Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest newbie

'05 Xrs Mods

Guest newbie

I can't find much as far as after-market parts for the '05 XRS. Can anyone help out with a location to buy stuff, or do you have nay other ideas?

Have to wait for a little while - as for mods - most are cosmetic (interior/exterior treatment). They might have introduced intakes and exhausts - but that is about it for now.

Hit the GT-S forums and see if they know how the Lotus Elise gets it's 190HP raitings. Toyota's web page is pretty lousy about giving detailed information on the engine, so I don't know if any internal changes were made. For the extra HP, I would think not, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, the Lotus Elise with the same engine makes 190HP and 138' torque. The XRS is rated at 170HP. I'm sure it's a combo of ECU and exhaust work.

I don't think there is anything major you can do to that car. You can't do forced induction, the compression is too high. I'm sure some nice suspention parts will come out. You could make it turn on rails. I'm acually thinking about getting barly used suspention parts for XRS owners and putting them on my LE. I don't care for the speed so much going to work and what not, but I wouldn't mind a more aggressive suspention. Why brake, when you can just turn :)

You're right - on the Lotus - it is mostly an ECM change coupled with a tuned intake and exhaust system. Also it does not have to meet the same emissions level as the XRS Corolla (more emissions control = less power) and could be a deal breaker depending on where you live at.

I’m in the process of making all available TRD mods, which are not that impressive.

TRD high-flow air filter

TRD sports muffler

TRD springs

Also Falken Torque 5 17” wheels with Falken Azenis ST-115 tires.

I’m hoping to improve the handling and the performance slightly.

That means I’ll have a set of slightly used (440 miles) XRS springs as well as the OEM 16” alloys.

I’m optimistic but have no illusions of any large changes. Just small refinements.

I’ll post my impressions after the break-in period.

That TRD muffler is also insaily pricy compared to others. You should be able to get a nice polished magnaflow turbo muffler installed for less then $200. I got a non polished one for my last car and the core price was $110. I forget what the install price was. Maybe 15-20 buxs. It took maybe 10 minuets. I also already had the muffler cut off tho.

Just don't get a glass packed one, it will sound stupid. I wouldn't by a cheap one either. They look and sound ricy.

I've heard that some pple are turboing the 2ZZ-GE engines that are still in the tuning stages. Im pretty sure u need major modifications done to the engine.

They have a few examples of 2ZZGE that were blown on stock internals (6-7PSI boost) - one of them was done as a project car for one of the import mags (SportCompactCar with Matrix XRS) - they also done a bunch of Celicas GT-S - but have yet to see one on the Corolla XRS.

Seems that the Scion tC is the darling tuner car and sort of overshadowed the XRS. Hopefully you will start seeing more performance goodies for the XRS soon.

Guest newbie

Thanx guys, you are truly awesome to reply so quickly, but hey keep the info comin.

Picked up the car last night.

I added the TRD muffler as I mentioned, TRD lowering springs, new wheels and tires.

The results are very good. That’s my initial impression. We are still in the break-in period, and will switch to Amsoil and a TRD high-flow ari filter.

The exhaust is really nice. The character of the engine sound is less “anxiety” and more “smoky baritone”. The car is much more quite because of the tires, but the exhaust is very soft as well particularly in the 3 to 5m range where most driving is done.

There is less wheel gap, but not so low that we scrape around town. The tail end sits much lower and the overall look is much different.

The tires transfer to the springs bacause of the very heavy sidewalls, and the progressive feel is very nice.

This rides more like a luxury car.

Shifting is more forgiving with the free flow from the muffler and starts seem smother and easier to control.

That’s first impressions.

The muffler was around $435 but is very hard to locate. Pricey? Yes, but I really trust TRD to not take things too far.

My bets seem to have paid off well. It feels like a totally different car.

Guest newbie

Hey Jupiter, congrats on the new car man. I like your decription of a smoky baritone (lol). If you can, post some pics, I would like to see what you have done. BTW, you will like the car a whole lot more after break-in.......as if you haven't tried putting the pedal through the floor yet.