test on used cars after they have used Mobil 1 just once. The test can be contaminated by oil left over from the last oil change, using Mobil 1 once on a older engine and then testing the oil. I've yet to see a really good controled test and most people only pay for one used oil test because they cost so much.

Have you ever started a car below zero with Mobil 1 in it? If not, please don't bash it. It's great stuff and for the price of 5 quart jugs at wally world, it doesn't even break the bank.

I agree with you on this one. If you live in arctric conditions, synthetic (I mean true synthetic, group 4 or 5) is the way to go. Another good reason to use synthetic (even pseudosynth group 3) is high oil temp. Racing cars and towing come to mind as good examples. As I live in mild climate and never race or tow with my corolla, any 5W30 API:SM oil is good enough. I did UOA with dino oil at 5000 miles and the wear metals were very low. This is consistent in 1zzfe engines with any oil and any interval I saw.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Mobil 1 synthetic oil 5W-30W is about $5.65 a quart where I can purchase it. Is it worth getting considering frequency of change and benefits, when regular oil is only $2.25 a quart??

Just refer to friendly_jacek post above - as long as you change the oil on a regular basis and make sure the oil you are putting has an API grade of SJ or better. API rate SM conventional oils can give synthetics a good run - ie, conventional oils are much better now then what they were even a few years ago.

If you live in extreme temperature enviroments or want to run an extended oil change interval - synthetics are the way to go. Otherwise, it would be hard to recoup the initial investment in using the synthetic oil. I personally use Mobil 1 - since it is relatively cheap and easy to find, I enjoy better fuel economy compared to conventional motor oil (Mobil 1 tends to be on the thinner side of 5w-30 range oils, and can go 8K mile+ between changes easily (several time got up to 10K-12K miles between changes, UOA wear levels are always low).

Just refer to friendly_jacek post above - as long as you change the oil on a regular basis and make sure the oil you are putting has an API grade of SJ or better. API rate SM conventional oils can give synthetics a good run - ie, conventional oils are much better now then what they were even a few years ago.

If you live in extreme temperature enviroments or want to run an extended oil change interval - synthetics are the way to go. Otherwise, it would be hard to recoup the initial investment in using the synthetic oil. I personally use Mobil 1 - since it is relatively cheap and easy to find, I enjoy better fuel economy compared to conventional motor oil (Mobil 1 tends to be on the thinner side of 5w-30 range oils, and can go 8K mile+ between changes easily (several time got up to 10K-12K miles between changes, UOA wear levels are always low).

Well, I don't live in an extreme temperature area, but if it helps my engine and also improves my fuel economy, I am willing to give it a chance with the Mobil 1. I will also increase the change interval and that may compensate somewhat for the price differential. I still have several quarts of new oil left in the garage to use up first. It may take a few months before I actually put it in my car.

Edited by Bikeman982

I wouldn't expect double mileage or anything - but running my change interval to 8000 miles and noting that I get about an extra 3-4 MPG on the highway - evens out the higher initial costs. This was also done on my car that I bought new - not sure exactly what will happen if you switched with a high mileage motor that had been running convential oil previously - maybe you would be willing to be the "guinea pig" on this. :D

+1 For Mobil 1 Synthetic

Castrol GTX is a good one too. I think there a bunch of good choices out there and like the last few posts have stated a lot of the decision should be based on your driving conditions and basically how much you're willing to spend.

Only oil I would steer clear of is Penzoil. I used to work for my step dad doing engine work. We would see pretty bad engine sludge and ask the customer about their oil changing habits and what they used. I would say about 90% of the time we already knew the answer...they got their oil changed every 3000 miles at a local lube shopp and they used Penzoil. On the flip side of that we would see some really high mileage cars come in and the top end of the engine would be clean enough to eat off of...and they almost always said they used Castrol GTX.

Just my $.02 worth.....

+1 For Mobil 1 Synthetic

Castrol GTX is a good one too. I think there a bunch of good choices out there and like the last few posts have stated a lot of the decision should be based on your driving conditions and basically how much you're willing to spend.

