Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

03 Corolla Needs Tires, Reccomendations?

by Whistler, August 22, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

I've never really liked the Goodyear Integrity tires that came stock on my 2003 Corolla, and now they've gotten pretty worn and I need a new set.

Does anyone out there know a good type of all weather tire that would fit on a 2003 Corolla LE? It would be nice if I could find something that could improve handling.

I've heard good things about Michelin X-Ones, what else is there?

Max

X-One has been dropped, but Michelin has two outstanding new tires; Harmony and HydroEdge. I'm also a big fan of Bridgestone and Yokohama. www.tirerack.com is a great resource for fitment, reviews, etc.

I just bought a new 2005 Corolla S, and I also read the reviews on the stock Integrity tires (which had very poor reviews for performance in the snow and rain). We live in NYC which is why we are pretty worried about these things.

I was wondering if anyone has tried either the Michelin Harmony or Goodyear Tripletred?

Also, if we change the tires now, what can we get for the original stock tires? Or do we just have to eat the loss?

Thanks! I'll let people know how the performance is for my new tires once I've had a chance to check them out.

Put on Harmony's at 12K on my 2003 CE 5 speed since the Integrity's were just pure caca for handling.

The Harmony's feel glued to the road and handle great. Even tread wear across the entire face.

Really recommend them.

Some tire stores may give you something for the take offs. There's always a customer looking for a low buck set of tires.

You might also want to try a classified ad. Ebay would not be too good because of the shipping cost.

Ditch the OEM's ASAP. The difference is awesome.

• 200 posts

Goodyear doesn't make the ****urance TripleTred in the 185/65/14 size. They do make the ****urance ComforTred in that size, though. Where the TripleTreds are rated 10 in all weather conditions and 9 for ride and noise quality, the Comfortreds are rated 9 for weather and 10 for the ride and noise, which is still outstanding.

X-One has been dropped, but Michelin has two outstanding new tires; Harmony and HydroEdge.  I'm also a big fan of Bridgestone and Yokohama.  www.tirerack.com is a great resource for fitment, reviews, etc.

I put Harmony's on my wifes car...**amazing** tires. I absolutely love them. Dry traction is great, wet traction is great, snow traction is great, ice traction is acceptable.

For the most part they are quiet. There is one section of concrete highway nearby that must be patterned in a paticular way that makes these tires zing a little bit, I have to put the windows up cause that noise gets to me after a while.

But for the most part, I feel very safe with these tires. I don't worry about going out in the rain and snow!

PennDOT is pretty lax about plowing the stretch of country two-lane that I live on, so the first 1.5 miles of my drive during snowstorms is usually in unplowed, uncindered, unsalted road. These tires eat snow for breakfast.

G

The Corolla S has P195/65R15 wheels, which do exist according to the Goodyear site.

Thanks for the great information. My wife and I will probably go with the Michelin Harmony's only because the Goodyear Tripletreds haven't been out long enough to have good feedback from real users (though the reviews on them in the car mags are absolutely fantastic).

Guest nim

get'cha some cheap kumhos from tire rack with high treadwear and about 33 bucks each. even with shipping and mount/balance you'll usually beat yer local tire guy (big-o especially) by about 20 bucks per corner. i would only pay for gs-c's for a vette or something. for corollas, cheap, quiet, and long-life are what yer lookin' for. JMO. also BTW, i don't rotate anymore, once the tire takes a set it will pull one way or the other even when the alignment readout says everything is straight. when the fronts wear the edges, just toss them and buy fresh. saves the alignment fee. others may disagree, such is life.

do they sell michelin enrgy in nth america?

Guest xcel

Hi All:

___I too am looking for replacements but I am not willing to sacrifice fuel economy. The Integrity’s have given me a very nice 65,000 miles now. The Integrity’s also come on the Prius II and the reason why is they offer a very low rolling resistance and they are relatively inexpensive. Those Prius drivers that have swapped to other tires have lost upwards of 5% of their fuel economy but have reported better handling, traction, whatever …

___Anyways, does anyone know if there is another great LRR replacement? If not, where is the best place to pick up another set of Integrity’s for a great price? I haven’t asked the local Toyota dealer yet.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Mr. Ed

We just bought a set of Michelin Hydroedge for my wife's LeSabre. She absolutely LOVES them. They are far superior to anything she's had on it before. I was thinking of putting the Hydoedge on my Corolla when it's time. Has anyone had experience with them on a Corolla?

I put 205-60x15 Harmonys on my 03 Corolla S at about 45,000km (195-65x15 Integrity tires were junk). Now, at 150,000km they still have lots of tread and have been fantastic tires. I will try the new Hydroedge next.

