Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

by toyota81, April 8, 2005

See every reply in these pages:

Guest tyler98ve

I average about 28 city/ 34 highway in my corolla. But, its made no difference the last two months, since I bought a new motorcycle default_biggrin a Suzuki GS500 whichs gets about 38-40mpg with my driving habits.

Come to think of it, my corolla has been on the same tank of gas for about 4 weeks now..

My last tank lasted me from 06/06/05 - 07/04/05. default_smile

I used 9.709 gallons to travel 319.5 miles which is 32.9 MPG (my highest yet). I do mostly city driving.

Ti-Jean

My last tank lasted me from May 7th til June 25th. 6 weeks and just below the halfway mark.

29.82 liters for 440 km = 6.78l/100 km or 41.7 mi/Imp gal.

Guest djhellan

30 mpg, 70% City 30% Highway

Stock 3TC/EA72 1980 Rolla Wagon

Just went on a roadtrip. Got 472 miles from 10.8 gallons = 43.7 mpg! Car is an 05 manual (with electronic throttle if that helps). A/C was on constantly and I was mostly cruising at 55 mph (the limit).

For some other tanks under city driving I got 37.2 and 35.1 mpg.

Damn I don't know how you guys get so high.

I went 327.3 miles on 9.357 gallons of gas. I got about 35 MPG (34.98 MPG to be exact).

My car is 12.4 years old and still performs to EPA mileage.

I used the A/C three times on low – longest I had it on was for about 45 minutes.

Revved the car to 5,000 RPMs three times, and 6,000 RPMs once.

default_tongue

Slugger:

The reason why you get such good mileage on your old Prizm is because it is so super clean and highly polished that the air just whizzes right past it!

Slugger:

The reason why you get such good mileage on your old Prizm is because it is so super clean and highly polished that the air just whizzes right past it!

Just shows you how much more they have improved fuel economy in 10 years. /sarcasm.

Gasoline cars only.

Guest breadbin

I average out at about 45mpg. It is a '99 2.0L Diesel Corolla Van. It is extremely light and usually just me and the dog along a good stretch of road into work. 30 litres will definitely do me the week in and out to work which is 300 miles. Long may it last. default_biggrin

I average out at about 45mpg. It is a '99 2.0L Diesel Corolla Van.

I am jealous! Where are you from? I'm guessing UK or Australia

I didn't know Toyota made (present or past) diesel cars.

I am very jealous! By "van" do you mean a station wagon (estate car)?

Guest corolla96

I average out at about 45mpg. It is a '99 2.0L Diesel Corolla Van. It is extremely light and usually just me and the dog along a good stretch of road into work. 30 litres will definitely do me the week in and out to work which is 300 miles. Long may it last. default_biggrin

That is nice. My 96 corolla DX 1.8L gets me 30 miles consistantly for last 5 years. Most of the driving is city around 15-20 miles each way. My wife drove for 6 months to her work place which is only 3 miles, mine was getting around 10 miles per gallon, i know most of the gas was gone in the wind

I average out at about 45mpg. It is a '99 2.0L Diesel Corolla Van.

I am jealous! Where are you from? I'm guessing UK or Australia

I didn't know Toyota made (present or past) diesel cars.

They even make diesel corollas! Check out http://www.toyota.co.uk/ There are 1.4 and 2.0 liter diesels with fuel economy we can only dream of. I just wish they would offer them on this continent :-(

Yeah I would love to have my car in diesel. There would be greater low end torque so it would probably be faster and I would probably get twice the miles per gallon, but the US is probably pushing towards low emissions, i.e., the Prius.

2004 Corolla 5spd with many mods; 41 mpg(imp) (34 mpg us) 75% city/25% hwy. By the way, here's an easy metric conversion:

Canada and UK: Kms/litres x 2.825 = MPG (imp)

For USA gallons: Kms/litres x 2.354 = MPG (us)

Guest mott8900

I have a 2005 S with an automatic. Out of the first 5 tanks the lowest was 35.6 and the highest was 38.4 MPG. I drive 75% highway and run the air going to work in the afternoon. I also keep my tires about at 32 PSI vs 30 placarded on the inside of the door (44PSI max on the tire). This sure beats my previous vehicle but nothing will touch my good ole 88 CRX HF model that Honda advertised 56 Highway 50 city and that car really did it. I didn't have air or power anything on that car so I guess that helped.

