Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Mobile Oil

by Screamingdan, August 13, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Oh my gush! The aftermarket filters have ONE LESS thread than OEM Toyota filters. What were they thinking - I guess for us guys that use non-oem filters we're all DOOMED! default_blink

Come on man. default_tongue

At least I agree that the Toyota O-ring seal is unlikely to stick to the plate - but I've never had any kind of oil filter gasket stick to the engine anyways. I've always checked and cleaned off the mounting surface before I install the new filter anyways. A little oil on the gasket - spin it and give it an additional 3/4 turn to 1 1/2 turn - depending on the filter specs - No problems.

Guest Paul Cherubini

Oh my gush! default_blink The aftermarket filters have ONE LESS thread than OEM Toyota filters. What were they thinking - I guess for us guys that use non-oem filters we're all DOOMED!

1. Toyota filter = 4 threads. Aftermarket = 3 threads. So Toyota filter has 25% MORE THREADS

2. Toyota FILTER SHELL WEIGHS 23% more because it made with 23% THICKER METAL

3. Toyota filter uses the unique "O" ring seal that won't stick to the engine.

AND WE HAVN'T EVEN COMPARED THE INSIDES OF THE FILTERS YET !!

And most ironic of all is that Purolator makes both of these filters that I have been comparing: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/filter.jpg So obviously Toyota REQUIRED Purolator to make the

Toyota filter to it's special and unique fail safe and heavy duty specifications.

You don't learn critical stuff like this on the Bobistheoilguy forum. You only learn how to compare filters based on oil analysis which distracts you from ever thinking to compare filters based on other kinds of criteria. Worse, the Bobistheoilguy forum admistrators and moderators try to steer you clear of OEM filters by saying "Toyota is not in the filter making business." But as you can see with your own eyes http://www.saber.net/~monarch/filter.jpg Toyota REQUIRES filter makers like Purolator to make Toyota filters to it's special and unique heavy duty specifications

(not some cheapo minimum light duty specification as the Bobistheoilguy admistrators and moderators would have you believe).

So are they really educating you or dumbing you down?

Oh my gush!  default_blink  The aftermarket filters have ONE LESS thread than OEM Toyota filters.  What were they thinking - I guess for us guys that use non-oem filters we're all DOOMED!

1. Toyota filter = 4 threads. Aftermarket = 3 threads. So Toyota filter has 25% MORE THREADS

2. Toyota FILTER SHELL WEIGHS 23% more because it made with 23% THICKER METAL

3. Toyota filter uses the unique "O" ring seal that won't stick to the engine.

AND WE HAVN'T EVEN COMPARED THE INSIDES OF THE FILTERS YET !!

And most ironic of all is that Purolator makes both of these filters that I have been comparing: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/filter.jpg So obviously Toyota REQUIRED Purolator to make the

Toyota filter to it's special and unique fail safe and heavy duty specifications.

You don't learn critical stuff like this on the Bobistheoilguy forum. You only learn how to compare filters based on oil analysis which distracts you from ever thinking to compare filters based on other kinds of criteria. Worse, the Bobistheoilguy forum admistrators and moderators try to steer you clear of OEM filters by saying "Toyota is not in the filter making business." But as you can see with your own eyes http://www.saber.net/~monarch/filter.jpg Toyota REQUIRES filter makers like Purolator to make Toyota filters to it's special and unique heavy duty specifications

(not some cheapo minimum light duty specification as the Bobistheoilguy admistrators and moderators would have you believe).

So are they really educating you or dumbing you down?

I just GOTTA answer this one. I have a lot of experience (over 2 million miles) in VW diesels. Even an old diesel can put out considerably more oil pressure on a poor day than my Corolla. My 91 would give 90psi on a cold morning. In light of that experience, I will answer this guy.Now on to the items listed;

1. I've never heard of a filter failing from too few threads. BTW, the Toyota filter I bought recently had 3 threads. default_dry

2. I have a Wix and a Toyota filter here. I Can't tell the difference in weight, but once again, I've never had even a Fram case fail at 90psi. Any Mobil 1, K&N or other premium aftermarket oil filter weighs considerably more than a Toy filter.

