Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
BabyBird200

Motor Oil Choice

hey guys i was thinking about changing the oil to something better then what the dealer gives me, what do you suggest i have been recommended by my dad to use one of the castrol, but i want your opinion.

Castrol is very good. Seems like last we discussed this, Pennzoil also came up as a good choice.

Everyone loves Mobil-1. I've heard W Mart has good prices.

I've used the basic Amsoil Synth in several cars, including the Corolla. I like it because it is highly detergent but doesn't have any additives. Keyz (sic) at 9th gen recently posted a link to a guy that would sell at a discount. I get a case with four jugs and it lasts through several changes. I do notice a bit more engine noise with it. No dramatic changes, just keeps the engine very clean over the long haul.

Any oil and you should be fine with it. But if your wanting the best, go with mobil 1. imo, even if you go with cheap stuff, just make sure you change if often. If anything, spend a few extra bucks on a good filter.

I will definately recommend Mobile-1 Synthetic and WIX filters.

Royal Purple and Amsoil synthetics have also been given high ratings.

From my understanding some of the other "synthetic" motor oils are actually a synthetic/dino blend. That is the reason for their lower cost. I am not saying they are bad, just not as good as a true synthetic.

Read up on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ forums.

I've been running wix filters and mobil 1 oil, but I think I am just going to go with super tech filters and super tech synthetic oil. While not 100% varified yet I don't think, it looks like Meijers sythetic oil is the same as super tech. It can be hard to find the 5w 30 at wally world.

I would not use non-synthetic Penzoil or Quaker State. The oil that comes from those deposits in PA naturally contain parafin wax. In certain vehicles this causes problems with oil loss due to the parafin wax boiling off. I won't use either of those oils again after how they worked in my last car.

I used to use Quaker State and never had any problems. I have not used Penzoil, but have seen repair places use it, which leads me to believe it is not the best available.

Edited by Bikeman982

LOL, everyone thinks that mobil1 is the best, I guess the comercials work well to brainwash.

Go to BITOG, check the UOAs and you will see little difference between different brands. And no, mobil1 doesn't have the lowest wear metal levels.

Seems like Mobil 1 is the oil of choice. I have not used it but after I run out of the supply of oil I am using in my garage, I may give it a try.

Edited by Bikeman982

LOL, everyone thinks that mobil1 is the best, I guess the comercials work well to brainwash.

Go to BITOG, check the UOAs and you will see little difference between different brands. And no, mobil1 doesn't have the lowest wear metal levels.

Often times people do oil test on used cars after they have used Mobil 1 just once. The test can be contaminated by oil left over from the last oil change, using Mobil 1 once on a older engine and then testing the oil. I've yet to see a really good controled test and most people only pay for one used oil test because they cost so much.

Have you ever started a car below zero with Mobil 1 in it? If not, please don't bash it. It's great stuff and for the price of 5 quart jugs at wally world, it doesn't even break the bank.