Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Kind Of A Person Drives A Corolla?

by 112263, August 18, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

default_laugh very funny, me in a nutshell........

well, i just don't want planes flying into the opera house or the harbour bridge. keeping out of other people's business may not be humane but it saves your own butt. already the aussie embassy in indonesia has been bombed, unless we pull out of iraq its gonna be an aussie beheaded next. and i do not want that.

• 200 posts

What no mention of the infernal SUV? default_laugh

Guest RollaGirl

I'm 19 and an asian female. I have an 04 corolla S in lunar mist(silver) . My dad actually bought me the car but i chose it. The corolla never really appealed to me until 2002-03 because of the new look it has recieved. I like the sport pack it comes with.(spoiler,side skirts, front and rear lips). There are about 5 or 6 2003-2005 corolla S in my school parking lot! all of them are girls! And there are soooo many corolla CE and LE also. They are affordable to most people and a really roomy and cute car.

Guest cobrajet25

Glad you didn't take my little (or not-so-little?) rant too seriously. The best way to stop terrorists from flying planes into your admittedly wonderful opera house is to kill them before they climb into the pilot's seat. These people cannot be negotiated with, and it is "THE WEST" that they are fighting against more than any one country (they even bombed the Red Cross). Minding our own business isn't good enough, because it is not WHERE we are that angers these people, but rather WHAT we are...free, prosperous, and non-Muslim. No one is safe, and withdrawing from Iraq and burying your head in the sand unfortunately won't make you so. One of the benefits of the Iraq campaign is that it seems to be attracting terrorists like a magnet. Most of the trouble we are having there is not caused by Iraqis, but rather Jordanians, Iranians, Saudis, and Afghanis who are flooding into Iraq to fight coalition troops. I'd rather have terrorists in Iraq fighting soldiers with machine guns than have them in Sydney, New York, or London. They can have Paris, though. default_tongue Regards, Aaron

Guest jwmacleo

I'm a 22 yr old male university student in Halifax, Nova Scotia (If you are American and you don't know where that is you really should get a map). My 1996 Corolla was given to me by my parents as a wedding gift--with 300000kms on it. I plan on driving it either a) until I get a real job and can buy a newer corolla or default_cool until it blows up. It has about 330000kms on it now and I figure it is just getting worked in. Should have lots of kms left on it. Anyway, glad I could play my part in the corrolland anthropological study.

-Jeff

how to get rid of terrorists:

you could destroy all terrorist groups; al-quaeda, jamal-islamiyah, hamas etc. This is unlikely to do, but would destroy all imminent threat. But, what of the potential terrorist, i.e. someone who can be a terrorist within, say, 5 yrs. This includes all nutbars and fundamentalists of any persuasion; lets kill them to. But what of the potential fundamentalist? in, say, 5 yrs they may become a fundamentalist anything, and in another 5 that individual may become a potential terrorist. i'd say that may comprise of 20-30% of the population in some areas.

it would be best to stop that guy from getting into the pilot's seat just before he is about to do it. bush's idea that we can eliminate terrorism is BS - you cut off another head, another 50 come up, and any one of those 50 heads can be just as threatening as the head you cut off.

what to do? be thankful we woke up alive, and try to go to bed alive. one day at a time. que sera, sera, whatever will be will be.

Guest Justawind

Heyz! Well after trying to figure out if this is am anti-Kerry thread or terrorists thread thought I would chime in. I am a 29 yr old white male who just purchased a 05 CE. This is my 3rd yota now and have to say, I love em! I like the gas milage it gets, but only has 630 miles on it so its still breaking in, but all in all, a well rounded car! Also since everyone was listing professions etc, I am still working on my degree but am a certified EMT.

Guest cobrajet25

So what's YOUR solution...sit around, rub our pooka shells, smoke dope, sing kumbaya, and hope everything works out and we wake up tomorrow?! I am not saying that fighting terrorism will be easy...most things that are worth doing aren't easy. That does not mean they should not be done. The best thing we can do is keep them running...keep them on the defensive. If they are busy covering their own Asses, then they will have less time and resources to devote to cultivating new recruits. In fact, we shut down alot of traning camps and such when we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. The absolute WORST thing we can do is let terrorists think that their cowardly tactics are a legitimate way to effect change by rolling over and playing dead everytime they decide to blow something up.