3. I've never had a filter seal stick to the block since my 64 Ford days.

The bitterness against BITOG is innapropriate here, and only bitterness on your part. Remember, you were banned for making wild and UNSUBSTANTIATED claims.

In short, if you like Toyota (and it's obvious you work for them) that's fine---fill your boots. Just don't call anyone an idiot because they use aftermarket.

: The sheer idiocy of some posts, and the entertainment value of others, are certainly worth the price of admission. default_laugh

Toyota filters, fluids and parts have numerous unique fail safe features if you bother to look:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/filter.jpg

If Toyota didn't bother with little quality details like this then Toyota's wouldn't be functionally capable of delivering superior levels of reliability and durability compared to other makes. Simple as that. But a surprizingly difficult concept for some people to grasp. default_biggrin

Paul:

There seem to be some differences between the Toyota oil filter in your photo and the ones I own. Take a look at one of mine:

http://img8.exs.cx/img8/4277/Toyota90915YZZA2OilFilter.jpg

One problem is you say there are four threads but I'm having a problem counting more than three; maybe I'm counting the wrong thing. Also, the basic design (with the exception of the "O" Ring seal, seems quite different. What gives?

Guest Paul Cherubini

One problem is you say there are four threads but I'm having a problem counting more than three; maybe I'm counting the wrong thing.

The pictures I showed were oil filters for the Toyota 4 cyl truck engines. These are medium sized filters and moderately larger than the Corolla filters, but the aftermarket decided to try and get by with just 3 threads whereas Toyota went to 4 threads for its medium sized and large filters.

As you pointed out, both Toyota and the aftermarket use 3 threads for its small oil filters like the Corolla filter.

Likewise Toyota doesn't try to get by with an paper thin filter shell like the aftermarket does. Toyota uses a 23% heavier and thicker metal for the shell.

This not only makes the filter less susceptible to bursting and leaks, but also greatly reduces the chance of the filter collapsing when the owner changes it. One of the maddening things that can happen when changing an aftermarket filter is the filter shell can collapse when trying to unscrew it with the oil filter wrench.

This not only makes the filter less susceptible to bursting and leaks, but also greatly reduces the chance of the filter collapsing when the owner changes it. One of the maddening things that can happen when changing an aftermarket filter is the filter shell can collapse when trying to unscrew it with the oil filter wrench.

how many times in the history of the western world has an oil filter failed by 'bursting'? for steel do you know the pressures that would require??? well above what car oil pressure is.

the only time that a filter collapses is if you put it on too tight - like i did in my first oil change.

Paul Cherubini is posting half-truths and misinformation to make a point. Here are a few facts to disspel his argument:

I took a cheapo SuperTech filter, and measured the thickness of the filter's outer shell. At multiple locations, I measured a thickness of .0120". I don't know how that compares to a Toyota filter, but let me give you an idea of what this means.

Let's assume that this filter was made from interstitial-free DDQ material - the softest steel possible for this application, with no bake- or age-hardening capability. After forming, the yield strength of this steel will be well in excess of 30 KSI (probably closer to 40 KSI but for a really conservative estimate, I'll stick with 30 KSI). At .012" thick, this translates to a wall yield strength of 360 psi. This means that the filter won't even start to bulge until it reaches an oil pressure of 360 psi. The Corolla's internal oil bypass valve is probably set at around 70 psi.

If Toyota is making their filters out of heavier stock, it is likely done for one of two reasons:

• Toyota is building in a much larger safety factor than necessary

• The filter manufacturer is specifying a heavier filter to increase the robustness of the stamping process, therefore increasing stamping productivity.

I happen to be an Automotive Materials Engineer with a degree in Metallurgical Engineering. I call on several auto companies that we sell steel to, including Toyota. I've called several filter manufacturers in the past, and have a very good understanding of the design and manufacturing criteria.

