Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Mobile Oil

by Screamingdan, August 13, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

• 200 posts
PC,

Soooooooo ... you advocate using the oil with the lowest UOAs and VOAs if you own a Toyota?

Most any oil, dino or synth, would do fine for the average driver. That seems to be his point.

Guest model1822

I hear ya, Jeff726. It is a valid point. I'm sure a Corolla engine would last longer than the average person intends to keep one with any "SL" rated oil.

But, motor oil analysis is scientific. Marketing hype has little to do with it. It still seems like a good idea to educate yourself on which motor oil is best for your usage and environment.

Guest Paul Cherubini

Soooooooo ... you advocate using the oil with the lowest UOAs and VOAs if you own a Toyota?

UOAs and VOAs mean next to nothing in the real world and you shouldn't let a bunch of old rich (and getting richer) lube salesmen get you IMAGIINING that they mean something important.

The lubrication system of a Toyota engine is only one of six critically important systems. The others are ignition, fuel, emission, cooling and exhaust. If these other 5 systems are not kept in optimum, factory original condition then the engine suffers slight to serious trauma that no oil can overcome and engine life will be reduced, sometimes seriously reduced.

Some practical examples: Spark plugs really need to be changed twice as often as recommended in the toyota manual to maintain optimum fuel economy and Associated optimum ignition system performance and maintain near perfect fuel / air mixtures and the least emissions load that the catalytic converter has to deal with. Likewise, the oxygen sensor

needs to be replaced at the first sign of fuel economy going down instead of waiting until it gets worn enough for the check engine light to come on. And spark plug wires need to be replaced before electrical resistance increases significantly. And the throttle plate needs to be cleaned before it gets really dirty and causes fuel economy and emissions to suffer.

In other words, the owner searching for optimum engine life needs to be anal about the condition of these other 5 systems because they are much more important than the brand of oil used. But the lube salesmen won't tell you that because they want you to think choice of lubes is what really matters. And if they can get away with it, they'll even try to get you IMAGINING that these other 5 systems need some of their specialty products; e.g. their specialty coolant and fuel additives.

UOAs and VOAs mean next to nothing in the real world and you shouldn't let a bunch of old rich (and getting richer) lube salesmen get you IMAGIINING that they mean something important.

You really ARE a piece of work. That's like saying "those tests the doctors do mean nothing, don't believe them unless you want the medical supply companies to get rich. Keep eatinh those cheeseburgers....they won't hurt you"

I hope nobody is stupid enough to listen to your baseless OPINIONS!! You obviously know NOTHING about what you talk about!!

Guest fatcat

"In other words, the owner searching for optimum engine life needs to be anal about the condition of these other 5 systems because they are much more important than the brand of oil used. "

Thanks PC that was the word I was looking for . default_tongue

friendly_jacek

Paul, you failed to disclose that your were kicked from the Bobistheoilguy forum for insulting the members.

This could explain your hostility here.

RE: "Some practical examples: Spark plugs really need to be changed twice as often as recommended in the toyota manual to maintain optimum fuel economy and Associated optimum ignition system performance and maintain near perfect fuel / air mixtures and the least emissions load that the catalytic converter has to deal with. Likewise, the oxygen sensor

needs to be replaced at the first sign of fuel economy going down instead of waiting until it gets worn enough for the check engine light to come on. And spark plug wires need to be replaced before electrical resistance increases significantly. And the throttle plate needs to be cleaned before it gets really dirty and causes fuel economy and emissions to suffer."

C'mon, this is heresy. Toyota's engineers know better!

• 1,424 posts

Mobil 1 has better cold start-up protection. So it would be useful in states where it gets cold. It also has superior resistance againse break-down. It would be more expensive to use Mobil 1 if you continued to change your oil at the same interval as with dino oil, because the Mobil 1 can last longer. That is why Mobil 1 seems to be more expensive, but if the oil lasts 1.5 times as long and costs 1.5 times as much as dino oil, then the price would be the same. So, if you prefer Mobil 1, use it, and don't change your oil as often.

Paul, you failed to disclose that your were kicked from the Bobistheoilguy forum for insulting the members.This could explain your hostility here.

RE: "Some practical examples: Spark plugs really need to be changed twice as often as recommended in the toyota manual to maintain optimum fuel economy and Associated optimum ignition system performance and maintain near perfect fuel / air mixtures and the least emissions load that the catalytic converter has to deal with. Likewise, the oxygen sensor

needs to be replaced at the first sign of fuel economy going down instead of waiting until it gets worn enough for the check engine light to come on. And spark plug wires need to be replaced before electrical resistance increases significantly. And the throttle plate needs to be cleaned before it gets really dirty and causes fuel economy and emissions to suffer."