MOTT

Filled up today:

I went 314.0 miles on 9.217 gallons of gas. That's 34.1 MPG.

Moderate A/C usage 75% Highway/25% City.

My last 6 tanks of gas have been:

1. 32.1 MPG (05/05/05)

2. 32.3 MPG (05/18/05)

3. 31.7 MPG (06/06/05)

4. 32.9 MPG (07/04/05)

5. 35.0 MPG (07/20/05)

6. 34.1 MPG (08/07/05)

<3 My 1993 Geo Prizm LSi 5 SPD Manual.

=]

Guest AncientCorolla

1994 LE Corolla with 150,000 mileage. Usually gets around 29-31 mpg. The mpg has a lot to do with my driving behavior and wind resistant.

Our 05 kept getting worse and worse and then we got 32MPG on a tank and I was starting to get upset about it. Before complaining about it, I wanted to try a different gas station. I filled up at Sams Club and our last tank was 39MPG!!!!! I will need a few more tanks to get long turn numbers, but I went 390 miles and filled up just a hair over 10 gallons. The gas light had been on for maybe 15-20 miles or so.

If you arn't getting the right fuel milage and tune up's and tire pressure isn't helping, try a different gas station.

have you had the brakes checked for dragging?

have you had the brakes checked for dragging?

On the 05? If so, then no. I can take it out of gear and coast a long way. No strange noises, everything is smooth. The car only has about 5,500 miles on it.

We had been filling up at a Speedway that was really close to home. I think the gas is just crap. Or maybe the tanks are too old. I think we will just drive farther and get better gas. The car got 37MPG on a trip out of town when the engine was new, then it just started going down. I'll post more long term results if better gas is making that big of a difference, but we went from 32MPG to 39MPG just from using a different gas station.

Could also be how they boost the octane of that particular gasoline.

I switched to several stations and they roughly give me the same fuel economy. But last several fillups - I'm been filling up with premium and seeing consistently better mileage on the range of at least 15-20% better for the same driving conditions.

Might have something to do with the amount of miles on the motor or just how they mix the gas - but the car does run better on the expensive mix. Solved the intermittent EVAP problem that I have been having since the car was new - no real fix (EVAP system checks out - several trips to dealers and other import mechanics and my own troubleshooting). Problem with the purge control solenoid/valve has become plugged (liquid gas in one of the lines - charcoal canister is OK) - problem goes away once the fuel evaporates.

Some gas stations cheat the metered fuel too. We might have been paying for more gallons then we were getting.

It's hard to say why we got the sudden increase, but I'm going to stick with what works.

Does the Corolla have a knock sensor? I've heard that newer cars can take advantage of high octane even tho they can run on 87.

Gas stations cheating is a real problem. I'm not sure how wide spread it is, but I know for a fact it happens. I once pumped more fuel then my tank held. Opps. So of any of you are way off from EPA ratings and you've checked the obvious, try changing gas stations.

yes they have the knock sensor.

35.1 mpg: 60% highway @ ~70 mph and 40% city.

Well, we filled up already cause we went on a road trip. We got abouts 38MPG, but the trunk was full, and the car had two people and a dog and we had the AC on the whole time, and we drove kind of fast. I was kind of sick, made three stops, and I was following some fast people to make up some time and had the car at 85MPH at times.

A 05 5sp can get the 41MPG EPA ratings for sure. We stop and filled up with 89 octane in Iowa cause they sell 89 with ethenal cheaper then 87?!?! because the 87 doesn't have ethenal. I can't get gas without ethenal in Chicagoland, so whatever. I'm going to drive back a little slower and see if we can't break 41MPG. I think it can be done.

I'm REALLY starting to like our Corolla. Gas is 2.69 where we live right now. I'm starting to see SUVs and trucks drive under the speed limit. Not sure how long the gas prices will go on, but I hope they break at some point. I never thought I would see a $28 fill up in a Corolla before.

Topic List