The threads on the base plate are rolled-in, not machined. That means that they are much stronger than the base metal, and significantly stronger than necessary. They're designed that even if a person were stupid enough to tighten the oil filter as tight as he can, he still won't strip the threads.

In summary: Paul Cherubini is making senseless arguments that don't have any bearing on the quality of the filter Toyota specifies for its vehicles.

The filter manufacturer is specifying a heavier filter to increase the robustness of the stamping process, therefore increasing stamping productivity.

Slalom 44, how??

true, if what PC sez about oil filters is true, then all aftermarket filters will explode - i have not had mine explode, and i have driven hard and fast, lotsa revs.

In fact, i believe that the 7afe corolla motor uses the same filter as the 4cyl camry, and the 1990 nova i drove a while back. These motors are all different in design and technology used - the filter is not 'designed' for these motors. the Z386 filter (aussie code) merely fits these vehicles.

i guess i will wait around for the day my filter explodes...KABOOM!!!!!!!!!

default_laugh

so anyway, with only 3000 miles on my 2004 i changed to m1. i think i may have burned a few ounces (2-5) of m1 during a 3k mile trip. one person told me it's actually good for an engine to burn a LITTLE oil. true? anyway, i'll blindly believe in the claims (tests) of superiority of one oil over m1, which is what i use now. also a syn and also a little burnoff, but awesome mileage.

Engine will burn some oil - even in perfect shape, just a function of the design of the internal combustion engine. A few ounces inside a typical oil change interval is normal. As far as being good for the engine - probably not good for it, just normal - not like 2 cycle engines and rotaries where they MUST burn oil for proper lubrication.

Guest monarchsabernet

If Toyota is making their filters out of heavier stock, it is likely done for one of two reasons: [*]Toyota is building in a much larger safety factor than necessary

[*]The filter manufacturer is specifying a heavier filter to increase the robustness of the stamping process, therefore increasing stamping productivity.

The threads on the base plate are rolled-in, not machined. That means that they are much stronger than the base metal, and significantly stronger than necessary. They're designed that even if a person were stupid enough to tighten the oil filter as tight as he can, he still won't strip the threads.

In summary: Paul Cherubini is making senseless arguments that don't have any bearing on the quality of the filter Toyota specifies for its vehicles.

Slalom, you have not explained:

1. Why Toyota required Purolator to use Toyota's traditional "O-ring" seal design instead of the

flat seal design Purolator uses for it's own filters.

2. Why Toyota required Purolator make the filter shell out of 23% thicker metal than Purolator uses for its own equivalent sized filter.

3. Why Toyota required Purolater to make the filter with 4 attaching threads instead of 3 threads like Purolator uses for its own equivalent sized filter.

Common sense dictates that all three of these engineering features of the Toyota filter are heavy duty features and increase the production cost of the filter. Common sense dictates that Toyota justified the increased cost to increase filter reliability and durability. It's long been a Toyota tradition to "overengineer" and "overbuild" parts and components. That's how the company grew from a Yugo sized company in the 1950's to the 2nd largest carmaker in the world by 2003.

If Toyota is making their filters out of heavier stock, it is likely done for one of two reasons:  [*]Toyota is building in a much larger safety factor than necessary

[*]The filter manufacturer is specifying a heavier filter to increase the robustness of the stamping process, therefore increasing stamping productivity.

The threads on the base plate are rolled-in, not machined.  That means that they are much stronger than the base metal, and significantly stronger than necessary.  They're designed that even if a person were stupid enough to tighten the oil filter as tight as he can, he still won't strip the threads.

In summary:  Paul Cherubini is making senseless arguments that don't have any bearing on the quality of the filter Toyota specifies for its vehicles.

Slalom, you have not explained:

1. Why Toyota required Purolator to use Toyota's traditional "O-ring" seal design instead of the

flat seal design Purolator uses for it's own filters.

2. Why Toyota required Purolator make the filter shell out of 23% thicker metal than Purolator uses for its own equivalent sized filter.

3. Why Toyota required Purolater to make the filter with 4 attaching threads instead of 3 threads like Purolator uses for its own equivalent sized filter.

