Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Navigation Install In 2003 Corolla

by Nick 06 tC September 26, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

New here and nice site.

My wife has a 2003 Toyota Corolla CE. I got the Pioneer AVIC D-2 double din navigation for her. SHE SUCKS WITH DIRECTIONS. And I will be deployed for 8 months so it was a must. Should be here this week.

Now I am wondering how the mounting is? I know in my scion it uses the stock mounting bracket. But not sure with the corolla.

So how is it mounted and does anyone have pictures? If it doesnt use the facory brackets, can I modify a single din and use that? I am pretty handy but want this simple if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Bikeman982

New here and nice site.My wife has a 2003 Toyota Corolla CE. I got the Pioneer AVIC D-2 double din navigation for her. SHE SUCKS WITH DIRECTIONS. And I will be deployed for 8 months so it was a must. Should be here this week.

Now I am wondering how the mounting is? I know in my scion it uses the stock mounting bracket. But not sure with the corolla.

So how is it mounted and does anyone have pictures? If it doesnt use the facory brackets, can I modify a single din and use that? I am pretty handy but want this simple if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Doesn't it come with installation instructions??

I would imagine it does. But mounting a headunit is not universal from car to car. I know how to do the wiring, but no headunit is the same in every single car, so that wont be in the instructions. Aftermarket headunits usually take mounting kits to make them fit, and trim pieces to make it look correct.

call up a local audio shop and ask them if theyve ever put a double din in a corolla of your year.

• 1,424 posts
call up a local audio shop and ask them if theyve ever put a double din in a corolla of your year.

They don't make a kit to convert the opening in a 2003 or later Corolla into a Double DIN opening. The opening isn't Double DIN to begin with, it's smaller. The only way to make a Double DIN unit fit into a 2003 or later Corolla is to custom install it using specially fabricated brackets and to cut portions of the dash out so it will fit. This is neither easy, cheap or reversible. If one doesn't feel confident that they can do a custom install like this themselves, then they should let a professional do it.

They don't make a kit to convert the opening in a 2003 or later Corolla into a Double DIN opening. The opening isn't Double DIN to begin with, it's smaller. The only way to make a Double DIN unit fit into a 2003 or later Corolla is to custom install it using specially fabricated brackets and to cut portions of the dash out so it will fit. This is neither easy, cheap or reversible. If one doesn't feel confident that they can do a custom install like this themselves, then they should let a professional do it.

Thank you for the info. This sucks. I just looked at it and assumed it was a double din. It looks the same size as my car. Guess I should have researched this more. I will let you guys know how this turns out. I will probably just modify her dash and mount it.

Bikeman982

If it is going to be a permanent thing for her car - you will have to permanently modify the dash.

Once you start cutting - it is changed forever (or at least as long as you have the car and don't replace the dash).

Yeah, that shouldnt be a problem tho. I will do it correctly and make it look right. I am fairly handy with a car. I have done ALL the work on my own including bodywork:

Bikeman982

Yeah, that shouldnt be a problem tho. I will do it correctly and make it look right. I am fairly handy with a car. I have done ALL the work on my own including bodywork:

If you use photobucket you can save your image by clicking on the picture(s) you want to use, then click on the bottom of the page that says "Generate HTML and IMG image", then copy and paste to your post. Use the one that says "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended". Hope that helps.

Example;

you dont need the IMG tags guys, just the image url.

This is the firs site I have seen that doesnt allow pictures in the posts. Weird.

Well I did some research and it should fit. Double din fits in a 4 inch high opening. My wifes is about 4 1/4 so it will be fine. Width is more than enough.

Not positive, but it measures corect.

• 1,424 posts
This is the firs site I have seen that doesnt allow pictures in the posts. Weird.

Well I did some research and it should fit. Double din fits in a 4 inch high opening. My wifes is about 4 1/4 so it will be fine. Width is more than enough.

