Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By montreal, March 29, 2005

Does your engine sound exactly like this when cold(read post first)?  

1. 1. Does your engine sound exactly like this when cold(read post first)?

• Yes, mine sounds exactly like the recording
    • No
    • Yes, but it sounds different

See every reply in these pages:

I also have the same problem. I've been chasing it for 3 and a half years now, but am getting nowhere with either Toyota Canada or any of the dealerships I've been to. Has anybody other than montreal had any luck getting a fix?

I brought it up with my dealer when my car was under the powertrain warranty and they claimed that nothing was wrong with the car. When the user Montreal posted about his fix, my car was well over 100,000 kms, so any TSB that would have been issued, I would have to pay for out of pocket. I posted a vid of that my car does, it's not as bad as other examples I have seen as my rev-up-down repetition is slow.

After my dealings with Toyota Canada and my dealership in trying to get them to take ownership of defects and trying to get powertrain components fixed under warranty, I have given up any hope that my delear or Toyota Canada will help in fixing any issues with my car, including this idling issue.

I've only owned my '03 for a month, but I've never heard eratic revving like that from mine when it's cold. Mine just goes to about 2000RPM for about a minute then drops to about 900. Mind you, it's not very often when it gets to much below -6 degrees in Vancouver..

Well, I emailed Toyota Canada (again) and told them about the software update that was installed in Quebec at Spinelli Toyota on February 9, 2007. This was Toyota's response:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Toyota Canada Inc. is not aware of any common concerns as described in

your e-mail, as such we are unable to make suggestions or

recommendations. As you can appreciate, we are unable to provide a diagnosis

through the medium of correspondence.

As well, we would like to mention that intermittent conditions may be

difficult to diagnose if they are not experienced first-hand by the

service staff. We can only suggest that you discuss this directly with the

Service Manager at your Toyota dealership. Should they require

technical assistance, they may contact Toyota Canada directly.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Very frustrating to say the least.

Guest TomJan

Well, I emailed Toyota Canada (again) and told them about the software update that was installed in Quebec at Spinelli Toyota on February 9, 2007. This was Toyota's response:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Toyota Canada Inc. is not aware of any common concerns as described in

your e-mail, as such we are unable to make suggestions or

recommendations. As you can appreciate, we are unable to provide a diagnosis

through the medium of correspondence.

As well, we would like to mention that intermittent conditions may be

difficult to diagnose if they are not experienced first-hand by the

service staff. We can only suggest that you discuss this directly with the

Service Manager at your Toyota dealership. Should they require

technical assistance, they may contact Toyota Canada directly.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Very frustrating to say the least.

Hy I`m another of these unhappy owners. But thanks to Montreal we have a hope to resolve this problem.

I`m gonna ask all dealers in Toronto about that. I hope we`ll be lucky as well as Montreal.

Hy I`m another of these unhappy owners. But thanks to Montreal we have a hope to resolve this problem. I`m gonna ask all dealers in Toronto about that. I hope we`ll be lucky as well as Montreal.

Let us know if you have any luck with the dealers. I suspect you'll have the problem I've been having. I think the problem is that the dealers only know what Toyota Canada tells them and Toyota Canada isn't sharing, at least not yet.

Having given up on the dealers, I've been concentrating on hammering Toyota Canada with emails. They escalated by case last week and I got a call today saying that there is a TSB for this condition - TSB 2754. They couldn't give me too many details about the TSB, but it was released recently, the problem description is cold idle surging in sub-zero temperatures and the remedy is to update the calibration data for the ECU. This TSB is covered under the emissions warranty - 96 months or 130,000 km.

Was at my dealer this morning to pick up a part.

They have the TSB here in Raleigh, NC.

Number is EG022-07 and covered under 96 month/80,000 mile emissions warranty in the US. Its description is that it corrects "hunting idle" after start in cold weather.

Made appointment to have the ECU reflash done Monday morning.

Many thanks for the info on the TSB. Have had this nuisance since I bought the 5-speed CE new in 2002.

Just picked my Corolla up.

Not cold today, so can't judge correction yet. Engine performance seems a bit peppier, so the fix hasn't caused any ill effects.

So far, so good.

My appointment to have the ECU reflash done is on Wednesday morning.

Here'a a link to a copy of the Canadian TSB. It applies only to 03/04 Corolla/Matrix with a manual transmission.

http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forum/attachm...mp;d=1179462625

Thanks for the link. It's exactly what I needed. Best part is that it's under the longer emissions warranty which I'm still under. Nice!

Won't know if it made a difference until winter I guess.

Mine used to "hunt" on mildly chilly days all year.

None since the TSB.

Better pickup too. Must have solved a few glitches by bringing the ECU up to level.

I have updated the first paragraph of the first post of this thread to draw attention to the recent bulletin which solves this problem: Toyota TSB2754.

