Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

03 Corolla Needs Tires, Reccomendations?

by Whistler, August 22, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Dai_Shan

So 'plussing' is more of a tire/wheel combo deal....increase rim size and lower tire depth. and increase speed rating etc.

Lowering the tire depth isn't effective/good if you maintain same rim size?

Width?

That is the purpose of the plus system - you have to increase width and decrease aspect ratio as you increase wheel diameter.

If you keep the same wheel diameter and decrease your aspect ratio - your tire will be smaller in circumference and will through your speedo off.

Performance-wise, lowering the aspect ration will yield better handleing at the cost of ride quality - but if you keep the wheel as light as possible - you also reap the benefits of reducing unsprung weight.

Width is a max at 7" for the Corollas. You could go wider - but will usually mean modifying the fenders to fit the wide wheels. Also make sure you stay within the factory backspace range (wheel offset). Corollas run a 38mm to 45mm positive offset - get too far off the mark, will have to rool the fender lip or suffer clearance issues.

Mr. Ed

Back to the Goodyear Integrities...are they really that bad? I got my Corolla the last part of the winter, driving in some snow. They seemed to work pretty well. Or, am I wrong? Since I go to work early in the morning, I make the path for the snow-plows. Should I be prepared to change tires? Thanks!!!

Yes, they are that bad. I bought my corolla in december last year. On the day I picked to shop for my winter tires (driving in snow with all-season tires is simply irresponsible IMO), it started snowing a bit. Before long I could barely get the car moving even on flat roads. Needless to say I had the winter tires installed ASAP to go home.

Fast forward to the summer... I'm back on the integritys. Well guess what? They're horrible even without snow! There's a steep hill in my home town with a traffic light at the top and I can barely get moving when the road is wet. The traction is simply horrible. The wheels start spinning as if I was in deep snow and the car actually moves sideways instead of forwards. It's often 1-2 seconds before I can get moving.

Overall I'm looking forward to wearing out these tires to get better ones.

Back to the Goodyear Integrities...are they really that bad? I got my Corolla the last part of the winter, driving in some snow. They seemed to work pretty well. Or, am I wrong? Since I go to work early in the morning, I make the path for the snow-plows. Should I be prepared to change tires? Thanks!!!

They are not REAL bad - just a compromise tire. I've had Firestones and some Michelins that make the Integrities look good in comparison.

Kind of like a Jack of all trades - master of none kind of a tire. Can handle some snow - but not designed as a snow tire, can handle wet roads - but doesn't have decent hydroplane resistance, OK in dry weather - but sacrifices overall handling for longer tire life.

They worked decently for the first winter I had them (bought the car in October) - but soon after, really didn't hold up too well and terrible road noise. Went to a dedicated summer dry/wet tire and decent snow tires - haven't been disappointed.

• 200 posts

I would go to an all season from march-october and a winter from november-february, but paying for 4 more rims and tires is a little pricey. default_wink

Topic List