Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Kind Of A Person Drives A Corolla?

by 112263, August 18, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Guest chickmagnet869

18 year old white guy (mechanical engineering student) who got it from Mom cuz she got a new car. I modded it out a good bit and it'll blow the doors off of any stock corolla, besides the RWD 86ish corollas and 05 corolla XRS. Extremely reliable. I used to rag the dogpiss out of it and it still runs like it's brand new. Very high rated in "Consumer Reports". I reccommend everyone subscribes to that, by the way. Best investment you'll make. Second would be buying a corolla.

Guest rev_rock

Guest rev_rock

Does my Geo Prizm count?

I actually didn't intend to buy a 'Corolla'. I had a 1988 Ford Festiva that I had just put a 1.6 liter Mazda 323 motor in (it came with a 1.3!!). The car was VERY quick, needless to say. I was ready to give it a paint job and put new wheels on it, when an idiot (drunk!) ran into it in my own driveway! It was totalled, so I had to start looking for something else, since it was my 'work' car. A 'Corolla' was the last thing on my mind, but every car I looked at had a zillion miles on it, and cost a fortune! I saw this Geo in a Camera Ad magazine, and decided to call. It had 78,000 miles on it, and they wanted less than $3k for it. I went and checked it out, liked it, and bought it for $2700. I've not regretted it.

As for my demographics, I'm 45 years young, shoulder-length hair, an ordained minister (hence my screen name), working toward my Masters degree in Theology, married for 25 years, one child (a 22 year old son), listen to EXTREME Christian Metal music, work at a prison, own a 2003 Dodge Ram, like to camp and fish, a gun owner who loves to shoot, and last but not least, I sell Avon (don't knock it, it pays for the Dodge, and then some!). How's that for variety?!?! default_tongue

Guest ChoBaka

I've read in other places too that the main drivers of Corollas tend to be females and Asians. Maybe so many single white males who are quite young have been posting here because that's the main demographic that comes to this website. Or maybe it's because the redesign of the Corolla has made it more popular among single/young/white males.

As for me, I'm a 23 year old Asian male graduate student. I bought an 05 LE for its fuel economy, ride comfort, and non-descript looks. I know I won't be impressing any girls with this car, but being a grad student I can't afford to. default_wink

I was actually debating buying a Civic LX...I was in negotiations for one with a blue exterior with just stock options. Dealer would not go below $15400 for it, and I got the Corolla for 250 bucks less including ABS, cruise, 6-cd 6-speaker, side/curtain airbags, all weather, and floor mats. I liked driving the Civic a tad bit better, but the Corolla isn't bad either. However, the driver's seat was a little uncomfortable for me (I'm tall at 6'2"). For best comfort, I have to take off my shoes so my knee won't bump into the steering wheel. That kinda sucks and makes me (sometimes) wish I had gotten a Civic, but I can deal with it.

I expect to buy a mid-size sedan like a passat, Accord, Camry, etc when I get a job. I'll give this Corolla to my mom or my sister (they'll be very comfortable in the driver's seat).

I'm a 26-year-old, Asian female (electrical engineer) who encouraged her parents to buy a Corolla after years of watching them struggle with the Chevrolet, Fords, Pontiac, and Nissan cars while a 1982 Corolla (bought used) rarely needed repairs. Since the early 90s, my dream car has been a Corolla sedan.

The main reason is reliability. Another important reason is visibility. It seemed to us that as the sedans got sleeker with each new generation, the frames around the windows would block more of the driver's view. The 8th generation of Corolla had good visibility. Other important reasons are Fuel efficiency and low cost. It's also nice to know that the police and other drivers are less likely to be offended or attracted by the plain appearance of the Corolla. I hope thieves are also less likely to break into a Corolla.

I also like the narrow body of the Corolla. It gives me more peace of mind when driving in narrow lanes that my car always stays in the lane, unlike that huge Dodge RAM or Ford F350 with its tires on the white line only a couple of feet from the car in the neighboring lane.

When I see other Corollas on the road, I usually figure the drivers are smart and practical people who simply don't need the extra space and power of the Camry, Avalon, Lexus sedan, etc...

I have a 01 corolla sport and drive it because it is very dependible and makes a great family car. And talk about good mpg..

I have a 01 LE - love it!