Max

Yesterday, www.tirerack.com was showing Goodyear ****urance Triple Tred as the number one customer-rated all-season tire. Just a few weeks ago, Michelin HydroEdge held that spot. They must be great tires- check out the reviews!.

• 55 posts

I live in NY area also and have used Bridgstone Potenza's on my 1999 LE,They are great for the amount of snow we get here,go to Costco its about $340 for 4 with lifetime rotation and balancing,plus the roadhazard warranty,If you dont have membership get one day pass to get the savings

Dai_Shan

What is a common mileage life on the Integreties?

How does the roadnoise of the Integreties compare to that of other 30-45$ tires?

Mine are at 40,000 km and are pretty worn at the edges. Thats probably not average life though, I drove them a little hard (lots of fast corners default_biggrin ).

Once I get new ones that I actually like (and pay more for) I'll go easier on them.

BTW... thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll go with the Hydroedge or ****urance Tripletreds, I'll just have to check out the prices on them before I decide.

I'll check out the Harmonys too.

I can definitely tell you the OEM Goodyears are HORRIBLE in snow and rain, and pretty bad on dry roads, too, for that matter. Pure crap, and very dangerous IMHO.

I replaced them at 45K miles with a set of Kellys from Tire Barn. Traction is much improved, but the Kellys have always had a vibration to them -- they don't seem to be able to make a round tire. They also very quickly develop a pull to one side or the other. When I rotate the tires, the pull sometimes goes away for a bit.

The car's alignment has been checked twice, and is perfect. The pulling and vibration problems are purely tire-related. I forced TB to replace the worst tire after about 3K, but it nearly took an act of Congress.

BTW, 195/60-14 tires will fit fine on the stock wheels and are exactly the same rolling diameter as the stock 185/65-14.

The Kellys are almost worn out (less than 50K into a 60K warranty...), so in about a month, I'm going to have Tire Rack install a set of Yokohamas -- they are almost universally praised, and a very good value. I'm probably also going to go back to the stock tire size (185/65-14), so I can get the 80,000 mile warranty.

I'm having a bad luck with tires..

OEM were firestones, car was pulling left/right untill I got rid of them. Went for BFGoodrich Precept. Were OK in rain/show for 1,5 years, but got worn out in 30K (claimed to be 80K tires). So tiry shop was nice to honor the warranty and boght them back, so I got Michelins Destiny and now car pulls really badly .

Guest djwolford

Falken Azenis, or if you don't want those for whatever reason get Falken Ziex, I've owned both and they were both great tires....

Dai_Shan

Has anyone noticed a high about of tire squealing when making turning accelerations from a stop? Or when U-turning(slow)?

Is this a result of the Integreties? Or something messed up with my suspension/allignment? (worth checking out?)

Has anyone noticed a high about of tire squealing when making turning accelerations from a stop? Or when U-turning(slow)?

Is this a result of the Integreties? Or something messed up with my suspension/allignment? (worth checking out?)

Only if you notice abnormal tire wear (uneven, cupping, feathering, etc.) - otherwise, chalk it up to cheap quality tires.

Dai_Shan

Yeah since it has done it since day one...i was chalkin it up to the 'quality' tires. Kinda scary that they would put such bad tires as far as safety goes...oh well.

Next simple question...I know fairly little as far as tires go...match the numbers and walla you have fitting tire. I know the numbers mean stuff like width, height , rim size etc...but i often hear things like Plus1 Plus2 etc. Is this refering to general quality? Or is it width of tire?(more tire on pavement) How much wider can you go on stock Rims.?

Max

Dai Shan- "Plussing" is about sizing. If I have a 185/65/15 tire, I have a tire that is 185 wide, 65 deep (top of tire to rim) and 15 around. If I "plus one" I'm going to put on a 195/55/16. If I plus two, I'm going to a 205/45/17 tire.

You can use the tire sizing calculator on Tirerack website: www.tirerack.com

I run a Plus 2 - tire and wheel combo. 205/45R16 83W in the summer and good weather - 185/65R14 86Q in the winter. I'd add to Max's comments that the first number is the tire max width when mounted in mm, second number is the ratio of the tire height (from tread to rim) to the max width of the tire (first number), the R is for construction of the tire (this case Radial), and the third number is the diameter of the wheel, and the last number is the load (service rating) and speed rating of the tire. Depending on where you get the tire and who makes it - they can labeled 205/45WR16 or 205/45WR16 83W or 205/45R16 83W - all basically same.

Topic List