C'mon, this is heresy. Toyota's engineers know better!

I dunno.

My wifes Stratus is supposed to have about 170HP or so. It doesn't anymore. I think its the spark plugs and wires...I mean, at 81,000, I don't care if they ARE made of platinum.

But, every time I take it in for anything, I am told that it doesn't need done yet.

You'd think that a mechanic would jump at the opportunity to make money...

Heck, my lawn mower had the same spark plug for three years, it looked fine, great wear, perfect gap...but it sure ran a lot better with a new one!

I dunno...as a 26 year old I don't want to even suggest support for someone so quick to pigeonhole me...

Well, here is another story :

My past two vehicles have been trucks: A 91 Chevy S-10 2.5 and a 95 Dodge Dakota 3.9.

In both I used Mobile 1 for the entire time I owned them (my father owned both before me and only used Mobile 1 as well). I typically changed the oil between 6,000 and 7,500.

I sold the S-10 with over 160,000 miles on it and it ran like brand new, and I got about 28MPG every tank.

I sold the Dakota with over 152,000 miles on it and it ran like a champ, quiet and strong as can be. I only got about 19MPG with that one though.

I don't know what is typical, but I figure that if I can get over 150,000 easily out of a crappy american made pickup, I should be able to break 1,000,000 with a nice new Corolla and Moble 1.

Of course, that is completly my own personal experience, I have no oil work done, no real evidence or support other than ten years of car ownership.

G

Gday

I am been using shell helix ultra and pennzoil full synthetic motor oil for 120,000 km on my car. When i open up my valve cover to inspect the valve shim clearance i am 110% satisfied. No traces of sludge and wear present and the same time it is in very prestine conditions. I will stick to synthetic maybe the only time i will switch back to dino oil if i am dead broke.

rey t

Using synthetic oil is like taking vitamins. Do they really help??? Who knows but you feel like you're doing something good for yourself.

1995 Corolla, 1.8, auto w/OD, 152K miles, bought with 105K miles. Still running same plugs, wires cap, air filter. 15K mile Mobil 1 oil changes with PureOne filter, 38 MPG, almost 90K on timing belt. I hope nobody loses any sleep over this info default_biggrin

It ain't broke, don't fix it. If you're mileage has dropped it's time for some TLC.

Jay in MA

Guest Paul Cherubini

Paul, you failed to disclose that your were kicked from the Bobistheoilguy forum for insulting the members.

No, I was kicked off by Bobistheoilguy himself when I started posting pictures of my monster mileage engines that had been maintained with genuine Toyota parts, filters and fluids. I believe Bob and the forum administration / moderators would kick ANYONE off for posting photographic proof that Toyota engines rather routinely run 500,000 miles without ever using specialty oils, specialty engine cleaners or additives or oil analysis. That's because they would all go out of business if everyone used factory original, OEM parts, fluids and filters to maintain their cars.

Here's how I figure things work over there: For every $25.00 bottle of Auto-Rx that's sold,

1. Frank, the owner of the Auto-Rx company gets about $10

2. Bobistheoilguy (or the current owner of the forum) gets about $5

3. Forum admistrators and moderators get about $1-2 each.

friendly_jacek, perhaps someday they will approach you with a financial incentive like this to become a forum administrator or moderator. It would be a nice job - just work at home from your computer and watch the $cash$ roll in.

No, I was kicked off by Bobistheoilguy himself when I started posting pictures of my monster mileage engines that had been maintained with genuine Toyota parts, filters and fluids. I believe Bob and the forum administration / moderators would kick ANYONE off for posting photographic proof that Toyota engines rather routinely run 500,000 miles without ever using specialty oils, specialty engine cleaners or additives or oil analysis. That's because they would all go out of business if everyone used factory original, OEM parts, fluids and filters to maintain their cars.

Here's how I figure things work over there: For every $25.00 bottle of Auto-Rx that's sold,

friendly_jacek, perhaps someday they will approach you with a financial incentive like this to become a forum administrator or moderator. It would be a nice job - just work at home from your computer and watch the $cash$ roll in.

I really don't know what planet PC lives on, but it's not here. I've seen ONE "monster mileage Toyota" in my 56 years, and the body was scrap. It got 400,000km (240,000 miles) and was burning oil badly.

Toyota's are great cars for the price, and I love mine, but I am realistic.

BTW, you were kicked off Bobistheoilguy for making wild unsubstantiated claims, and for name calling. Let's get this straight.