This is my second Corolla and only the 4th car I've ever had - I'm middle aged too - first Corolla was a 1980 hatchback with black interior (this was my second car) - then I drove a Civic for 15 yrs (another good choice) then I had to decide on getting another Civic or a Corolla - it was between these 2 because I care about MPG and reliability - I chose the Corolla over the Civic due to a better deal from the dealership and because the Corolla had a better powertrain warranty - plus I like the interior better - plus the automatic on the Corolla was much smoother than the Civic -

The husband tried to talk me into a "nicer" car ("why don't you get leather seats?" etc) - but I stuck with my choice, and as of today gas prices are almost $2 a gallon (his SUV gets 13 mpg!) - and I almost always get 30 mpg in the city -

In 4 years of ownership, I've only had routine maintenance - except for when I had to get the blower motor replaced at about 22,000 miles - fortunately it was still under warranty so it didn't cost anything -

I just replaced my windshield wipers for the first time (I got Bosch) and I don't really expect to replace anything else except perhaps my battery and tires at some point -

Guest Kevin108

I'm 24. I'm a carpenter by trade. I have a 72 Chevelle and an 87 Chevy 4x4 Pickup w/ 35" tires. Both have 350s and are around 250 HP. Both get about 10 mpg and both end up costing me about $250 a month in gas. The truck has been my daily driver this whole time as the Chevelle is a show car. I've been paying the loan on the truck for two years, 10 months and started crunching numbers. I figured out that the monthly loan payment + gas + insurance on the truck would be more than a basic economy car that got 30 mpg. The figure I came up with DID NOT include the parts the old truck was eating, the mods I was working on, or the fluids it was leaking. I did my homework and found that for the price the Corolla had the best mileage of any of the compacts. I built one online, went to the nearest dealer, haggled for a couple hours and wound up with a better model than what I'd built and after it's all said and done, the truck is paid off and I'm paying $20 a month more to have both. The Corolla is a very comfortable car. I love having such a quiet, smooth ride, A/C, and especially cruise control.

Guest bigkahuna5000

I'm a poor poor married college student comuting about 75 miles a day to school and work. I get 36mpg!!! Thats why I drive one!!!!

I am a 42 year old white collar worker (B.Comm.).

I bought my car as a second car for me, as my wife and I were tired of accommodating each other's schedules after 2 years with a single car ('01 Chev Malibu LS). The economy, stealth and latest version of the Rolla are sweet.

My first car was a hand me down Corrolla ('79 2 dr hatch, auto) from my parents, and I loved it, but our family and myself have been pretty much GM all of the way, and usually buy new. My Dad had an '84 Accord which he said was the best car he ever owned, but he still buys GM, even though he gripes about them all of the time. Dad, Bro and I have owned over 20 GM models, new, used, leased over the past 25 years, but I am done with them.

I was disappointed in the service issues with my Malibu, and the response from GM. I doubt I will ever own another..despite their latest effort/offerings looking better.

As a second car for me, I got the 5spd I wanted, and economy was very important. Everyone knows buying a Corolla is smart......

Bikeman982

Hey 11263, looks like you called it totally wrong. I am a 51 year old white male that drives a Corolla and my wife who is 5 years younger and also white does too. My son will be driving one when he gets his liscence. Sorry to shoot you down, but you must live in the wrong neighborhood!

Ross_t

I bought a used 1998 for my daughter thinking this would be cheap reliable transportation. I drive Honda and Mazda (Miata), but really have owned many different mfg's. This is my first experience with Toyota and quite frankly, I'm very dissapointed. Far too many issues for a car under 100k miles! I definitetly will stick with Honda for future purchases.

Guest 1BADDMAX

I do not own a Corolla yet, but I am looking. I am a 26 (almost 27) year old caucasian male with a B.S. in Engineering. I currently drive a 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Diesel 6-speed. The truck is almost paid off and I want something to drive that is a little more pump friendly. I will definitely keep the truck, though.

i am a retiring(poorly that is) dentist and on a tight budget,

driving a corolla.

Guest RockinRolla

24 (since 2 wks ago) Asian college graduate seeking software development job. I got my 98 CE in high school because it is was a good small economical car for the price. That was also the year Corolla got redesigned and has a 120 hp engine. That sure beats the more expensive Civic that was also under consideration. Kinda grown attached to this car as I used it often during my college years...

I am 17 year old high school senior (will turn 18 in August) and I own a 1993 Geo Prizm LSi 5 SPD Manual:

http://pine.linuxaeolus.com/Car/2.jpg

http://pine.linuxaeolus.com/Car/Stick.jpg

My dad gave it to me last summer when I got my liscense because he bought a new car (2004 Chevy Malibu LT). This car has been excellent, no major problems, great fuel economy, and fun to drive because of the manual. I've taken it up to 5,000 RPMs with no problems, and everything is runnnig great. I am very satisfied with this car, and hope to keep it a long time. I'll be attending Fitchburg State College in the fall; majoring in Computer Information Systems.

