Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Replacemnt Tires

See every reply in these pages:

Guest corolla96

I'm very happy so far (almost 5,000 miles) with a set of Michelin "X-Radials" from CostCo.

Any changes in gas mileage on the X-Radials?

I am getting 30-32 MPG city driving with Michile X-Radial. OEM i got around 28-30 ( if i remember correctly ). Highway long drives i get around 35 with AC 38 with out AC

Tires that would be comparable to Michelin X-Radials (spec-wise) would be

- Yokohama AVID TRZ, Goodyear ****urance ComforTred, Michelin Harmony, and Michelin HydroEdge. Price according to TireRack - runs $51, $63, $78, $88 each.

The Yoko is brand new - just coming out. The Goodyear and Michelins have been out for a little while and have lots of reviews on them. The Yokohama is considered a performance all-season tire, while the others are all-season tires. Treadwear warranty are at least 80K miles, Hydroedge boosts a 90K warranty.

Try the reviews on www.tirerack.com - lots of info there.

Ti-Jean

Tires that would be comparable to Michelin X-Radials (spec-wise) would be

- Yokohama AVID TRZ, Goodyear ****urance ComforTred, Michelin Harmony, and Michelin HydroEdge. Price according to TireRack - runs $51, $63, $78, $88 each.

What size did you look at Fish?

The Yokohama TRZ 195/65-15 is listed at $62. at Tire Rack.

The price I got at my Toy dealer is $109. CDN. Including install and balancing.

Was looking at the 185/65-14 size for a 7th generation Corollas.

Wished I would have waited for the TRZ instead of picking up the AVID H4S - even though they are excellent tires - still a little soft for my tastes. But great grip in dry and wet conditions - and suprisingly decent grip in snow for the tread design. The TRZ seem to be a more "all around" tire.

Ti-Jean

Wished I would have waited for the TRZ instead of picking up the AVID H4S - even though they are excellent tires - still a little soft for my tastes. But great grip in dry and wet conditions - and suprisingly decent grip in snow for the tread design. The TRZ seem to be a more "all around" tire.

If you think that the H4S is a bit soft, The TRZ should be even more so. It is a touring T rated tire, as opposed to the H4S which is a performance touring (H rated) tire.

Wished I would have waited for the TRZ instead of picking up the AVID H4S - even though they are excellent tires - still a little soft for my tastes.  But great grip in dry and wet conditions - and suprisingly decent grip in snow for the tread design.  The TRZ seem to be a more "all around" tire.

If you think that the H4S is a bit soft, The TRZ should be even more so. It is a touring T rated tire, as opposed to the H4S which is a performance touring (H rated) tire.

But aren't performance tires softer than touring tires?

The other day the guy at a local tire shop mention Toyo Proxes TPT when I say I want low rolling resistance tires for mileage sake. He also says Yokos are crap, Nokians are waaaay overpriced, and Hydroedge is better than Turanza LS-T, and my alloy rim choices at 14" are very limited without going at least +1. Told him I use 185/65R14 when I asked him all these.

My Dunlop A2s are almost due for replacement, down to 3/32" at places, at less than 30K kilometres!!!

Ti-Jean

"But aren't performance tires softer than touring tires?

The other day the guy at a local tire shop mention Toyo Proxes TPT when I say I want low rolling resistance tires for mileage sake. He also says Yokos are crap, Nokians are waaaay overpriced, and Hydroedge is better than Turanza LS-T, and my alloy rim choices at 14" are very limited without going at least +1. Told him I use 185/65R14 when I asked him all these."

The rubber compound of a performance tire is probably softer and stickier but the sidewalls are generally much stiffer to withstand high speeds and brisk cornering Associated with aggressive driving, etc.

It is quite an experience to observe and touch new tires in stores. Same brand and size, a standard touring S or T rated tire vs a high performance H or V rated one... I thus promptly eliminated the latter for my intended use.

On the other hand, all tire company's have older/lower priced tire lines that don't deserve interest. That doesn't mean that they don't sell high quality tires. To say that Yokos are crap is a bit simplistic in my view. Either the guy doesn't carry that brand or I might try another shop...

I burned up my Integritys on my 03 Corolla S in 45,000km. Switched to Michelin Harmonys and got 140,000 trouble free km out of them. I just got new 16" rims and will be putting Michelin Hydroedge on them.

Go with Michelin. They may cost more, but they're the best.

Max

Another bump...

Topic List