Only oil I would steer clear of is Penzoil. I used to work for my step dad doing engine work. We would see pretty bad engine sludge and ask the customer about their oil changing habits and what they used. I would say about 90% of the time we already knew the answer...they got their oil changed every 3000 miles at a local lube shopp and they used Penzoil. On the flip side of that we would see some really high mileage cars come in and the top end of the engine would be clean enough to eat off of...and they almost always said they used Castrol GTX.

Just my $.02 worth.....

True, this is a true story and Penzoil went out of business. Now, shell purchased the brand and Penzoil is one of the better brands. Basically, brands don't matter anymore. Certifications such as API:SM, ACEA:A1, ACEA:A3 are stringent enough to guarantee than any certified oil is good for general purpose..

Edited by friendly_jacek

I wouldn't expect double mileage or anything - but running my change interval to 8000 miles and noting that I get about an extra 3-4 MPG on the highway - evens out the higher initial costs. This was also done on my car that I bought new - not sure exactly what will happen if you switched with a high mileage motor that had been running convential oil previously - maybe you would be willing to be the "guinea pig" on this. :D

I switched over from conventional oil at 75K... I used Mobil 1 EP 5w30. I went from 30mpg to almost 33 mpg.

I have a 2005 Corolla S 5-speed with just over 30,000 miles on it. I would like to drain the transmission gear oil and clean off the drain plug magnet. I would like to use Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic gear oil (GL-5). The owner's manual specifies GL-4 or GL-5, but nothing more than that. It doesn't go into detail whether or not to use a gear oil with or without a limited slip additive. I don't want to use something that is not recommended or something that would be harmful to the transmission. I use the Mobil 5000 or Mobil 7500 oil for the engine, and I change it according to the 5,000 mile interval in the owner's manual. Any suggestions?

Unless you have a LSD - no need for the additive. If you add gear lube that was formulated with the limited slip additive in it - all you'll end up doing is chewing parts up prematurely. Some have noted that not all synthetic gear lubes have worked well - some complained about excessive transaxle noise. Personally, I've run RedLine branded synthetic lubes - Mobil 1 for the motor oil - no problems at all in three different cars.

I have switched to Mobil 1, but have not noticed any significant improvement in mileage. The oil does seem to be fine and if the change interval is less frequent, then it is better.

Here is a question I often wrestle with...

What is the maximum length of time regardless of mileage you would go between oil changes?

I find that I do not drive the standard 3k in 3 months and for my first oil change I waited until 4 months at only 2600 miles.

I put in Mobile 1 5w30…

What is the maximum length of time regardless of mileage you would go between oil changes?

I find that I do not drive the standard 3k in 3 months and for my first oil change I waited until 4 months at only 2600 miles.

I put in Mobile 1 5w30…

You could probably go a very long time, if you kept the oil condition good by adding an occasional top-off. That would mix with the dirty oil and make it last a little longer. If you look at your oil on the dipstick and it looks really dirty or smells kind of burned - then it definitely needs to be changed.

I put in Mobile 1 5w30…

For applications where mileage doesn't roll on very quickly, the time to change the oil will vary depending on situations such as:

- The number of cold starts

- Distance traveled

- Quality of oil/filtration used

- Ambient operating temperature

- Engine condition

Usually, if the mileage isn't there - then you need to change the engine oil about every 6 months. Just because the oil doesn't have lots of miles on it - doesn't mean it isn't working hard. You have to conscience of corrosion (condensation in crankcase and naturally forming acids in oil from combustion processes) to specific engine components. If you really don't drive that much - might want to consider an additive to "pickle" the engine - keeping a good film of oil on all exposed engine surfaces. Same way with the fuel - adding a fuel stabilizer will help in entended periods of inactivity.

Sure fire way to know of the oil is doing its job - get a used oil analysis. For around $20 - you'll get a chemical analysis of the oil and its condition - you'll get a go or no go on the health of the oil and may get suggestions of what to do (depending on used oil analysis company).

ah I drive it every day just not that far to work about 15 miles one way... However due to the lack of planning in my city we have some of the worst traffic for a city of our size… I try to avoid stop and go.. However it seems I have no way home now without it… :(

Ill probably stick to 4 to 6 months… It was down 3/8th of a qt when I changed it… So I hope it doesn’t increase…

I was looking at Blackstone and I will probably do that after my next change...