I have no problem cutting off heads, and hopefully if "potential terrorists" see enough severed heads laying around they will learn to mind THEIR own business. The World Trade Centers were hit BEFORE we went into Iraq. The USS Cole was bombed BEFORE we went into Iraq. The Khobar Towers were bombed BEFORE we went into Iraq. I think that you may be forgetting who threw the first punch here. Again, these people are not protesting any foreign policy decision we made, any alliance we have, they are not after money, or territory, or anything else. They simply want us dead because we are "unclean", and are convinced beyond doubt that their god is telling them to kill us. Their credo is, "Be Muslim, or be dead." How do you deal with such people other than by killing them? Kill as many of them as it takes before they get the message. We have no other choice. "Playing possum" is not a viable option...that's exactly what we were doing on September 10th! Regards, Aaron

it would be most effective to filter out such undersirables just before they do any unsavoury acts.............better security at airports, better surveillance at critical infrastructure etc. in OZ there is still much to do - there is absolutely no security at regional airports, from which planes fly to state capitals. There is no security at warragamba dam - if someone bombs that, sydney loses its water supply, and roughly 60,000 residents of the western suburbs would die. I am all for fighting terrorism (for i am not muslim hence am one of the targets), but it will not be beaten. all that can be done is to mitigate the results terrorist groups have on our lives (i.e. actually prevent them from from blowing trains up); as long as fundamentalism of any persuasion (remember oklahoma city? right wing nut bags there...) exists there will be the potential for terrorism. regardless of what people say, i believe that the world is safer in 2004 than it was in 9/10/2001 due to the extra security that we see at banks, airports etc.

regards, shaun.

p.s. usama and saddam.........SCREW U!!

I've never owned a Toyota product until July of this year, when I took delivery of my 2004 RAV4. My wife bought her very first Toyota in June '98, a Corolla LE which she still owns today and has almost 120K miles. She's earned a BA, and I've got a vo-tech certifcate from a junior college. We're home owners, pro-life and I vote GOP.

Guest raslin

bear in mind that this forum is surrounding DIY tips for corollas. I do not know of any females that do their own DIY auto work.

Hello. Female 28. 1991 Toyota Corolla 2dr Coupe - 4A-FE engine in the Virgin Islands. I do not do the work myself but I am very interested in how my car runs and I use this forum to help me troubleshoot. Thank you.

Guest gailpegg

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Corolla ownership!  I don't think you'll be sorry you bought your Corolla.  I hope it gives you hundreds of thousands of miles of safe, efficient, and happy motoring! 

Remember, use only Genuine Toyota parts, filters, and fluids when servicing your Corolla. 

I'd stay out of the hybrids for at least another 5 years, 10 would be better.  Let the technology "mature" before making that kind of investment.

Hi, Larry: Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Given I bought my Corolla new, I probably will drive it into the ground/200,000 miles, whichever comes first. Although I clearly can't vouch for the long-term reliability of the hybrids, I drove the old Prius as part of a fleet for nearly two years, and my husband is wrapping up his first year as an 04 Prius owner with no problems. As good as my gas mileage is, his is still better. At any rate, my Corolla is just shy of 4,000 miles and is doing its job every day. Go Corolla!

Hello, I'm pAssing 71 years old, found my dream car in a pool of high water and fell in love with the looks and the style of the 1999 LE. Two months later, its running great and I expect to keep it till it goes 200,000 or I go.... peppy, cheap to run and great handling.... love it.... Best 250 dollar car I've ever had... Jim.

Guest ICorolla

I am an 18 year old (19 in a week) high school grad working at Wal-mart. I am planning on going to college either in the spring or next year. I used to drive a 1997 Chevy Monte Carlo and got tired of stuff breaking. I had exhaust and an intake and other appearance stuff on it. I actually held the fastest time for original N/A motor for the longest time, but someone caught up to me. I was just looking for something with 4 doors, manual, last me awhile, decent gas mileage. The Corolla meets everything I ever wanted in a vehicle.

Hello, I'm pAssing 71 years old, found my dream car in a pool of high water and fell in love with the looks and the style of the 1999 LE. Two months later, its running great and I expect to keep it till it goes 200,000 or I go.... peppy, cheap to run and great handling.... love it.... Best 250 dollar car I've ever had... Jim.

