Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Replacemnt Tires

See every reply in these pages:

Guest liveone

I hate the stock goodyears on my rolla, I'm sure many of you feel the same way. I have been looking at the bridgestone turanza. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Max

Turanza LS-T is highly rated at Tire Rack- one of the best sellers for Corolla. I have thought about them for my car, but will probably go with Michelin HydroEdge instead. Depends on what you want. The Turanza would be a quiet, smooth-rolling tire for you. There are tons of great tires out there.

i already ordered the brigestone G009, rated really good by tirerack and cost only $60 a pop, hoping to have them on soon, the raining season in CA ain't so fun, but at least no worries about snow!!

these firestone FR690 is the shxttiest of shxtty tires!!

Max

The G009 looks like a great buy. Let us know how you like them. I think I'm gonna head out this weekend for new shoes myself. It's rainy now and it'll be snowing before you know it. These Goodyear Integrities don't do well in any sort of precipitation, but to my surprise, they have been very quiet and smooth. All good until it rains or you wanna go have a big time on the twisty backroads.

My personal favorites are Michelin Harmony, but I wanted a tire that does well in snow. There are cheaper alternatives, but I'm not buying them default_wink.

G

Max

Hi G~

How long have you had the Harmonies? Are they quiet? I have no doubt about their performance, but wonder a bit about noise.

The Harmonies are on my wifes 98 Stratus. The performance is top notch.

The noise is ok on most surfaces. One surface where noise picks up is a certain type of concrete highway. The tires get a bit of a high pitched 'whing' going on that I don't care for. And, its not all concrete highway, it must depend on the surface, as only about two miles of the highway around here does it. But when it makes noise, it makes noise!

I am undecided. I might just not take my car out in the snow, or get a pair of Avid $60...but what I feel I should do is buy the Harmonies...Harmonys... heh...

My Harmonys did well in snow last year.

got the G009 installed, only got 50 miles on them so far, they look good, the tread pattern is little more aggressive than the stock firestones, here's my quick 1st impression, so far i've only tested them on dry, and they're not even broken in yet, but they seem to be less noisy compared to the stock tires, i don't hear the whinning sound i was hearing at 85mph anymore, i felt more confident on cornering now, definitely little more sticker, i can't wait for the rain, think that'll be the major difference there,

according to the tuner shop that installed and aligned them, the oem firestone are junk, these G009s are much more squared up for this size of wheel, so they are little bumpier, but not too bad,

so far, it's worth every penny, if you don't have to worry about snow, these are the tires for you!! less than $60 a pop on tirerack is way worth it!!

Max

Let us know about rain. We get a bit of snow here, and sometimes the odd 18" snowfall, so I would need at least some snow traction. Dunno if the G009s would provide that.

the G009 are great in wet, actually i couldn't tell the difference whether i was driving in dry or wet, it felt as good as in dry i guess,

and i took a pretty fast turn, these G009 hook up great, the oem firestone would be chirping like crazy and gave out much earlier, but the G009 didn't!!

my gas mileage went down at least 3-5mpg on average after i went to these bridgestone G009 tires, any reason why? i've had them on for at least couple hundred miles now...does that usually happen for new tires until they get broken in?

Guest Toyota-san

I concur tire rack is a fine place to browser user reviews of tires. I just received two "take off" rims from them for my rolla. I plan to secure winter tread tires and use those for winter driving, thus sparing the 'stones the raveges of snow and ice. Then,come spring, I'll put the 'stones back on there and drive all summer and fall that way.

the cost for the rims btw was 32 bucks each. Much cheaper than Suzuki where I got raped $200 for a basic steel wheel for my Vitara (which I no longer own)

Max

Tires can make a big diff in mpg. They may be a different overall size or weight from your old tires, you may be underinflating, etc.

it's the same size tires, don't think it can be that much heavier, and i just got those installed so the tire pressure should be pretty consistent, i am wondering if new tires take time to break in and retain the grip for better mpg?

They do take time to break in - ie. wear off the release agent on the rubber. But they generally will get less MPG the "grippier" they are - more friction to overcome. Those tires also have a squared up casing - more aerodynamic and contact friction drag. The faster you go - the worse it gets (drag grows as a power to speed - if you double your speed, drag goes up a "power" usually around 2).

i used to get average 33mpg, now i am getting 28mpg consistenly for the past 1000miles...does it make sense for such a big difference? anyone else w/ similar experience?

Guest Toyota-san

i used to get average 33mpg, now i am getting 28mpg consistenly for the past 1000miles...does it make sense for such a big difference?  anyone else w/ similar experience?