Common sense dictates that all three of these engineering features of the Toyota filter are heavy duty features and increase the production cost of the filter. Common sense dictates that Toyota justified the increased cost to increase filter reliability and durability. It's long been a Toyota tradition to "overengineer" and "overbuild" parts and components. That's how the company grew from a Yugo sized company in the 1950's to the 2nd largest carmaker in the world by 2003.

I'm wondering why Paul Cherubini must now use another name on his posts? Is it to try to convince people that he actually has a following?

Boooooo, Paul !

The threads on the base plate are rolled-in, not machined.

What does rolled in mean?

I worked in manufactureing at Wix Corp. for fifteen years and I actually ran the tap machines at one time and thats the only process I ever saw there that put the threads in.

If Paul is attempting to attracter a larger "following" by using an alternate username on some of his posts, it's working -- as least as far as I'm concerned. I recognized him immediately, as I know he has something to do with Monarch butterflies, among other things. Paul gives rational, straight-forward and fact-based information and advice, and some Kool-Aid drinker who blindly follows the advice of whomever is selling high-priced products which don't work as well as the parts, fluids, and filters designed and produced specifically for our Toyota vehicles. I believe that my own Corolla will benefit from the fact that I have read and heeded Paul's sound advice, and I believe that others could make that same statement. I don't allow personalities to get in the way of my ability to process facts. For that reason, I think Paul Cherubini, under any username, provides a valuable service to this forum.

That'll be 500 bucks, Paul! default_wink

• 200 posts

Paul has drank every flavor of Kool-Aid that Yukitoshi Funo served him. default_laugh

. Why Toyota required Purolator to use Toyota's traditional "O-ring" seal design instead of the flat seal design Purolator uses for it's own filters.

If paul can back this up, i'd say he is correct.

ok paul, the challenge is in your hands; if you can give the forum objective evidence (NOT toyota advertising material) that genuine toyota parts are good, i think we should give you the benefit of the doubt.

Origianlly posted by Paul Cherubini under the Alias Monarch Sabernet

Required? Do you have proof, or is this just one more thing you're making up? I explained why a 23% thicker shell is unnecessary, now I expect you to provethat it was required of Purolator. I know you don't know what thicknesses Toyota requires of Purolator andthe competition, so here is a FACT: YOU ARE A LIAR!!!

And while you asking me to prove anything, please prove to me why more than three threads is necessaery, and that Toyota requires it. And I want proof, not more of your rhetoric.

It is truly amazing that the moderators on this site did not ban you a long time ago.

Originallyposted by Screamingdan:

What does rolled in mean?I worked in manufactureing at Wix Corp. for fifteen years and I actually ran the tap machines at one time and thats the only process I ever saw there that put the threads in.

Here is an excerpt from http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/faqs/faqlight.html

The threads in most spin-on filters are rolled threads. They are not the cut threads you may be used to seeing on nuts and bolts for example. Rolled threads look very different than cut threads but for spin-on applications they provide a much stronger fit. All major filter manufacturers used roll threads.

As I said, I am a metallurgist with a great deal of experience in the automotive industry. Wix is a member of the Filter Manufacturer's Council, so I very much doubt that they would be fabricating this statement.

Guest Veritas

Calling others "Liars" and generally badmouthing other's input or opinions should be grounds for banning from any site.

I don't know Paul Cherubini, and can't say he's right or wrong about Toyota oil filters.

He has provided some very good input in the past.

If you don't agree with him, by all means state reasons, but leave crude or personal remarks out of your posts.

Guest dragqueen

I explained why a 23% thicker shell is unnecessary,  now I expect you to provethat it was required of Purolator.  I know you don't know what thicknesses Toyota requires of Purolator andthe competition, so here is a FACT:  YOU ARE A LIAR!!!

Slalom44, it is a fact, not an opinion that the Toyota V6 oil filter is 23% thicker and heavier than the equivalent Purolator PureOne oil filter. You can see this at a glance from this photo: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/filterbrick.jpg

You may think "a 23% thicker shell is unnecessary", but I think it's obvious the Toyota engineers feel otherwise.

