Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeVTA

Toyota Sludge Proven, take a look.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Guest bfunkera

Here we go again - more CB cronies. I think this sentence in the thread says it all:

"My brother bought it with 40k miles about 4 years ago."

Hmmm...I wonder how well the engine was maintained for the 40K miles before he bought it?

Also, isn't this a Corolla forum?

As I posted in the "Autoresearcher" thread, you won't find any support for a class action lawsuit here. Eight to twelve hours of law is enough for me everyday - I come here to learn about Corollas.

Edited by bfunkera

Mike,

I read the thread and looked at the pictures, and sure enough, it proves there is sludge.

However, the pictures really only cause more questions than answers.

And if you will look at all of my posts on this topic, I've never said sludge doesn't occur.

However, I'm still pretty skeptical, as are a lot of the participants in that thread, regarding the cause of the sludge.

So logically, what "facts" do we have?

76k miles, oils changed w/ penzoil 10/30 every 5k

now it smokes but it comes and goes from nothing to

too bad for words

its a 1996

My brother bought it with 40k miles about 4 years

ago

Ok, now comes some reasoning, 36K miles in 4 years is about 9k miles/year. That's 1 to 2 oil changes per year.

The speculation section:

What was the service history prior to this owner?

What about the other possible causes, coolant leak, PCV issues (was the PCV valve ever changed in this)

Like I said, I believe sludge can occur, but I also believe that for a vehicle that travels 9K miles/year you need more than one oil change every 6 months. Especially if you are taking very short trip drives. If condensation never boils out of the crankcase because the engine never gets to operating temperature, you will make sludge, period.

So all this proves is sludge is possible, which I don't believe anyone has said it isn't. What it doesn't prove is the cause of that sludge. So let's see how this thread plays out, and will the topic starter over at the Oildropserver, Chargedup, let us know if he determines the root cause, or just passes the problem to someone else.

TB

Guest MikeVTA

Guys, I agree with you and think that if you maintain your car, you won't have these problems. HOWEVER, Toyotas seem more likely to sludge then other engines. Have you ever noticed we don't here of other brands having sludge problems? I think it is a design flaw. Of course Toyota won't admit it bc it's money out of there pocket but lets be realistic here. PC wont' either. At most, I won't say for sure that it is a Toyota problem only, but I do think it has something to do with there design.

Guest Paul Cherubini

Mike, the sludge activists bend over backwards to show us pictures of sludged engines, but never ever show us pictures of service receipts proving the engines sludged despite timely oil changes and other required maintenance services. They've had 3 years to show Dateline and 60 minutes investigative reporters the service receipts and still have failed to come through.

Guest MikeVTA

I agree Paul, and I'm not convinced it's the engine. I am on the fence with this one.

Guest sx460
I agree Paul, and I'm not convinced it's the engine. I am on the fence with this one.

I agree too, with both of you. I mean at least I'd like to agree because I sure as heck don't want this to happen to my car. It's pictures like these that make me strongly consider dumping Castrol GTX for Mobil1. But I change the oil every 3,000 (about every 1 - 2 months for me) and so I'm at low risk of this happening. :)

Synthetic all the way, and more often if you drive mostly short distances. My local Toyota dealer's lube center offers Mobil1 (albeit twice the cost as dino oil) and after hearing enough successful testimonials it made me a believer. As someone mentioned in another thread of the same topic, synth lacks the paraffins and asphalts found in dino oil which are the key elements in sludge.

Edited by Bodhisattva

Guest rev_rock

bfunkera, you're not going to kick me off here for driving a Prizm are you? :P

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil. I use Amsoil faithfully in my Geo, as well as my 2003 Dodge Ram (and no, I'm not an Amsoil dealer!). I've used Castrol in the past, and found that it starts looking sort of brown and carmelized in a short period of time. I've also used Mobil1 with good results. If I didn't use Amsoil, I'd go with the Mobil1. Seems to run clean, minimizing the gunk that leads to sludge buildup. My son uses it all the time and is very happy with it. I just think that Amsoil is the best thing going. I got into using it because my truck requires special auto trans fluid, and the only thing you can use is Dodge fluid, or Amsoil. The Amsoil's also synthetic, and seems to run cooler, so I'm hooked.

Edited by rev_rock