Jim:

You mean you literally found your '99 Corolla in a pool of water? I'd like to know what was involved in getting it back into driveable condition. Was there any significant water damage to the interior and the drivetrain or electrical systems? Please provide details.

I'm now in the process of looking for a submerged '99 - '01 Tacoma pickup I can recover for a couple of hundred bucks.

Im 28 male, university educated and worked professionally in IT then into a technical trade.

Purchased a brand new auto 4 door silver Corolla sedan in June this year since my other car a Hyundai Excel was having mechanical issues.

Main reasons for getting it were fuel economy and reliability but the bonus was getting a car which was quite spacious and powerful for its market. Having VVTI is great default_biggrin

Petrol price here is Aus is about $1.04 a litre so for a full tank, about $50 and that translates to 650-700km per tank. 55litre capacity and $1US = 75 Aus cents you do the math.

I do the servicing and detailing, and just got the windows tinted for summer, it can hit 40 degrees here when it peaks.

Im looking forward to putting this car to good use and keeping it as long as it is affordable to run and maintain so I can get on with building my nest egg.

Guest Kawraycer

Hello, my first post here:

We bought our 97' Rolla in 1999. My wife was then my fiance` and needed a reliable, affordable car to replace her ailing 89' Mazda 626.

I am now 28, my wife 29 y.o. I should say, first of all, that I am a driving enthusiast and I have 2 cars of my own (other than Corolla) that I drive which more closely match my enthusiast preference. On foul weather days, or days I need to carry passengers, I drive a 91' Maxima SE 5spd. Other days I drive my homegrown-turbocharged-92' Miata with damn-near every modification possible that isn't cosmetic.

That said, I've always appreciated the Corolla because it NEVER requires my attention. I completely ignore this car because I enjoy tinkering/tweaking my other cars so much more. The car is now at 120k and I have done nothing other than keep an eye out for dealer coupons on prev. maintenance.

This car has been rear-ended by an uninsured 85' Cavalier, backed into by my old 78' Chevy work-truck, and taken every possible door-ding from every possible angle. It is a base model, and it is that odd metallic purple color that is dangerously close to feminine.

---But this car never asks for my attention, and I never give it any other than to air up the tires. I've ignored this car for 90K miles, left it running overnight, and drove for 10 miles with no tranny fluid and 8 qts of oil in the crankcase (long story).

But this car takes abuse like no other I've owned and demands NONE of my attention.

Compared to my other cars, it's not very fun to drive (esp. since it's an auto tranny), but it is very efficient and economical to own. It actually handles fairly well for an econo-car, but the base 1.6 motor is pretty gut-less. I've spent probably a total of 1 hour of garage time during 5 years of ownership, just to check fluid levels and air pressure.

Here's why I arrived here today:

I broke a couple toes on Sunday and both of my cars require full-use of my clutch-foot. So I've been driving the wife's 'rolla since then and giving it extra attention. I did a simple intake mod which I do to every car I own. Basically a DIY intake to improve breathing slightly, but mainly to make it sound better under acceleration. Other than installing a CD player, it's the only work I've done on the car.

This means more time to make my Mazda faster--which is what I truly enjoy.

Who owns this Corolla?

A couple with 3 great cars and no car payments. A guy who loves to work on cars, but never needs to fix his wife's 'rolla. The same guy who can't drive a stick right now, and relies on the auto 'rolla to get around. And the same guy plans to own (and ignore) this car for at least another 100k. And then I'll buy another Toyota for my wife for the next 250K miles.

My other car (old pics):

www.cardomain.com/id/kawraycer

Matt

Guest sxn179

24 year old male Indian American (from India, not native).

I am professional working for a large full services corporation. My corolla was handed down to me from my sister as a graduation present (she bought a G35). I've pAssed mine onto my mother (i bought a murano).

I know it to be an excellent brand, gives great mileage, and is extremely reliable. I moved on to another brand to get better comfort and gadgets. But would totally buy another one.

If it makes a difference, an executive in my direct line owns a 2001 corolla for similar reasons. He could afford much much better if he wanted to.