Where did you measure the height? The reason I ask is that the opening isn't a rectangle. If you measure the height from the middle of the existing faceplate, you're getting a false sense of how tall the opening is. If you look carefully, you'll see that the corners of the stereo aren't square, but radiused. This means that when you try to put a square unit in the opening it won't fit at the corners. You'll need to take off the radio bezel and trim the corners so they're truly square before your unit will fit.

Where did you measure the height? The reason I ask is that the opening isn't a rectangle. If you measure the height from the middle of the existing faceplate, you're getting a false sense of how tall the opening is. If you look carefully, you'll see that the corners of the stereo aren't square, but radiused. This means that when you try to put a square unit in the opening it won't fit at the corners. You'll need to take off the radio bezel and trim the corners so they're truly square before your unit will fit.

I will check that when the wife gets home. I might have to trim a tad, but should be much. I will probably trim. THen put the unit in, and fiberglass to make it seamless.

Bikeman982

I think with some good trimming and also sime fine sanding, you can make it fit and still look good.

i had to trim around the dash to get my stereo trim ring to fit correctly. i painted the ring and false face of the unit to match the interior almost and it blends in well. the fit between the ring and dash is very tight and looks almost like it came that way...except that the stereo sticks out some.

Bikeman982

i had to trim around the dash to get my stereo trim ring to fit correctly. i painted the ring and false face of the unit to match the interior almost and it blends in well. the fit between the ring and dash is very tight and looks almost like it came that way...except that the stereo sticks out some.

Sometimes that's what it takes to get it to fit. Good to hear that you got it to match the dash.

Sticking out (depends on how far) is not too bad of a problem.

You put in a double din headunit? Happen to have any pictures? I got my pioneer d2 in the mail today but the wife works till 830pm. Interested in seeing how you did it? How did you mount everything?

no, not a double din and not even the correct gen of corolla.

Bikeman982

Each generation Corolla has a different dash. What works for one car may not for another. You would have to do some measuring and then some custom trimming.

lined everything up last night. Looks like the trim around the sterao and vents is a seperate pice. I am going to go and buy a new one tonight along with a wiring harness. I will trim the new one and mold it to fit correctly. Probably use some fiberglass and paint to match it perfect. That way when we take the unit out of her car I can put the old headunit and dash trim back in with no problems. Doesnt look like it will be to hard to do. Just have to trim off the top piece and it SHOULD fit.

We shall see default_blink

Bikeman982

lined everything up last night. Looks like the trim around the sterao and vents is a seperate pice. I am going to go and buy a new one tonight along with a wiring harness. I will trim the new one and mold it to fit correctly. Probably use some fiberglass and paint to match it perfect. That way when we take the unit out of her car I can put the old headunit and dash trim back in with no problems. Doesnt look like it will be to hard to do. Just have to trim off the top piece and it SHOULD fit.

We shall see default_blink

Let us know how it turns out.

Maybe you can take some "before" and "after" pictures?

I love pictures, so I will do a full write up of what I do. I am going to go start in a few minutes.

My last post was at 815, and I got dressed and went outside. Its now 947. AND ITS IN!!!

The hardest part is getting the stock headunit out. Would have been easier if I had of known that the center piece had to come out. I will write a full detailed with pictures DIY later on today after I wire everything up.

I have to wire it up still and run the GPS unit. Then I will get some memory foam and fit it around the edges and attempt to make a fiberglass trim to fill in the gap. The wife said she doesnt mind it the way it is because its only for 8 months. But I want to do it the correct way. I will probably paint the trim black to match the unit.

Here are some pictures:

Getting started

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9467.jpg

Tore apart

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9476.jpg

Test fit

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9478.jpg

Brackets

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9479.jpg

In place

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9480.jpg

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9483.jpg

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9481.jpg

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/nick...ll/IMG_9482.jpg

What does everyone think?

could you angle it back so that it sits at a stock angle? then all you need is a trim peice and it'll look just like OEM default_smile

Looking good - always like pics default_biggrin Can't wait for a DIY.

Looks like a really tight fit - but at least it is in there. At least there is a little bit of a gap top and bottom, so that you make something to fit in there and cover the gaps (fiberglass, plastic, tape, etc.)

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)