Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Struts -- Need Advice On Preferred Brands And Installation

By autotech2612, November 25, 2013

See every reply in these pages:

Fish and Bull:

My ride height in the '02 Corolla is low in back. I suspect the rear struts may still be original at 224K. I don't know if the coil springs need to be replaced as well (would new springs bring the ride height back to normal, or do I just need struts?). I want to replace these before Michigan gets accumulating snow because I don't want a lot of snow packed in the rear wells, decreasing fuel economy, putting more wear on the tires, and contributing to rust.

How difficult is it to replace struts on the rear?

I know I will need a spring compressor.

Do I need a rear alignment afterward?

Do you recommend the Monroe and KYB brand? (I'm not going with Sensa). I can get Monroe Gas-Matic from Advance Auto Parts for $86 after $40 online coupon code (includes free shipping).

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_gas-matic-strut-monroe_15930169-p?navigationPath=L1*14921%7CL2*15010#fragment-3

Do you know of any auto parts stores that will have a black Friday sale that may increase my savings?

Photos are attached below. It was difficult to get my camera in there because there isn't a lot of room between top of tire and body. (strut boots are ragged on both)

I'm not Fish or Bull, I am Leo the Lion ruled by the almighty Sun, and this might help:

http://www.theymightberacing.com/Maintenance/TC02/RearStruts.aspx

Monroe Sensa Trac/OESpectrum would be better than Gas Matic, although I'd chose KYB GR-2/Excel-G over Monroe.

No need for alignment after.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432913,parttype,7584

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432913,parttype,7592

New Moog 9647 rear coil springs would help as well while you're at it.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432913,parttype,7512

Sorry, I meant dom, not bull.

I will go over this tomorrow (your links). Have to get to bed.

Taking air filter assembly out tomorrow and cleaning throttle body, as well as IAC valve. This high idle is really getting to me. 16 degrees out right now, idles up to 1900. After a 15-minute highway drive, parked and idling, RPMs are at 1000, not the normal 800 as usual.

Thing about rock auto is the price of shipping and sending back if there is a defect. Any other places you use?

Rock Auto links are mainly for brands and part number reference... You can choose your preferred distributor in USA.

FWIW, I ordered these for my rear struts. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X02LM4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=corolland-20&psc=1

So far they have worked really well. They already had the springs, so no need to compress the springs, which I really didn't want to do (and my friend who was helping me REALLY didn't want to do). They were really easy to install. Just undo the brake line clip, a couple of bolts, the three on top of the seat and then put the new one on with reverse installation. Cut a notch in real quick for the brake line with a reciprocating saw and you're good to go.

You might be able to get them cheaper on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. (There actually cheaper right now as I write this then when I bought them.)

To restore the ride height - definitely look into replacing the springs. Struts only control motion / damping, they don't lift up the body.

I've had mixed luck with other brands of struts/springs. Like dom - I'd generally prefer to stick with OEM brand - like KYB, or upgrade to something a little more aggressive in valving, like Tokicos. Springs - depends if you want to keep the ride height or look for a drop. In my case - I picked up some TRD springs (mild drop -~1" or so, rebaded Eibach Pro springs). They've actually increased my load capacity - used to bottom out my suspension constantly when I make stocked up on some heavy food items / stuff for work. Now - the increased spring rate helps prevent the suspension bottoming, when I fill the trunk.

Granted - the ride height is reduced - depending on where you live at and where you drive, this could prove problematic. There are some fishing holes that I cannot get into anymore - car will get high-sided trying to run over the rough terrain.

The preassembled struts have an advantage of just plug and play - no need to mess with a spring compressor. All up to you. When I did mine - I just rented a compressor - something like $30. They make some cheaper ones that you can buy - but the amount of force that is involved in compressing those springs - I'd just rent the right tool for the job. I've seen people use their car to "compress" the springs - definitely don't do that. Won't fly off the car, but you could damage the spring/strut doing that.

Ok, guys, I just bought the FCS right and left from Rock Auto. With 5% discount, I can got them for 110.00 with shipping. That's a few dollars cheaper than Amazon.

Fish, I used a spring compressor in the past, and it was a pain. Plus, I want to do this job quickly as I have an unheated garage. Perfect timing to do it, since it snowed today.

You guys saved me a lot of money (and hassle due to not having to use a spring compressor). Thank you so much.

I'll take photos of the struts (old) and installed new and the new ride height.