PC.

if you'd have b*lls you would have already post the pictures of "monster millage truck" of yours insted of "engine" and "speedo". Will you post? I do not think so...`

Guest 98corolla110k

just gotta comment on the mobile oil issue here i have used mobile-1 synthetic 5-w 30 year round in my 98 corolla with a jug of pro-long oil additive every other change i change oil and filter every 5,000 miles this vehicle has NEVER given me any problems other than a rather pesky cel for my e-vap control i drive the car every day in all weather and i will tell you if i could find another one with low miles i would buy it and store it till this one wears out.... if it ever does p.s. is my 41 m.p.g. un usual for this car. there arent any roads here over the 55 mph speed so that may help huh?

I've posted my story on BITOG numerous times about getting long engine life (currently 215,000 miles on my Corolla) and no accumulated sludge or deposits (yes, I have pictures) withough using any additives, engine cleaners or synthetic oil. And I've never had an argument with anyone about it and I'm still an active member of BITOG. I've gone back and read some of PC's posts, and I can see that although he wasn't as abrasive as he's become on this website, he did his share of rubbing a few guys the wrong way. I havent seen all of his posts, but his departure was discussed a while back and it was stated that something he posted was in direct contradiction to something he posted elswhere on the web. That implies that someone believed that he was lieing.

I don't know if that's true, but I think that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. PC is known for saying that using genuine Toyota products is the only right way of maintaining your car and you are taking unnecessary risks if you do otherwise. Well, I know from experience that this is not true. If you are intelligent about your choices, your car will last longer than you will keep it and you don't have to spend nearly as much as you would with genuine Toyota parts and fluids (with the possible exception of coolant). If you piss someone off that has power over you, then you should expect consequences.

Slolom44:

I can't really say that I agree what that. Genuine Toyota parts, fluids, and filters are, indeed, engineered specifically for our Toyota vehicles. What could possibly be better for them -- ****uming we wish to maintain the vehicle's original specification performance and economy?

Probably the most commonly "consumed" maintence parts are oil and air filters, and I find the genuine Toyota versons to be most competitive price-wise. I recently purchased a case of 12 90915-YZZA2 oil filters for my '03 Corolla for $3.99 each. I cannot find a comprable aftermarket brand filter for that low of a price. The Toyota air filter I recently purchased was only $15.00 (including NY sales tax; I actually live in Delaware which has no sales tax) and I can't find an an aftermarket equivalent for less than that. About the only non-Toyota brand item I plan to use in maintaining my Corolla is Mobil 1 motor oil, which is only about $4.00 a quart when you buy the 5-quart jug at Wal*Mart. I've been thinking about switching back to dino oil, and if I do, I may just go and buy the Toyota brand 5W30 motor oil. My local Toyota Stealer charges about $2.39 a quart, which is the same as Castrol GTX, but this way I get to put oil in my motor that has the Toyota name brand on it. I like that kind of re****urance.

Paul Cherubini got outstanding results using factory products in his vehicles, and there is a lesson to be learned from that. He probably would not have had better results if he spent twice the money on "aftermarket" parts, fluids, and filters. To me, this just sounds like good, sound judgement. If he got kicked off the "Bob is a wise guy" or whatever that web site is, then perhaps it is a blessing in disguise, since they obviously aren't ever going to be impressed by anything said by anyone who doesn't slavishly latch on to their high-priced products.

Just FYI: As far as parts being engineered for our vehicles, that is true to a point. In my Tacoma I would never anything but OEM plug wires and either NGK or Nippo plugs. As far as the filters...Toyota doesn't build them. The lowest bidder builds the filters. I did a little unscientific test myself in the last year or so before I sold my 2002 Taco. Running the same oil (Mobil 1 5W-30) and the same mileage interval and driving conditions. I ran an interval with each of the following filters: OEM, Mobil 1, WIX and K&N. The best results by far was with the WIX and that was with the majority of colder weather. The OEM was second, third was K&N, and Mobil 1 was much worse. Theoretically the M1 filter filters much better than any other filter, but in doing so it is too restrictive and causes iincreased wear (i.e. copper and lead). This was what happened in my case.

Originally posted by Larry Roll:

I can't really say that I agree what that.

Larry, based on your response it does not appear that you interpreted me correctly. I stated, "PC is known for saying that using genuine Toyota products is the only right way of maintaining your car and you are taking unnecessary risks if you do otherwise". The operative word is "Only". I did not in any way say that his way was not good. I implied that there are other safe ways to maintain your vehicle.

