Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Struts -- Need Advice On Preferred Brands And Installation

By autotech2612, November 25, 2013

See every reply in these pages:

That's exactly what I'm doing regarding Photobucket, and it worked until a few days ago. I can't even copy and paste links to websites.

I did use the FCS struts you installed on your Corolla. It had the entire assembly. Just had to replace the rear sway bar links while I was at it.

I love sharing photos so I can show you all what I'm talking about, so this is frustrating.

Okay, now it works. When I reply now, I click the button on the top row at the far left (next to "Remove Format icon). Okay, photo above depicts the old sway bar links that could not be removed because unit kept spinning, and there was no inlet for an allen key. The new ones have the allen key inlet.

Glad you got the pics to work. Those links look horrendous! Glad you replaced them before something happened. Now that you got the pics working, any pics of the final setup?

Also, on a side note, what's up with putting Franz in your avatar after finding out the U.S. and Germany are in the same group? U.S.A., U.S.A., U.S.A.!!!

Franz and I are pretty good friends.

I will take photos later at home. I have the old struts outside I can take a photo of, but I'd have to take a wheel off to show you the new set-up. Actually, would it be a good idea to go back and put anti-seize on those sway bar link threads?

Sometimes they prefer you don't put anti-seize on them, as once you install them, they stay right there until they fail. I put anti-seize on my older cars - didn't help one bit. Was just as corroded as one without.

What might be helpful is hitting them with a little primer paint or anti corrosion paint, just around the bolt and metal bits. Seals out moisture and when it dries - I use a sharpie and match mark it. That way - I can quickly see if it loosened up on me down the road.

I do that on all my axle carrier bolts now - after two of them on my Corolla backed out on my unexpectedly.

I don't have any anti-corrosion paint, but I may have primer paint. It's the moment you three have been waiting for: More photos coming soon

And, I bought the tool from Harbor Freight today (photo below)

Ride height has increased a bit:

Looking good!

Looks like the struts were replaced before - OEM ones wouldn't be cut around the brake lines like that. Surprised to see the rubber bellows still on the struts - mine completely disintegrated in three years (smog/ozone).

That's the first thing I noticed -- struts were replaced before because there was a small cut for the brake line.

I still occasionally hear a thump noise in the RR, and it was there before strut and coil assembly replacement. Have you hear that sound in your Corolla? Any thoughts?

We've been getting snow on a constant basis now, and that includes salt on the roads. I have taken the car to the self-serve car wash the last three nights to get thoroughly in the wheel wells, as well as under door areas, etc. I did not think we would get that much snow so quick, so the rust areas have not been addressed yet. To use that POR-15 (I think that's what you told me), does the surface have to be completely dry?

I get some thumps and creaks from time to time. They come and go depending on temperatures, outside conditions, etc. Not a whole lot you can do unless you can reproduce it with the car in the air. Thumping noise from the rear corners could be from almost any source. Since you just replaced the struts - I'd wait until they settle and see what the noise is like then. Before that - double check that all the bolts are still torqued down. Most of the time, any unusual noise from the suspension, especially after replacing some parts are due to bolts and nuts backing off on their own due to vibration, wrong torque, etc.

As for the POR-15 application, dry and grease free is best. You want to maximize the amount of metal contact with the POR-15. Actually sticks better to freshly wire-brushed rust surfaces, or sandblasted surfaces. Something with some surface roughness to allow the POR-15 to dig into.

I'll wait to see if they settle. First thing I did when I heard these occasional noises was checked the bolts (sway bar link bolts, strut tower bolts, lower strut bolts) and they were tight. However, wrong torque is a possibility and I don't have a torque wrench.

Topic List