Originally posted by Veritas:

Calling others "Liars" and generally badmouthing other's input or opinions should be grounds for banning from any site.I don't know Paul Cherubini, and can't say he's right or wrong about Toyota oil filters.

He has provided some very good input in the past.

If you don't agree with him, by all means state reasons, but leave crude or personal remarks out of your posts.

I did not use sarcasm, as Paul Cherubini often does. I did not use contempt, again as Paul Cherubini often does. I stated facts in an Assertive manner. If a person lies, then he is a liar. If he twists statements around to make a point, but is deceptive in his message, he is provoking an argument.

If you read through this thread, as well as most threads that Paul Cherubini has posted, you will see that Paul stirs up emotions. He has certainly angered me, because I am a professional in the automotive industry, and it bothers me to see the kind of stuff he's posted.

Admittedly, I came across as hot-headed, and for that I apologize. But if you look at my posting history, you will see that I don't invoke anger and "stir things up" . And I agree that Paul is a very knowledgeable person with great ideas. It wouldn't bother me if he voiced his opinions and many others do on this site. Instead, he words his opinions as facts, uses sarcasm and contempt in his arguments, and pulls the subject of a thread way off track by the statements he makes. If you look at the direction this thread (and many other threads) has gone, you can see what I am talking about.

Paul Cherubini: You MUST stop creating additional user accounts on this forum. You are creating additional and unneccessary work for the moderators and admins.

If you can hold an intelligent conversation without the need for sarcasm, contempt, insults, etc - then everyone can get along just fine.

For those of you folks that take issue with Mr. Cherubini, I suggest that you IGNORE him and his comments.

Please bring this topic back on track. Allow me to refresh everyone on that topic:

Does anyone run Mobil drive clean oil in their corolla.I used Mobil 1 in my former Pt Cruisers and I drive about 12000 miles a year and I just don't see the justification in the costs.I used to run Havoline in previous cars and I was at WallyWorld and seen this Mobile drive clean oil and bought a case for less than I paid for Mob.1.I got a big jug of Meguiers new Tech car wash as a bonus.What I mean as a bonus,refers to the difference between a price for Mob.1 and a case of Mob. drive clean oil.

I don't see any question in the above quote relating to Toyota versus Purolator oil filters.

Paul Cherubini: You MUST stop creating additional user accounts on this forum. You are creating additional and unneccessary work for the moderators and admins.

If you can hold an intelligent conversation without the need for sarcasm, contempt, insults, etc - then everyone can get along just fine.

For those of you folks that take issue with Mr. Cherubini, I suggest that you IGNORE him and his comments.

Please bring this topic back on track. Allow me to refresh everyone on that topic:

Does anyone run Mobil drive clean oil in their corolla.I used Mobil 1 in my former Pt Cruisers and I drive about 12000 miles a year and I just don't see the justification in the costs.I used to run Havoline in previous cars and I was at WallyWorld and seen this Mobile drive clean oil and bought a case for less than I paid for Mob.1.I got a big jug of Meguiers new Tech car wash as a bonus.What I mean as a bonus,refers to the difference between a price for Mob.1 and a case of Mob. drive clean oil.

I don't see any question in the above quote relating to Toyota versus Purolator oil filters.

Agreed !

I Have used Mobil 1 in the engine and Redline synthetic in the transmission since about 10,000km. But then again, I drive a lot. My 03 Corolla S bought in 02 now has 155,000km (96,000 miles). I change oil at 20,000km intervals and the money savings are great.

IF, however, I drove average miles, then the oil cost question might enter into the equation. I still think, however, that the difference in price is cheap insurance. The difference in protection is extreme.

I, for one, would and will run synthetic in anything I own. I even have it in the lawn mower.

• 200 posts

I am toying with Mobil 1 for next oil change and extending out to at least 5K intervals (maybe 7,500), which in my case would be around 6 months, more than offsetting the $20 for the oil and whatever for the filter.

Topic List