I've used primarily SuperTech oil and filters, I've switched more recently to an oversized AC Delco PF-53 oil filter, I've used cheapo replacement brakes from AutoZone with a free replacement guarantee (which I've used), and I've used other items purchased from places like AutoZone like remanufactured alternator & starter & replacement belts & water pump. If you look at my total cost for these maintenance items you will find that I spent less on maintenance (significantly less than your Mobil 1 oil) and continue to have no trouble.

Here is my point: Using Genuine Toyota parts and accessories is not the only good way of maintaining your vehicle. And Paul's heavy sarcasm doesn't change that. If Paul just promoted the positive results he's had with Toyota stuff, I don't think he would have irritated anyone on this site. But that's not what he does. He calls people names, claims that we're taking unnecessary risks, and generally implies that he is right and everyone else is wrong.

Guest Paul Cherubini

He claims that we're taking unnecessary risks, and generally implies that he is right and everyone else is wrong.

Slalom44, you seem to only understand "risk" from an oil analysis standpoint. Below is a real world example of how UNFORSEEN risks can occur when you use aftermarket parts, fluids and filters. Below was posted on the Toyota campers forum from a guy went to a Toyota dealer to get an oil & filter change for this 2001 Tacoma:

"The maddest I have ever been at a car dealer was last year I was visiting

friends in WI and had my oil changed in my 2001 Tacoma at a dealer I don't

remember the name of now. When I started the engine, I noticed the oil

pressure was lower than normal. When I popped my hood, I saw that they used

a "white box" no name oil filter!

I went in asking why they did that and they said they didn't stock the

Toyota filters for the service bays, only for over the counter sales."

Paul:

That tells us exactly what we need to know about genuine Toyota oil filters. The dealer probably offers an oil change/service "package" for a fixed price, and in order to wring some profit out of it, he couldn't possibly afford to use a genuine Toyota oil filter. On the other hand, he makes enough of a profit selliing them over the counter because there is a high demand for them among the do-it-yourselfers -- because they ARE the best filter for their Toyota vehicles! I will never use anything but, and like I said, I invested in a case of them! 11 to go before I buy my NEXT case!

He claims that we're taking unnecessary risks, and generally implies that he is right and everyone else is wrong.

Slalom44, you seem to only understand "risk" from an oil analysis standpoint. Below is a real world example of how UNFORSEEN risks can occur when you use aftermarket parts, fluids and filters. Below was posted on the Toyota campers forum from a guy went to a Toyota dealer to get an oil & filter change for this 2001 Tacoma:

"The maddest I have ever been at a car dealer was last year I was visiting

Toyota filters for the service bays, only for over the counter sales."

Absolute and complete BS.

This is a prime example of a contrived post.

I've had 5 brands of filters, plus "Genuine Toyota" on my 03 Corolla. There was absolutely NO difference in oil pressure, or oil cleanliness after 5000km, at all. That dealer, if he is real, used non-Toyota filters because even he didn't see the difference for the difference in price.

Guest Paul Cherubini

Absolute and complete BS. This is a prime example of a contrived post.

It's a 100% authentic post and here it is in it's entirety:

Date: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:43 pm

Subject: Re: [toyota-campers] (rad flush) +oil changes

Barbara Genuario wrote:

>when it comes to an oil change, I'm ****uming one can generally rely on the

>toyota dealer to do a quality job?

The maddest I have ever been at a car dealer was last year I was visiting

Toyota filters for the service bays, only for over the counter sales. They

also said they used no name "SE" oil that didnt even meet Toyota's specs! I

raised so much hell that they gave me the correct filter 5 Quarts of Toyota

branded oil AND my money back after I called Toyota from my cell phone while

I was still in the dealership.

I personally changed my own oil in their parking lot then went on my way.

Possum

Smells like a 100% authentic BS post to me. default_biggrin

SE API service - come on. default_blink An API designation introduced in 1979 and dealer still has stock. Right.

Poster can't remember name of dealership? If they shafted me like that - I'd guarantee that I would remember their name.

Boy - did this get off topic. Started as a question of Mobil oil Drive Clean and ended up with as a smack fest of Toyota OEM vs the rest of the world. That's probably why I enjoy this forum so much. default_tongue

AMEN!!!

The sheer idiocy of some posts, and the entertainment value of others, are certainly worth the price of admission. default_laugh

Guest Paul Cherubini

: The sheer idiocy of some posts, and the entertainment value of others, are certainly worth the price of admission. default_laugh

Toyota filters, fluids and parts have numerous unique fail safe features if you bother to look:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/filter.jpg

If Toyota didn't bother with little quality details like this then Toyota's wouldn't be functionally capable of delivering superior levels of reliability and durability compared to other makes. Simple as that. But a surprizingly difficult concept for some people to grasp. default_biggrin

Topic List