Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

I've got a 2001 LE automatic.

The best I ever got was 34 MPG (city)

The worst was 28 MPG (city)

I usually fillup with 89 octane gas.

kathy we're pretty much identical, 29-33mpg here.

In reply to how many mpg/kpl....I'm getting good mileage, but can't understand why people ask questions having to say the word "like" about twice every sentence. What is wrong with our kids now that they have to use the work "like" about every second word??? My step daughter is in law school and I know It's gotta hurt her as I can't see a real lawyer using "like" as every second word.

Guest dboy

My MPG isn't so good. Mainly my fault with my bad driving habits and lack of care for the car's internals. But, I'm trying to be a lot more gentle and easier and I have been getting my car back up to par. default_sleep

@muzak

I don't understand what your point is! I quick word search of this entire thread found six instances of the word 'like', and only one of those used in a slang context...

To keep this post on-topic, my 05 manual's mileage has dropped to 34mpg after lots of individual 3 mile trips and constant A/C use in the 96F heat. At $2.699/gal that's $30 to fill, so I wonder whether it's hurting the SUV owners yet...

"like" and "dude", gotta love em both. default_laugh

yah I want to get back to how it was 2yrs ago when it only took $13 to fill my car up....keep dreaming...now its $29 yet still climbing even more. Im glad I got rid of the gas guzzler truck when I did, it was fun but it really pays to have fun now.

I don't know what the hell I am doing but w00t!

Went 351.2 miles on no more than 9.9 gallons (9.870 is what the pump said)

35.5 - 35.6 MPG

Yay!

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

so wierd in the winter i get like 22mpg

right now im getting 39mpg, i commute about 30 km to work and back every day, its not in the suburbs but it aint considered country, about 5 minutes from intersection to intersection travelling at 90kph so i guess its sorta like highway driving

400km on 29 litres i consider pretty good

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

Guest KnifeEdge_2K1

in the owners manual it says the corolla has a 50L tank, but when the needle is on the 3/4 mark i only need to fill about 33 litres, i know that manufacturers put a bit of a safety margin on these things but holy crap a 15 L safety margin ??? id rather have a more accurate guage

I did an experiment recently:

We have a customer which is about a 160 mile round trip up Route 15 from the shop, and the trip is about 99% highway. I had two service calls there recently.

The first, I filled up at my usual pump in the usual way, and drove up Route 15 with the AC on the whole time, going between 70 and 75 when I could, 60-65 when I couldn't. I wasn't paticularly careful of the gas pedal, and let her rip a couple times. I got about 39.5 MPG on this trip.

This week, I filled up at my usual pump in the usual way, and drove up Route 15 with the AC off and the windows up (it was about 72'F out today, pretty nice). I never exceeded 65 even if I could, and drove 50-55 where I wasn't a traffic hazard. I was very careful with the gas pedal, and had the cruise control on for the majority of the time. I was nowhere past 1/4 of the throttle at any moment. I got 45.9 MPG today, about 15% better.

G

How the hell does someone manage 46 MPG in a Corolla, wtf?

How the hell does someone manage 46 MPG in a Corolla, wtf?

Tailwinds are the best way. I once got over 55mpg after 3 days in a row of having a 15+ mph tailwind on my freeway commute in the morning... then the wind turned and pushed me home.

Otherwise, steady 55-60mph crusing can do it too. Mostly you have to remember to average 2 or 3 tanks together to factor out top-off error. not ever pump nozzle will cut off at exactly the same level each time. You can have an error up ot 0.5 gallons.

Jesus, if I ever got above 40 MPG I think I would faint.

I'm using all synthetic fluids, Lube Control & Fuel Power, synthetic MTL from Specialty Formulations, Mobil1 5W30. Supposedly both FP and LC help boost mileage, synthetic oil & MTL help...I have a TRD washable filter...

I think its a whole bunch of little things, combined with very conservative driving. I almost decided not to exceed 60 MPH but couldn't bring myself to not at least do the speed limit: like Cherry said, drag and aerodynamics really help or hurt a car. Slower = better MPG (to a point, probably around 50 MPH in 5th).

55mpg. omg. omg. that is awesome. how did you get so lucky?

the most i have gotten in 42 mpg and that's the only time it crossed 40. usually i get around 33 with mostly city driving and around 37 with mostly highway.

You can easily get over 40mpg if you cruise on the highway at 55mph.

But compared to my usual highway speed of 75mph, the journey would take 1 hour more for every 200 miles traveled...

Guest boomerdogg

Very consistantly get 32MPG on my 2004 Corolla S.

How come I never get more than 30MPG from my 99?!

Guest boomerdogg

I am a pretty modest driver, mainly that i dont accelerate fast. I know a lot of people tend to stand on the throttle as soon as a light turns green. I think that might be helping me a bit. I actually only work about 3 miles from my works so dont do a lot of freeway miles except on the weekends.

Ti-Jean

First fill up since June 25th and first time above the psychological 1 buck/liter threshold.

633 km = 42.03 liters = 6.64l/100 km or exactly 34 MPG (USG). That came to $45.35 Cdn at $1.079/liter. All city and suburban driving, no trips longer than 20 km (average about 10 km) and AC on most of the time.

The low fuel light had been on since about 600 km.

I'm afraid gas will be even more expensive in the near future, in the wake of Katrina, depending on how much damage to the rigs, pipelines, refineries, roads, and major ports along the gulf.

28.5 on a 1987 toyota corolla with 213,000 miles on it.. think that is kinda good in 60% highway, 40% city..

I think it is too. its certainly not bad mileage for an 18yr old car thats for sure.

We should all see a increase in fuel economy because clean fuel standards have been lifted so we can produce fuel faster to help make up for the missing production. The gas shouldn't have as much stuff added to it and it should be missing Ethenol. It will have more sulfer in it, so your tail pipe will stink more and you might want to change your fuel filter sooner.

I don't think the ethanol content will change since it helps improve the problems with refining capacity. You don't need oil or refineries to make ethanol... except diesel for the tractors that harvest the corn and trucks that transport it.

The main reason is the fact that some areas don't require "clean" fuel, so refineries had to produce 2 different fuels. This changeover reduces their capacity.

I think this is a little game being played by Bush. The clean fuel is more expeinsive to produce and difficult top produce and has a lower margin. It may also have tighter quality standards so scrape rates may be higher.

But ethanol may be removed because the oil companies don't get any benefit finaincilly from adding it because theyu don't make it. It's just another expense to them.

We actually need more flexible fuel vehicles that run on E85 and more states offering 10% blend. Since Ethanol in most states doesn't have tax on it, it's also cheapero in many cases. IN Iowa, midgrade with 10% ehtanol is usually cheaper than regular.

We can't get gas without 10% ehtanol in the city. While it doesn't really matter with our Corolla, but I have a 92 Turbo car and it doesn't like gas with 10% ethanol gas. I get knock and I'm going to end up getting bigger fuel injectors. It's either that or I gotta pay for 100 octane unleaded racing fuel. I hope to be moving to Indiana again soon and I'll have access to Sunoco 94 again. E85 is rated at 105 octane, but I don't see why cars would get less fuel economy with it then 87 pump.

Topic List