Change in fuel? Perhaps the winter blend is affecting your mileage.

been running 89 octane ever since, you think they really change the contents during the winter? i am located in CA, so not sure what they need to do to adjust to the winter temp cuz it's not like cold as freezing or anything...???

anyhow, i'll see how long this lasts...i am just somewhat disappointed...28mpg is not what i'd expect from a 03 corolla, consider all my driving is freeway commute, and i am definitely not heavy on the gas,

I suspect that the one good thing about the stock tires is that they offer better mileage. I can imagine a narrow bicycle tire would give even better mileage, but the trade-off with bad traction would be unacceptable. Toyota, knowing that mileage is a major selling point for the Corolla, probably decided to trade a fair amount of traction for better mileage.

I've read lots of strings on replacement tires for the Corolla, and almost everyone says the handling and traction are noticably improved upon trade-up. The Michelin Harmonies seem to be a favorite, along with the Goodyear ****urance TripleTred. Haven't heard (or don't remember) if or how much drop in mileage people experienced with those. But just applying common sense, better traction will translate into more friction and worse gas mileage. So part of me is looking forward to trading up on tires for greater safety and handling, but the other part figures there's no such thing as a free lunch and I'll have to pay through the nozzle.

The OEM tires are marginal -- you can feel it and hear them losing grip at fast starts and chirping around corners. Not unsafe, but they keep you in a definite envelope.

I'm sure I'll share the disappointment at the pump for getting a better grip on things. But wouldn't it be a drag to skid off a cliff thinking, "I just had to get a few more miles to the gallon and now look." default_huh

I'm very happy so far (almost 5,000 miles) with a set of Michelin "X-Radials" from CostCo.

Wet grip is unbelievable. Snow grip is excellent. Dry grip is amazing. Plus they have an 80,000 mile warranty.

I replaced the stock Badyears with Kellys at 45k (not worn out, but I couldn't take the sliding around any more), and put up with almost 60,000 miles of vibration with the Kellys. They can't seem to make four round tires, for some reason, and the grip (wet or dry) was OK at first, but terrible after the first 20,000 miles. I swore a solemn oath to never drive on cheapo tires again.

At about 101,000 miles, CostCo had a screaming deal on Michelins, and I got a set for $293.00 out the door (tires, mounting, warranty, tax, lifetime balance, etc.)

Best $293 I've ever spent. I'm in my Corolla over two hours a day commuting, and tires do make a difference in my overall happiness!

Guest Corollasroyce

I'm very happy so far (almost 5,000 miles) with a set of Michelin "X-Radials" from CostCo.

Wet grip is unbelievable. Snow grip is excellent. Dry grip is amazing. Plus they have an 80,000 mile warranty.

I replaced the stock Badyears with Kellys at 45k (not worn out, but I couldn't take the sliding around any more), and put up with almost 60,000 miles of vibration with the Kellys. They can't seem to make four round tires, for some reason, and the grip (wet or dry) was OK at first, but terrible after the first 20,000 miles. I swore a solemn oath to never drive on cheapo tires again.

At about 101,000 miles, CostCo had a screaming deal on Michelins, and I got a set for $293.00 out the door (tires, mounting, warranty, tax, lifetime balance, etc.)

Best $293 I've ever spent. I'm in my Corolla over two hours a day commuting, and tires do make a difference in my overall happiness!

Yes i couldn't agree more, thats the only thing ive noticed about my 2005 Corolla CE package C that i don't like, the stock tires that is, their garbage, fine in dry but anything else and i am sliding all over the place, my bro just put michelin X-Ice tires on his car and it doesn't handle as nice but the traction in the snow is far far superior to the crappy stock tires.

Any changes in gas mileage on the X-Radials?

so far i got 3k miles on the G009, they're great in dry as well as in wet, i'd definitely recommend them, they do cause a drop in mpg, at the compromise of better grip, the bridgestone are known to be little stiffer so the ride is slightly bumpy, but not that much different, for the money, these are one of the best bang for the buck IMO, but of course there's nothing to worry about snow driving condition where i live, that's a whole different story and don't know what that'll do...

Guest corolla96

I am also a fan of Michelin "X-Radials" from CostCo, but i am having thread wear problems with it. Even tough they say tires are 80k miles that do not lost longer.

I moved to michiline when i brought my car at 20K miles in 1996. Now i have 90k miles on my car and i have changed my times 3 times in total till now. But they do not lost longer more than 20-30K even though they are 80K miles warrenty, I never missed a rotation till now. i do roation and balancing every 5K-7K. Hence i tend to agree that Costco tires are not that great.

I do agree that the handling and traction is very nice and love it with Michiline X-Radial.

Now its time to change tires in another 2-3 months, any recommendation to replace Michile X-radial which is cheap and better. Any help is appreciated.

Topic List