Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
mdepo12

New Performance Tires

Cosmetic. With the chunkier proportions, a 14" wheel won't look right.

Why did Toyota go with 14" wheels on the 1993 Corolla when the orevious sedans had 13" wheels?

Why doe toyota use 185/65 r15 on CE vs a almost 3% larger 195/65 r5 on S & LE? Don't know. It's cheaper to standardize them across the board. Toyota does have a history of doing this. Previous 2 generations used 175/65 r14 on the bottom of the line grades versus 185/65 r14 on higher grades.

trap
will a 205/60 give me better handling and traction than a 206/65?

The same brand/model 205/60 should give better handling than 205/65. The sidewall should have less give and the actual contact patch will be slightly larger.

Of course you can't compare a brandX/modelA vs brandY/modelB or even brandX/modelA to brandX/modelB this way. There are some brand/models of 205/65 that will outperform another brand model 205/60.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2056015/

try the falken ziex 512, ive heard good/great things about them.

theres also the Toyo Proxes Tpt

i dont know anything about them, but they should be a slightly softer rubber than the ziex 512, which could give better dry traction.

What would switching to 70's size tires do for you??

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2056015/

try the falken ziex 512, ive heard good/great things about them.

theres also the Toyo Proxes Tpt

i dont know anything about them, but they should be a slightly softer rubber than the ziex 512, which could give better dry traction.

What would switching to 70's size tires do for you??

um well i dont know what size the corolla has stock, but you want to keep the same rotational diameter as stock.

for a 70 series tire to keep the same size as stock on the 93-97 corolla you would need a 175/70/14 tire which would be 2.25 MM taller than stock.

its not hard to find a calculator which will tell you all these things pretty easily.

you would only run a tire with a taller sidewall if you decreased your wheel diameter or something weird like that. there would be no performance benefits. generally you want less sidewall because the sidewall of the tire is what flexes and gives during a turn which is PART of what causes the mushy feeling on initial turn in. the other factor is the tread squirm, which is literally the tread contacting the road wiggling between the surface of the tire.

think of it like this. you have the tread pushed to the road and then the wheel. the contact patch of the tire can wiggle side to side during turns. the shorter the tread the less it squirms and the less sidewall the less the tires contact patch can wiggle side to side in relation to the wheel.

understand?

Well the owner's manual recommends P175/65R14 or P185/65R14 size tires. When I got the car it had an assortment of different sized tires on it, so I replaced three of the four. I put P185/70R14 on the back and P175/70R14 on the front. They all have good tread and seem to ride pretty good. The back seems a little higher than the front and I like the way that looks. As far as handling, I don't drive that crazy and it handles fine (except maybe for needing new strust). I am not sure what the numbers mean for the tires, but I wanted something wider than the stock ones and as long as they were not worn I felt that they were good. When I eventually wear them out I might replace with some that are even lower and wider for better traction and stability, as well as the looks.

Edited by Bikeman982

195/55/14 are as large of a tire as you can safely put on the stock wheels for the 93-97.

all 4 tires should be the same size, as the corolla is not designed for staggered sizes. right now your car will have even more of a tendency to understeer than it already has.

you should pick either 185/65 14, 175/70 14, or 195/55 14 for all 4. 175/70 14 will net the best gas mileage and the least traction, 185/65 14 will be a nice balance, with 195/55 14 being the best traction and the greatest possible loss of fuel mileage due to increased rolling resistance.

195/55/14 are as large of a tire as you can safely put on the stock wheels for the 93-97.

all 4 tires should be the same size, as the corolla is not designed for staggered sizes. right now your car will have even more of a tendency to understeer than it already has.

you should pick either 185/65 14, 175/70 14, or 195/55 14 for all 4. 175/70 14 will net the best gas mileage and the least traction, 185/65 14 will be a nice balance, with 195/55 14 being the best traction and the greatest possible loss of fuel mileage due to increased rolling resistance.

I will consider that next time I change out the tires.

since you live in a warm place where temps are almost above 40F all year (you live in a warm part of cali?) you could run summer only tires which would get you AWESOME traction with the only downside being a slight increase in cost and the fact that theyre pretty soft and would last only about 2 years maybe. but since the corollas tire size is rather small...1. they would be cheap 2. might be hard to find.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=0

$80 each with 200 tread wear, they should give AMAZING grip on a car as light as the corolla.

however if thats not your cup of tea ive heard NOTHING bad about these

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/1856514/

theyre $36 each in 185/65 14. im going to be replacing my yokohama avids with those in that size this summer i think. hopefully theyre as good as everyone says they are.

I am not sure what the numbers mean for the tires, but I wanted something wider than the stock ones and as long as they were not worn I felt that they were good.

Let's take 185/65 r14 for instance:

185 = width in millimeters

65 is the aspect ratio= translation the sidewall ratio to the tire width. 65% of 185mm

14 = wheel size in inches.

To get overall diameter:

185 [mm] * 65/100 [aspect ratio] * 2 / 25.4 [converts mm to inches] + 14

The general rule of thumb is you do not want a difference in tire sizes more than 3%-- as this difference translates directly to speedometer & odometer error of the same percentage.

since you live in a warm place where temps are almost above 40F all year (you live in a warm part of cali?) you could run summer only tires which would get you AWESOME traction with the only downside being a slight increase in cost and the fact that theyre pretty soft and would last only about 2 years maybe. but since the corollas tire size is rather small...1. they would be cheap 2. might be hard to find.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=0

$80 each with 200 tread wear, they should give AMAZING grip on a car as light as the corolla.

however if thats not your cup of tea ive heard NOTHING bad about these

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/1856514/

theyre $36 each in 185/65 14. im going to be replacing my yokohama avids with those in that size this summer i think. hopefully theyre as good as everyone says they are.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have used Dunlop tires before for my motorcycles and they are as you described. They tend to be soft and have terrific gripping capability but wear out quickly.

My plan is (since I can't really afford to change it now) to keep the current tires until they wear out and then look around for different ones (such as the ones you suggested).

Edited by Bikeman982

i forgot to mention that i have yokohama avid's in 185/65 14 on my car right now.

500 tread wear, AA traction, A temp, H speed rated (130mph)

they do well for a high treadware tire. they have great wet grip on most road surfaces and are pretty predictable tires. ive rarely had an issue with them other than the fact that i dont like having as much sidewall as i do, i dont like the way it compresses on initial turn in.

Edited by Bitter

Let me make sure I got everything straight before I go buy anything.

205/60 - the 205 is the width of the tire and the 60 is the height from the rim to the top of the tire?