Does Rock Auto ever have black Friday sales?

I've never seen any Rock Auto sale in many years of dealing with them... They always have the 5% discount available, along with everyday unbeatable prices and a wide selection. They do have random lower wholesaler closeout prices on some parts.

2001 Corolla wholesaler closeout parts listing: http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1432912&a=wc&l=en&html=true

With my old Geo Metro, I would get email updates when there was a closeout on parts, but that's likely because I ordered Metro parts in the past from them. Since I ordered these struts, I will likely get e-mail updates on wholesale closeouts.

I've ordered many times over the last decade, and I never got a wholesaler closeout email... I can always see them in the parts listing anyway.

I registered an account with Rock Auto today, so I should get some in the future. When I had the Metro, I created an account with Rock Auto and received e-mail updates of Wholesale Closeout offers. Once you place one or two orders, you get 'em. How many miles are on your CE? Original clutch?

I've had an account with Rock Auto for over a decade, and have ordered about a dozen times. No email updates, but I don't mind.

I'm at 164,000 miles, and I replaced my clutch at 156,000 miles... I expect to trade it just before my odometer freezes at 299,999 Kms in early 2016. Honda has just unveiled a new Earth Dreams turbocharged direct injected VTEC 1.5 to replace their 1.8.,, We shall see.

I like Honda, but I'm just too partial to Toyota.

My 2004 runs so damn well, it never ceases to amaze me. It's very hard parting from such a well engineered Toyota.

I actually have ordered parts for many different makes and models which I work on and fix, so maybe Rock Auto aint sure what my car is.

Went to the LKQ yard a few weeks ago and found a '94 Camry with 408K. Could tell previous owner took are of it, as interior was still in nice shape and nothing was aftermarket. Also had an OEM Toyota oil filter on it.

Okay, I am trying to remove the rear sway bar links from both LR and RR strut and it keeps spinning inside. I took two photos to show there is no area for an allen key and nothing behind I can grab onto. It's permanently sealed. Bought a pair on ebay for 17 dollars. Will arrive by Thursday.

I still can't copy and paste links on this Forum now. What happened?

Also, the FCS struts only have two posts at the top mount instead of the normal three. Why is this?

Allen stud head is within the hex lock nut on the outside. Clean it out with small screwdriver. If you're not concerned about damaging them, just clamp a Vise-Grip on the other side of mount tab where the end link rubber boot is.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/131-8th-generation-1998-2002/332248-diy-rear-strut-replacement-corolla-98-02-a.html

The $17 made in China pair won't last long. Moog # K9545 is a good choice.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1432913,parttype,7580,a,www.google.com%2BSearch%2Bfor%2B2004%2BTOYOTA%2BCOROLLA%2B1.8L%2BL4%2BDOHC

FCS strut bolt is included to use in one of strut mount's threaded hole,

I already ordered the ones off ebay and they will arrive by Thursday. There is no allen stud head within the hex lock on the outside of current links.

Using a Saw-zall today to cut into the new struts for the brake lines, and going to pre-heat and loosen all bolts ahead of time just to make sure I don't run into any problems when sway bar links arrive. I see on these current installed struts, whoever put them on also cut into that metal part for the brake line, so that has made it easier and I won't have to disconnect the brake lines.

Also, the FCS struts only have two posts at the top mount instead of the normal three. Why is this?
If I remember correctly, there is a bolt and nut for the third one. I think it's just like that for versatility, so it can be used for different applications.

Struts, coils and both sway bar links replaced today. Still can't copy and post photos for some reason. Not a difficult job at all, except using a Saw Zall to cut off the old links. They did not have the allen tool fitting on them, but the new ones that arrived in the mail today do have the allen tool on them. Ride hasn't changed too much, just a little stiffer. Ride height increased just a little. I'll see how these FCS struts hold up. Now, it's back to the idle issue. . .

Good luck, I can say for at least 8 months the FCS struts hold up well! default_tongue

As far as the photo posting, are you using a photo domain like photobucket?

Yes, using Photobucket.

The cost of FCS strut and coil assembly is so reasonable, down the road when it's time for strut replacement again, I'll just buy the entire assemblies.

Just to be sure, press the 'links' button, then use the 'IMG code' for forums, boards. And then paste it into your reply.

Is this what you are doing?

As far as the FCS struts go, did you get the ones that I posted or a different model, same brand? The struts I got had the entire assembly already, so I'm confused about what you did.

Topic List