Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FatSam

'93 Corolla -- Engine Mount Prob, New Engine?

Guest FatSam

I've got a '93 Corolla I inherited from my father -- the front end's been shaking recently, I took it to my mechanic (who I trust) -- he tells me I need to replace the right front axle, and that 3 of my engine mounts are bad. The axle is $250 to fix; the engine mounts, I'm being quoted $750 or so -- $500 for a "liquid-filled" engine mount? Does this sound correct?

I've been thinking about getting a new engine for the vehicle anyway. I've put $3,500 into it already, which is certainly more than it's worth -- if I have to replace the engine mounts, it seems like replacing the engine along with it might be a reasonable step. Anyone out there done that, with that year vehicle? And what sorts of results did you get? I'd like to get up over 200HP.

trap

Yup - those hydraulic engine mounts are pretty expensive - but I don't think they are that high. But $750 for three mounts and an entire axle assembly with labor is about ball park for that kind of work.

If you feel that the engine could go - now would be a good time to think about a swap, especially if you are looking for more power. But you have to keep in mind - what goals you are after and what is "legal" to do.

To get up over 200HP - you will probably need to sink in about what you put in it already. To get a reliable 200HP+ - probably need to sink in about double that. Most swaps are legal "emission-wise" if the engine is the same year or newer. Your choices may be limited - depending on your local vehicle laws. If it was me - I'd look into a 4A-GE or 4A-GZE for performance, durability, and ease of swap. There are 1.6L engines, but have huge potential if built up right. As such, they command a price premium. I've seen them as low as $500 for just the engine to $2500 for a perfect half-cut. A 3S-GTE is also another with huge potential - but is not a direct engine swap. Lots of modification needs to be done to make it work.

Another way is to go forced induction with your current motor. Turbocharging or superchaging your engine, after the internals, electricals, and fuel systems are beefed up - amount of power to be made depends on your checkbook.

But shooting for 200HP may sound great - but you will definitely have to beef up the tranny, suspension, body,and brakes to handle the extra go.

I haven't done this model year - but have worked on a 1991 Honda (much easier to get parts). Short list - 1.6L SOHC swapped for a 1.8L DOHC VTEC, Crower rods, Golden Eagle sleeves, Arias 8.5:1 compression pistons, Hondata, MSD, APEXi, GReddy turbo kit, ran 15-18PSI boost all day on 93 octane. That was about 200WHP+. I paid about $4500 for all the pieces/parts and built it myself.

Would I do it again - maybe. Just not worth the money and time. I could pick up a used Evo or WRX - simple bolt ons and you would blow off most anything I could build for the same cost.

Guest FatSam

My mechanic's offered to do the engine replacement for about $1K, minus the cost of the engine itself -- he rebuilt a Jaguar for me some years ago, and did a great job, so I'm inclined to go for this.

I'm looking for a street-legal California replacement for this engine -- 200HP or up. If anyone can point me at resources, I'd sure appreciate it.

I dont think the 4AGZE engine could be legal in california if its install in car newer than 1989. 1989 was the last year that engine was used in the mr2. What I could see being california street leagal is a 93-up california 3SGTE of a celica or mr2. But it will have to be a USDM california car.

Guest Corollasroyce

Waste of time and money to try and make a corolla fast.....just silly really.....and it still won't be fast, 200 HP still won't break a 7 second 0-60 which is slow....

Waste of time and money to try and make a corolla fast.....just silly really.....and it still won't be fast, 200 HP still won't break a 7 second 0-60 which is slow....

Actually, it will probably be close to 6 seconds in a car as light as a Corolla. For example, the 3500 lb SHO with 220hp does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. (It does have more torque though... 200 ft/lbs)