23 year old caucasian male, B.S. in Chemistry currently employed as a chemist. Have a three year old daughter. I bought my 2005 Corolla LE because I wanted a car I would have a hard time driving into the ground (this car will likely be my daughters first car), that got good gas mileage, wasn't Associated with "ricers" *cough* civic *cough* and was low in the total cost of ownership. I was originally looking at Jetta/Golf TDI for the gas mileage as my commute is 100 mi round trip, but found that the math on the cost really wasnt there. Additionally the corolla is a larger car than either VW for less money.

Guest Toyota-san

36 year old single male who got fed up with two Suzuki dealers stonewalling him with his Vitara. If my dad, a 29 year UAW member, can switch and be satisfied, then so can I! default_biggrin

Guest spasm68

Hi, I'm a 36-year old doctor here in the philippines, married with kids, and i own a 1990 corolla sedan, been in the family since new, and so far i'm very happy with it. it has the 2E 1.3 liter engine that still runs like new, and just doing routine maintenance with some sprinkling of repairs/replacement of parts (parts are not a problem - affordable and plentiful), and the body is in pristine condition, had it washed-over (resprayed) may of 2003, and the painter was amazed to find no rust. the only thing that need replacing right now is the speedo cable (last reading - 186,000 km, which was a year ago) and the radio (oem alpine unit). I'm very happy with my car---and my little 5-year-old girl is already thinking of things to do to it once it's hers!!! It's a daily driver and every month we go on trips 400 kms away, and it has broken down only one or two times...1) radiator problem, and 2) seized tensioner pulley bearing. very reliable, and still drives, feels, sounds like new!

37 year old male from Ontario,Canada. I own a 1985 Corolla GTS (AE86) and recently purchased a 2005 Corolla S.

Guest NeilS

35 y/o Single White Male. I parked my Crown Vic for the summer and bought a 93 Corolla for $500. In work related trips to Detroit, Columbus OH, Memphis, Atlanta a few times, and short hops to Chattanooga, Louisville, Birmingham - originating in Nashville TN. The Corolla has paid for itself in gas money saved. All I've done is change the oil and put new spark plugs in. I have a distributor cap and rotor button that I need to install. I will probably do that when I pick up some plug wires.

I am still keeping the Vic - it's better suited for travel when there's a few people. I don't know the meaning of the term "travel light" and neither does anyone I know! For me, the Corolla is best suited for solo trips or one-rider trips.

Neil

Guest moebius

Heck, my 2nd post, but here goes:

26 yr old, SWM, in Pittsburgh Area, just bought pre owned '03 Corolla LE w/mtx & 21k miles. I'm currently in the process of selling my old mazda mx6 ('89 w/210k miles). I needed a newer car for the commuting that I'll be doing with my new job, where I will be getting on the low end of upper middle class salary. I choose the Corolla because of it's reputation for reliability, and it's fuel economy. And, I bought it in Boston, because I got a heckuva a deal, significantly less than I would have paid in Pittburgh.

This is the first Toyota I've owned, but my parents purchased an '02 Camry as their first new car ever (previously always used cars from private persons). I was impressed with the '02 camry, more impressed than I had been with previous toyotas that I have seen and driven. With the fuel economy rating, and reliability reputation that Corolla (and toyota's in general) have, I am very happy with my purchase.

Also, I went with the '03, since it is larger than an '02. I prefer to drive a 5 speed mtx, and that's another reason I went with the Corolla, since I could actually get a manual transmission. I prefer the manual because I have allways had manual transmission cars, and I find I actually *do* get good gas mileage, and I like the better acceleration, and honestly, I compared the '05 corolla with atx, and it was a rougher ride than the '03 with a manual transmission. 'Enuff Said.

Guest fiddler

...It's a non ego, non look at me car...

I agree with the non-ego thing. I bought my Corolla because of is reliability and roominess, features I appreciated in the 1984 Corolla that I just sold (180+K miles, still in good condition). I find I drive better in an unpretentious car. I don't know if people who own BMWs learn to drive agressively (i.e. their ego gets involved), or if agressive drivers buy BMWs, but I suspect it's at least partly the former--the car influences the driver.

I think driving a Corolla makes me a less egotistic driver.

(I am a 44-year-old caucasion male, for the record.)

Topic List