Bikeman982

Should help a lot more people than Toyota would care to admit.

Should help a lot more people than Toyota would care to admit.

The other day I was in for my checkup and the service manager told me that there had been 6 other cars that had their ECUs re-flashed by him since he did mine last February.

What a surprise to me since when I first brought my issue to the attention of the former service manager in February 2005, he said at the time that no one else had complained during the previous 3 years that this generation had been on the market.

I still think the number of cars affected is under a few percent of the fleet, else the problem would have showed up much earlier during development and been quickly solved before going to production.

Wow, I haven't been here in ages and the first thing I find is that this thread is still alive and the problem now has a fix. Interesting Mine still hunts but still doesn't bother me. It now has a new annoying sound which needs fixing though default_sad

Anyway, congrats on getting toyota to do something.

Bikeman982

Wow, I haven't been here in ages and the first thing I find is that this thread is still alive and the problem now has a fix. Interesting Mine still hunts but still doesn't bother me. It now has a new annoying sound which needs fixing though default_sad

Even though the car running as it does doesn't bother you, it would be good to get it fixed per the TSB.

Even though the car running as it does doesn't bother you, it would be good to get it fixed per the TSB.

Yes, it gave my car more pep and better gas mileage too.

Bikeman982

It has to affect cold weather operating conditions as well.

Better to have it taken care of, than just letting it continue.

friendly_jacek

The fix is for manual tranny only, right?

I think I heard the hunting only once in mine but it's automatic.

The fix is for manual tranny only, right?

I think I heard the hunting only once in mine but it's automatic.

Manual only.

Guest Petrov

I have had this issue since about the 100,000 mark in the life of the car. (2003 Corolla Manual) The problem surfaces when the car has been sitting in the cold for a few hours. Upon starting it rev's up gradually to 2500rpm, then drops down. Rev's up to 2500 RPM, and drops down. It feels like the engine is hitting some cutoff point at 2500RPM, and compensating for the issue. I have spent money to fix this issue and have had no results. At $250.00 a pop, I gave up. As well, I have seen other "toyota's" at the gas station pumps with the same problem!

It would be nice if Toyota took the bull by the horns and handed this issue over to engineering to resolve. The guys at the repair can only change parts. Might consider another vehicle on my next purchase if this is a known unfixable ignored problem

I have had this issue since about the 100,000 mark in the life of the car. (2003 Corolla Manual) The problem surfaces when the car has been sitting in the cold for a few hours. Upon starting it rev's up gradually to 2500rpm, then drops down. Rev's up to 2500 RPM, and drops down. It feels like the engine is hitting some cutoff point at 2500RPM, and compensating for the issue. I have spent money to fix this issue and have had no results. At $250.00 a pop, I gave up. As well, I have seen other "toyota's" at the gas station pumps with the same problem!It would be nice if Toyota took the bull by the horns and handed this issue over to engineering to resolve. The guys at the repair can only change parts. Might consider another vehicle on my next purchase if this is a known unfixable ignored problem

As far as I know this has been resolved with the TSB that was mentioned in this thread. I had the same issue with my 2003 Corolla Manual, but mine would drop down from 3,000 RPM. Very annoying, but I lived with it until I was sent the TSB by a forum member (thanks oxymoron!). Printed the sucker out and had the dealer do a reflash and voila!, issue is completely gone this winter.

I was cutting it close with my km's as I had 120,000ish kms and the emissions warranty is covered until 130,000. Print out the TSB and get your dealer to fix it.

I have had this issue since about the 100,000 mark in the life of the car. (2003 Corolla Manual) The problem surfaces when the car has been sitting in the cold for a few hours. Upon starting it rev's up gradually to 2500rpm, then drops down. Rev's up to 2500 RPM, and drops down. It feels like the engine is hitting some cutoff point at 2500RPM, and compensating for the issue. I have spent money to fix this issue and have had no results. At $250.00 a pop, I gave up. As well, I have seen other "toyota's" at the gas station pumps with the same problem!It would be nice if Toyota took the bull by the horns and handed this issue over to engineering to resolve. The guys at the repair can only change parts. Might consider another vehicle on my next purchase if this is a known unfixable ignored problem

As far as I know this has been resolved with the TSB that was mentioned in this thread. I had the same issue with my 2003 Corolla Manual, but mine would drop down from 3,000 RPM. Very annoying, but I lived with it until I was sent the TSB by a forum member (thanks oxymoron!). Printed the sucker out and had the dealer do a reflash and voila!, issue is completely gone this winter.

I was cutting it close with my km's as I had 120,000ish kms and the emissions warranty is covered until 130,000. Print out the TSB and get your dealer to fix it.

Yep, get the TSB done to fix this annoying cold weather behavior.

Topic List