I am 17 year old high school senior (will turn 18 in August) and I own a 1993 Geo Prizm LSi 5 SPD Manual:

http://pine.linuxaeolus.com/Car/2.jpg

http://pine.linuxaeolus.com/Car/Stick.jpg

My dad gave it to me last summer when I got my liscense because he bought a new car (2004 Chevy Malibu LT). This car has been excellent, no major problems, great fuel economy, and fun to drive because of the manual. I've taken it up to 5,000 RPMs with no problems, and everything is runnnig great. I am very satisfied with this car, and hope to keep it a long time. I'll be attending Fitchburg State College in the fall; majoring in Computer Information Systems.

man, I am more worried about your career prospects than the

prism.

Pretty tough job market out there in IT.

I wasn't going to answer, but what the heck...the thread is long enough. I'm 29 and I'm an engineer. I bought the 2003 Corolla to be my daily driver that will sip gas, be reliable and to take me around in relative comfort......the exact opposite of my 2nd car which is strictly used in a weekend/fun role, a 2nd Generation RX-7 Turbo. Hence why the Corolla will be kept stock and not one dime will be spent on mods for it....as they will be spent on the RX-7 instead! default_smile

17 year old student.. 18 in 6 weeks. Got my '94 cause my mum gave it to me when she bought her '02 SE. I'm having serious problems with my batteries though.. I think the alarm is draining it constantly, i've been through 3 in the past 2 months..

Guest RockinRolla

I'll be attending Fitchburg State College in the fall; majoring in Computer Information Systems.

prism.

OT: Tell me about it... worked 3yrs as student sysadmin in college, but just can't find a full-time job and I've been searching for a year already.

Thus forcing me to change course and try s/w development instead... default_ohmy

Louisville, hopefully things will be better and you'll have better luck when you graduate. Best wishes. default_smile

Thanks guys! I am getting experience right now because I am interning at my dad's work with the IT Department. I've met some really great people and had lots of fun! Plus, they even offered me a summer job! default_smile This internship got me out of school from April 15th to May 20th. This is the first time my school offered this internship program so it’s still being tweaked, but I am basically not in school anymore because I graduate on June 2nd. Although I am not getting paid now, I will in the summer, and this internship counts as my fourth quarter grade. I am not really angry about not getting paid because:

1. They already gave me a summer job.

2. I have friends, so in a sense I have connections.

3. My co-workers have been really helpful with giving me advice for college and the industry.

default_smile

I'll be attending Fitchburg State College in the fall; majoring in Computer Information Systems.

prism.

OT: Tell me about it... worked 3yrs as student sysadmin in college, but just can't find a full-time job and I've been searching for a year already.

Thus forcing me to change course and try s/w development instead... default_ohmy

Louisville, hopefully things will be better and you'll have better luck when you graduate. Best wishes. default_smile

this is alittle off topic here, but if you make poor career decisions in your youth

and don't change career paths early, you will only be able to afford to drive

a frugal car like a corolla, whether you like it or not.

I'm nearing 50, and wishing I could have my choices back again.

I'm a 47 year old white male. My last vehicle was a 93 Ford Explorer 4x4. The money spent on maintenance was incredible. New front brakes every 20,000 miles. Rebuilt air conditioning system. New, expensive tires every 25,000 miles. Three alternators. Leaked oil like there was no tomorrow. I read 2 years ago in the Wall Street Journal that gas was going to go up, and stay up, because 2 billion people in China and India were going to start driving. My 2005 Corolla gets 38 MPG, vs 18 MPG for the Explorer.

Bikeman982

I am a slightly biased Corolla owner (51.5 years young, caucasian) and like them for all the reasons mentioned by others. As far as a status symbol - I just don't care what the others think. They can spend their money on whatever they want and I will be just fine. I have some of the older models of Corollas and like their style. I do believe there are numerous Corolla owners who have no idea this forum exists and also some that would not care, if they knew about it. There are probably those that read it but never contribute, that's fine also. Everyone is wondeful and to each their own. I drive a Corolla and have sworn to my country to defend it and the rights and freedoms of all Americans to do what they legally want to do. That includes owning property (such as Corolla or any kind of vehicle). Maybe your poll is varied by the fact that not everyone has or uses a computer? Some of us are actually busy with school, work, or both. Too many variables in your hypothesis to formulate any definitive conclusions.

22 (23 on 3/15), white male in massachusetts. College educated (finishing up my bachelors, currently have my Associates) in Busniess Management. I just purchased a 2005 Corolla XRS. I was driving a 1999 Chevy Malibu LS with 150k on the clock, until the motor mount bracket broke. I puchased my Corolla for it's solid reputation for dependability, looks, acceleration, and ride-and-handling. I absolutely love the car so far, but have not been able to guage how much fuel I've been using as I have only used a half tank of fuel. This car is superior to my Malibu, despite the size of the vehicle. I love it so far....

-Scott default_smile

Bikeman982

I am the same guy that posted before and am glad that all you closet forum contributors are starting to come out. Identify yourselves and be proud to drive the reliable, dependable mode of transportation known as "a Corolla".

Topic List