Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Navigation Install In 2003 Corolla

by Nick 06 tC September 26, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

could you angle it back so that it sits at a stock angle? then all you need is a trim peice and it'll look just like OEM default_smile

I cant angle it at all. It wouldnt fit right and then the cds/dvds would be on an angle and that would be bad for it. I am going to fiberglass a trim piece so it looks oem.

Looking good - always like pics default_biggrin Can't wait for a DIY.

Looks like a really tight fit - but at least it is in there. At least there is a little bit of a gap top and bottom, so that you make something to fit in there and cover the gaps (fiberglass, plastic, tape, etc.)

I love pics so there will be many of them.

The fit is perfect. Just like the stock one. Mounted right in there with no jamming or cutting or anything needed. I have considered buying a single din mounting bracket and just cutting everything out of it and leaving the surround for it. It would fill in the bottom and sides and follow the contour.

I am going to look for one tomorrow. Walmart had to order it, they were out.

Got it all wired up. EXCEPT for the speed wire. What wire would I tap into for the speed sensor? It should be a wire coming from the ECU but I dont know which one.

I found away to tilt it to match the dash angle. Pretty neat features in this headunit. DIY to come.

Installed:

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9578.jpg

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9577.jpg

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9576.jpg

That is SHARP - the tilt lining up with the dash and a nice trim around it will make it look like an OEM install. Nice job. Speed wire - could just trace the sensor wire back from the top of the transmission, back to the firewall. Tapping it would be OK - I do not think there will be an impedance issue with the sensor or ECM - but can never really know for sure. I'll have to double check the pinouts for the 9th gen Corolla - I have the 8th gen variants posted in my photobucket site in my sig.

That is SHARP - the tilt lining up with the dash and a nice trim around it will make it look like an OEM install. Nice job. Speed wire - could just trace the sensor wire back from the top of the transmission, back to the firewall. Tapping it would be OK - I do not think there will be an impedance issue with the sensor or ECM - but can never really know for sure. I'll have to double check the pinouts for the 9th gen Corolla - I have the 8th gen variants posted in my photobucket site in my sig.

That would be awesome if you could find out. It should be ok to tap because the manual calls for it. Let me know about that wire tho.

I went for a quick drive and it was off a bit when coming to intersections. Checked the manual and it said without the speed wire, it will have a delay because of the GPS updating. The wire just helps it along with distance, time, speed.

Thanks for the help. And keep checking back for updates on me making a trim. I am going to start tomorrow so it can be seamless as possible.

Bikeman982

Looks great - does it play music too?

yes it does. Its a full headunit. Plays everything except dvds. But a dvd unit will take care of that. Touchscreen for everything. Pretty nice headunit.

Bikeman982

yes it does. Its a full headunit. Plays everything except dvds. But a dvd unit will take care of that. Touchscreen for everything. Pretty nice headunit.

Where would you put the DVD player?

Where would you put the DVD player?

While its in my wifes car she isnt going to have one. We only got it for navigation for her while I am deployed to Iraq. When I get back its going in my car with an xbox setup so that I can play movies and store all my music on the harddrive. I will probably tear the xbox apart, put the disk tray custom mounted in the glove box and the rest of it under the seat out of the way.

I have a 7 inch wide screen in my car now, but it doesnt have navigation. So I want this in it and once I get back my wife wont need it. Works out pretty good for me and keeps the wife happy and safe while I am gone.

But if you want it easy, you can buy an in car DVD player less than $100 and throm it in the glove box. Hook it up to one of the inputs and be good to go.

Well i found what wire to tap for the speed sensor. it works well without it, but I am going to tap it anyhow. It s a solid BLACK wire going to the ABS controller. Sends speed signal to the abs left rear. Gonna do that tomorrow.

I also mounted my GPS sensor on the trunk lid. Ran it under the carpet and to the trunk and then up the trunk hinge and to the outside. Looks clean and works perfect.

i wouldnt mess with the ABS wiring if i were you, couldnt you tap the VSS signal?

I thought the same thing but the dealership told me it would be fine. All it does is pull a sinal from the wire. So it changes nothing with the abs.

Do you know what wire is the VSS? I cant find anything online to show me. I know something has to come from the transmission to the ecu. I just dont know what wire.

I have been dieing to get one of these. Where did you get your unit and how much?

the VSS is ontop of the trans, i bet fish can get you the PCM pinout for it.

I have been dieing to get one of these. Where did you get your unit and how much?

I got it off ebay. brand new, unopened for $850

the VSS is ontop of the trans, i bet fish can get you the PCM pinout for it.

I would love to get ahold of the pinout diagram. I couldnt even find one for the ecu.

You can try tapping off the speedo cluster wire harness:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/fis...usterwiring.jpg

I have the ECM pinouts somewhere - as soon as I find it, I'll post a link to them.

You can try tapping off the speedo cluster wire harness:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/fis...usterwiring.jpg

I have the ECM pinouts somewhere - as soon as I find it, I'll post a link to them.

default_smile

Finally, this is what I have been looking for. B4 is the wire I need. Now I just need a color diagram so I know what wire is what. THANK YOU.

I just ordered mine today from Shipdog.com for $671.00 Did you do the bypass so you can use all the nav features while the car is moving? I think you just have to ground a few wires. I also found a cool website you may want to check out, Avic411 it gots lots of info on the Avic-D2

Try this for help with the wire location. Here

Try this for help with the wire location. Here

Finally. thank you so much. That is exactly what I need. Has the location and color and all.

For using all the navigation features. I found that you can pull the ebrake one click and it will unlock everything. I checked to make sure I am not riding the brakes when I do this and its all fine. I put the car in neutral and got out and gave the car a push. Then had the wife pull it one click and it was no different. I wouldnt do it for a long period of time. But if its just to search for something. it works just fine.

If you have any questions on the install. I will post more pictures for you. I took a ton of them.

The only trouble i think i'll have is trying to find a trim piece for the gap that is left. I was looking around and can not find a double din one for the corolla but i did find THIS one for the Camry. Not sure if it will fit, but it looks like maybe it will?? I will stop by CircuitCity and take a look at it.

It might fit. I am just going to make something out of fiberglass and paint it to match.

There is noway i can make one. Put up some pics when you done, I would love to see it finished. Did you install the reverse wire? If you did where is it located?

I will post up when the trim piece is done. i will probably do it this weeksince my wife works days, i will be able to work on it after work.

I didnt do the reverse wire because i am not doing a bacj up cam. As far as I know thats all it is needed for. Seams to work fine with out it, but I will hook it up when I do the speed sensor wire.

Another possibility is to send it back and get a single DIN unit.

Eclipse makes a really cool one. AVN-7000

http://www.eclipse-web.com/7000index.html

Other than getting the speed wire, once you get the harness done, it should take less than an hour to install.

The speed cable is a pain...

Oh, and one hint. There is a lead that is supposed to be connected to Park. Just ground this wire. You will be able to play with it while the vehicle is in motion.

good luck

tdk

Another possibility is to send it back and get a single DIN unit.Eclipse makes a really cool one. AVN-7000

http://www.eclipse-web.com/7000index.html

Other than getting the speed wire, once you get the harness done, it should take less than an hour to install.

The speed cable is a pain...

Oh, and one hint. There is a lead that is supposed to be connected to Park. Just ground this wire. You will be able to play with it while the vehicle is in motion.

good luck

tdk

A double din fits and looks much better so no need for a single din.

The speed wire is a cinch once you know where to find it. Its a simple crimp in.

And you cant ground the parking break wire. I did it with my jensen in my car, but the D2 is much harder to bypass. You cant just ground it out. It knows. And will lock everything out.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)